Sporadic auto log out

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Sporadic auto log out

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:- perhaps the cookies can't keep track of so many open tabs...
Perhaps.
I split my tabs into two groups yesterday, with a view to seeing if it was perhaps sheer rate-of-play that was causing timing confusion somewhere between FireFox and The Lounge. Today I'll give the new setup a bit of a workout (normal workday schedule/load etc.)

I note Al's comment.

This morning in my email Inbox was one notification.
I clicked on the link (from the email message) and Firefox opened IN the appropriate forum AT the appropriate message WITH me logged ON.
Just as it should be.
I then opened all-in-tabs my first group (Lounge Matters, VBA, Excel, Word, Windows XP), and am logged ON in all five.
I then opened all-in-tabs my second group (), and am logged ON in all five. (Hardware, Scuttlebut, Cooking, Mozilla Firefox), and am logged ON in all four.
Just as it should be.

Give me 24 hours to settle in.
My first impression is that Firefox/Lounge IS having a problem with more than 5 tabs, but 24 hours of running might prove something one way or another.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Bigaldoc wrote:... test to add a bookmark to the INDEX page and put it at the top of the list to see if that helps.
Thanks Al, could be, If Firefox/Lounge DOES require a tab at INDEX for everything to work properly, that traps the bug in a smaller enclosure. I'll keep that test in hand. I don't usually visit Index, but can do so for the sake of bug-trapping.

As you will see from my parallel response to Hans, I am playing for the next 24 hours with a reduced set of 5 and 4 tabs in a group.

If today runs well, I'll probably try moving a tab from the small group to the large group one tab one day at a time.
This will be a slow process, spread over several days, but the problem appeared to be somewhat intermittent during a normal working day, and of course, sometimes I leave Firefox sitting open in a forum, and sometimes I close it down.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I spoke too soon! This morning (just now) when I ran that 5-bookmarks-in-tabs thing I was logged OUT in all five tabs!

I guess it does have to be a timing thing because in my "normal" daily coming to The Lounge I don't usually run all five that way. I just open the Index page and Who's Online individually and haven't had this logged out problem since we started - what's that, nine days ago...

At a loss to explain...

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

StuartR wrote:This is most odd, and I am pretty sure that you have been singled out for special treatment as we have not had any other similar reports.
  • What web browser are you using?
  • What browser add-ons are installed?
  • Are you connecting from behind a corporate router of some kind, or just a standard home network?
This just happened to me at about 13:50 EST. Browsing around, made a post amd went to return to Forum lists and there I was at a log in screen?

Added; Using IE8, no addons, standard home network
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

I'm afraid to say this, but I've yet to be logged out of Eileen's Lounge! I use Firefox V3.5.7 and click on the link I have for the index page. From there, I check out the various forums for new posts and spend happy times reading to my heart's content. :yep:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

This question in the FAQ at least explains my "issue"; being logged off after some time of inactivity. Mentioned above in this thread here post 3124.

The first time it happened, I had been away for some 4 hours, next time around 1 hour. In my case I had not used the "Log me in automatically box".

The only question in my case, not using that box (at the moment), is if the mentioned "preset time" is still there, some default setting (?), or if this has been changed by the Admins when they "tailored" the software for this Lounge.
Login and Registration Issues

Why do I get logged off automatically?
If you do not check the Log me in automatically box when you login, the board will only keep you logged in for a preset time. [...]
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Sessions are set to expire after 3600 seconds (1 hour) of inactivity. I don't think we admins have changed that value.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Thank you Hans.

I only asked because if the preset time wasn't there, then there must be another explanation. One hour match my experiences, and I have no problem with that.

I don't know if the other issue, the main issue, in this thread is related to this, and that somehow the activity isn't noticed and then someone gets logged off. But I will try changing my settings in the browser and then test with the "Log me in automatically" box.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:Sessions are set to expire after 3600 seconds (1 hour) of inactivity. I don't think we admins have changed that value.
This is getting to be my biggest pain, and inhibits my reading of forums.
Is there a way to disable the 3600-second setting for an individual subscriber?
I hate to draw comparisons, but "... this never used to happen before". I'd go weeks, months, without logging out, and without having to log back in several times a day. (signed)"Mutterer" of Toronto.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

You need to take a speed reading course and be ale to read and respond to any thread in less than 20 seconds :evilgrin:
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The one-hour limit only holds if you don't tick the check box "Log me on automatically each visit".
If you do tick that check box, you will remain logged in until your Lounge cookie crumbles. I do that, and it works well for me.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

ChrisGreaves wrote:...This is getting to be my biggest pain, and inhibits my reading of forums.
Ya wanna try another test that has been working for me for two days now?

Setup the Index page in a bookmark all by itself and all your other Lounge links in a separate one.

Then, if you have the aforementioned checkbox ticked and open the Index page FIRST, then the rest with the popular "Open all in tabs" it should open them all in a logged in condition. It's worked for me yesterday and today.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

ChrisGreaves wrote:...without having to log back in several times a day...
Upon reading your post a second time, I'm not sure if you're talking about the original problem put forth by Pilgrim in this thread OR the multiple tabs thing we discussed also. If it's the spontaneous logout after browsing or searching, my proposal doesn't stand. Mike and the other Admins are the only ones who can talk about that one.

But, about the tabs thing, I think that for some reason, The Lounge has to see you first in one tab where you're logged in. Then, if you open all the others in one fell swoop it seems to be working OK. In my test, I open to the Index page where I'm logged in. Then when I execute all the others, they start by overwriting the index page with the first of the bookmarks. There just seems to be some sort of timing problem and I have no idea what it is.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:If you do tick that check box, you will remain logged in until your Lounge cookie crumbles.
That's the theory (and in your case and many others, the practice), but in my case not so. I have to log in just about every time I visit the lounge, and yes, I'm checking ON the check box.
But see also my responses to Al below....

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Bigaldoc wrote:Setup the Index page in a bookmark all by itself and all your other Lounge links in a separate one.
I'm going to run with this for 24 hours.
I see it as a work-around, because I think that if the lounge is supposed to remember me as "logged in", then it should remember me as "logged in", and I should be able to open any forum in any sequence in any quantity, and be Logged In.
That's not happening, and chances are high that it is due to
(1) Some quirk that arises on my machine (and on a few otjher machines by the sound of it)
(2) Some volume event (too many tabs)
(3) Some timing event.

FWIW I almost never use the Index Page; I visit forum indexes for those forums in which I'm interested (Scuttlebutt, VBA, Cooking etc)

Having to open the Index page before visiting the VBA forum to avoid logging on before visiting the VBA forum is a non sequitor, a paradox, an oxymoron, or just an equivalent waste of energy.

In another lounge, far far away, I had to log in only when I'd cleared my cookies or gotten overenthusiastic with CCCleaner or similar abrasive products that scratched the Teflon of my daily routine.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Bigaldoc wrote: If it's the spontaneous logout after browsing or searching, my proposal doesn't stand.
My original and remaining problem is not staying logged In. The multiple tabs questions arose as a possible source of irritation to the system.
... The Lounge has to see you first in one tab where you're logged in. Then, if you open all the others in one fell swoop ...
This I will run with.
Two Firefox bookmark folders.
One folder with the main lounge Index, logged-in-and-let's-see-if-I-stay-logged-in
One folder with all my regular haunts, and if the first folder logs me in, let's see if i can open my daily dose in one swell foop.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Let us know the results. Thanks in advance!
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

FWIW I almost never use the Index Page
That just may be your problem. I visit several forums where one MUST visit the index page to be automatically logged in.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

DaveA wrote:
FWIW I almost never use the Index Page
That just may be your problem. I visit several forums where one MUST visit the index page to be automatically logged in.
While I don't open several Lounge tabs automatically in my browser (Chrome), my preferred method of navigating this Lounge is via the View unread posts link, and I have that set up as one of my home page tab set. So far I've always been logged in automatically, and I haven't yet experienced any sporadic log-out events, either; so I don't think the problem stems from not first visiting the index.
Samantha

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

ChrisGreaves wrote:... if the first folder logs me in, let's see if i can open my daily dose in one swell foop.
Ya know what's funny (or strange) about this, Chris? I initially suggested the Index page but that ain't necessarily so. I have ticked the box to keep me logged in, way long ago.

If I get up in the morning and, for my first Lounge experience, open the Lounge to my "Who's Online" bookmark, it works just fine. I AM logged in and I get the Online screen. If I do the same, initially opening ANY Lounge bookmark, it works just fine. So the moral of the story seems to be entering the Lounge with ONE bookmark, whatever it is. And THEN mass-opening the rest separately.

Corn-fusing to say the least.