External Links

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

External Links

Post by Bigaldoc »

I know this topic has been discussed "elsewhere" but I'd like to bring it up here too.

Can we change the software so that external links ALWAYS open in a new tab (or window if tab isn't possible)?

When reading a post that contains a link, usually external, it's distracting to have that link open where I'm reading the thread. I know, I can always right-click and open in a new tab that way, and I've been trying to remember to do that.

StuartR
Administrator

Re: External Links

Post by StuartR »

Bigaldoc wrote:...Can we change the software so that external links ALWAYS open in a new tab (or window if tab isn't possible)?
This is on the list of things to do. It requires an edit to every skin, as well as changes to a couple of system files. We know what needs doing it is just a matter of prioritising and scheduling the work.
StuartR

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Thanks Stuart. It can wait for a proper time. Wow, actually a "management" response!

(Sorry I couldn't resist.)

AlanMiller1
NewLounger

Post by AlanMiller1 »

Bigaldoc wrote:I know, I can always right-click and open in a new tab that way, and I've been trying to remember to do that.
Al, try clicking the link with your middle mouse button (wheel). Works for me in both IE and FF - opens link in a new tab, but keeps the focus on the one I'm reading/ clicking from.

:2cents:
Alan

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

AlanMiller wrote:
Bigaldoc wrote:I know, I can always right-click and open in a new tab that way, and I've been trying to remember to do that.
Al, try clicking the link with your middle mouse button (wheel). Works for me in both IE and FF - opens link in a new tab, but keeps the focus on the one I'm reading/ clicking from.
Unless... you have configured your wheel to do something specific, e.g., on my Logitech MX Revolution, clicking the top wheel (it also has a side wheel which I have configured to raise/lower volume) switches from ratching scroll mode to free spin mode. The only other feasible alternative other than right-clicking and choosing "Open in new tab" is to copy the URL, open a new tab and paste the URL in the Address Bar. No complaints here, as this is simply a very minor annoyance which I can live with. At least the links are live. Image
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Pilgrim wrote: [snip]
The only other feasible alternative other than right-clicking and choosing "Open in new tab" is to copy the URL, open a new tab and paste the URL in the Address Bar. No complaints here, as this is simply a very minor annoyance which I can live with. At least the links are live. Image
Or have, as I do, a MX400 with a "sturdy" wheel, a bit difficult to press/click. But if anyone have configured their wheel to do some magic :grin: I think they will know about it. One can also always do a Ctrl-click to open in a new tab; easy since using the normal mouse button, and since Ctrl is easy to reach.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Mike has applied the necessary modifications. Links should now open in a new tab/window by default.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

HansV wrote:Mike has applied the necessary modifications. Links should now open in a new tab/window by default.
This will affect all future posts, but not posts that you have already submitted, unless you go back and edit them.
StuartR

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

HansV wrote:Mike has applied the necessary modifications. Links should now open in a new tab/window by default.
Thanks for the notification, Hans. And THANK YOU Mike! That was fast. I think maybe he might have been working on it last night but I was sleepy and went to bed. This morning, before I got here I clicked a link in a Doc Watson thread and wham-o, it worked!

That's really convenient...

:thankyou: