Skins + highlighted [boxed] when topic is selected

curious
3StarLounger

Skins + highlighted [boxed] when topic is selected

Post by curious »

Hi -

I prefer to use Prosilver or Subsilver2 but after selecting a topic to view and then returning to the other topics in that forum, the selection doesn't appear to "keep" its highlighting--which makes it easier to find where you were on the forum page. The other skins do retain the highlighting until another choice is made.

I hope this is somewhat clearer than mud.

Thank you.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Skins + highlighted [boxed] when topic is selected

Post by HansV »

I think it depends on several factors, among which your browser and its cache settings. This is what I see:

In IE8, none of the skins show the thread I selected when using the Back button to return from a thread to the forum.

In Firefox 3.6, all skins except prosilver display a dotted rectangle around the selected thread when using the Back button to return from a thread to the forum.

I fear there's not much we can do about it. You might experiment with the way your browser refreshes pages.
Best wishes,
Hans

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

Afternoon, Hans -

I upgraded to Firefox 3.6 (from 3.5.8) and my setup doesn't give the dotted rectangle around the skin. Perhaps it's a video card issue?

Thank you for sleuthing on my behalf,

Curious

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't think it has to do with the video card. I suspect it has to do with the way the browser handles the Back button - does it retrieve the copy of the forum page from the cache (which should show the thread selected) or does it download it from the web again (losing the "memory" of the selected thread)?
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

curious wrote:... after selecting a topic to view and then returning to the other topics in that forum, the selection doesn't appear to "keep" its highlighting ...
Perhaps you missed something that Hans said. Although I've not yet upgraded to 3.6 Fx, if I return to a forum using the BACK button (as Hans mentioned) the thread subject IS "boxed" as you desire. BUT, if you use the breadcrumb line and click the forum name, the previously viewed thread is NOT boxed. It seems to have something to do with the back button, although I never use it.

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

Hans and Big Al -

When I click Back, I see "http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewforum.php?f=12"

Is this of help? Please don't spend time on this--laziness doesn't deserve much time. Oxymoronic?

Thanks.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You confirm that you use the Back button, not the "breadcrumb" trail as Big Al suspected. We can't change the behavior of the Back button.
Best wishes,
Hans