Sporadic auto log out

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Sporadic auto log out

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:Let us know the results.
(later: I spoke too son; see foot)So far so good, although I dislike the method.
1.JPG
The first bookmark menu, single item, appears to log me in to the lounge; "appears to" because I just use it blindly, so have no way of knowing whether or not I was logged in. For a couple of weeks (has it been that long?) I've been in/out intermittently.
2.JPG
The second menu item, used as open All In Tabs, works well - I end up in each forum logged in, with the leftmost icons red - indicating new posts, ability to Quote etc.
So what?
It's not conclusive, but to continue like this means I have a sure way of entering a set of forums with minimal labor.
The bad part is that taking that extra step (an extra menu item to be opened) is little different from waiting for the log-on screen to appear, waiting 2 seconds for the user/pwd to appear, and clicking Login. And for most users it appears to be unnecessary.
I am tempted to sign on as a different user just to see if the problem persists; if it does chances are strong that my system is faulty; if not, then chances are it is (somehow) related to something outside my system.
(about 2 hours later)I re-opened FireFox, used the Index page bookmark and found myself logged out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Pilgrim wrote:Just a suggestion... it appears that your preferred browser is Firefox, yes? Aside from my aversion to Firefox, it may be prudent to visit the board using IE, open 4 or 5 or xxxx tabs and see if the same logout issue rears its ugly head. IF the problem doesn't occur, then perhaps... just perhaps the problem is not the board software, assuming others, even those using Firefox aren't experiencing this problem, is your version of Firefox or an addon you have, or a corruption in the browser itself? Image
(I dragged this conversation away from the "Five Skins", where it was getting off-topic - My fault)
Thanks for the suggestions Jeff.
I'm willing to try anything, even ie. I'm using v6.0, no tabs in there.
What version are you using that has tabs?
... corruption in the browser itself? ...
I plan to rebuild the machine this weekend; that may fix quite a few problems that have bene popping up.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Internet Explorer 6 isn't being updated any more, it is full of security holes. Tabs were introduced in IE7, but I recommend upgrading to the latest version, IE8.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:...upgrading to the latest version, IE8.
Thanks Hans, here I go ...
(later)This might turn into one of those "dumb question" threads. I can't see "Open All in Tabs" at the foot of my "Eileen" folder, and I didn't really expect to see it, but after wandering around for a couple of minutes in the Help screens I didn't see anything that hinted at opening a set of favorites in burst mode.
I confess to feeling lonely; I've got the feeling that I'm the only one in the world using open All In Tabs to view lounge forums ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
HansV wrote:...upgrading to the latest version, IE8.
Thanks I can't see "Open All in Tabs" at the foot of my "Eileen" folder, and I didn't really expect to see it, but after wandering around for a couple of minutes in the Help screens I didn't see anything that hinted at opening a set of favorites in burst mode.
I confess to feeling lonely; I've got the feeling that I'm the only one in the world using open All In Tabs to view lounge forums ...
In IE8:

If you have folder in Favorites, push the Favorites button, hover on the folder, then click the arrow at the right.

Alternately, create a tab group.

Joe
Joe

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

JoeP wrote:... push the Favorites button, hover on the folder, then click the arrow at the right.
Thanks Joe.
That's one small step for mankind ...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

JoeP wrote:...upgrading to the latest version, IE8 ..
It has been a couple of days now.
IE8 does what I want, in the sense that when I load it after a reboot, I am still logged in, and when I open All In Tabs, each tab is opened logged in.
This suggests a problem in Firefox, or in my system.

I did not rebuild my system over the weekend, my plans not coinciding with the universe's spiral out of control, but it seems best to me to rebuild a clean system as soon as posisble rather than spend time here and HERE worrying about what it might be.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans