Code Snippets POLL

Do you believe the posting of Code Snippets would be worthwhile?

Yes
25%
No
75%

Total votes: 12

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Code Snippets POLL

Post by Rudi »

viking33 wrote:
HansV wrote:As with most discussion boards, the majority of members go straight to the relevant (or sometimes not so relevant :sad:) forum, post a question, and wait for replies.
How boring. :sad:
It is a bit thoughtless, or thankless, isn't it!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:Still, most of our members will acknowledge a reply and post a reaction. I'm also active on various Microsoft forums. There, many users post a question and never come back, even though the moderators ask them whether the replies they received were helpful...
It's worse on my ISP's forums. There a user posts a question and frequently nothing happens. The post appears to gets lots of views but no one replies, not even ISP staff or site moderators. I suspect the many views are not real views and are from bots crawling the site.

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Doc.AElstein wrote:...the combinations of carriage-returns and Tabs ...sorting manipulating spreadsheet ranges….
Hi Doc.
I was manipulating VBA program code, not workbook contents.
I defined delimiters for every level (procedure, module, file, folder) and then just sucked it all in.
The Instr function made searching super-fast.

Cheers
Chris
By definition, educating the client is the consultant’s first objective

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

ChrisGreaves wrote:... Instr function made searching super-fast...
Yeh, the general technique of putting things in a string then using the Instr to find them is something I have been looking at a bit as well recently. Splitting and Joining things by delimiters as well is what I have been practicing more and more.

More recently I took some interest in manipulating the code stings in The VB Editor, so doing something like you do might be something I might think of doing later to tidy up my messy code storing system..
Alan
Last edited by Doc.AElstein on 23 Feb 2019, 19:26, edited 2 times in total.
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Rudi wrote:..It is a bit thoughtless, or thankless, isn't it!
It can be a bit difficult for posters these days to know how to act.
At stack overflow, for example, you can be punished for using words like Hello, Please and Thank you.
I have noticed that some polite “Human” words are also taken out automatically when you post.
I know some owners of larger Forums and Blog sites encourage short quick questions and answers in an attempt to compete with stack overflow.
I sometimes wonder if the motive is to build up an almost infinitely massive data bank of short questions and answers which some Google type search routine could be applied to. The end result would be part of the brain of the robots that will take over us. :(
At the other extreme you have some places with Moderator and Admin teams living out some fantasy that they have some job of authority to moderate or administrate members like they were their small children … worse – some abuse their authority very badly..
I also notice that almost all of us get unconsciously used to the short message culture. I notice even experienced forum users frequently miss all but the last post: It can be very frustrating on the larger forums: You do a full answer , exactly what the poster wants. Someone posts a shorter, possibly not complete or even wrong answer just after.. .. the original poster takes that, says thanks, and you never see him again…

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Doc.AElstein wrote:the code stings
Yes, sometimes it does sting, doesn't it...
Best wishes,
Hans

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

:smile:

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Doc.AElstein wrote:At the other extreme you have some places with Moderator and Admin teams living out some fantasy that they have some job of authority to moderate or administrate members like they were their small children … worse – some abuse their authority very badly.
I avoid many larger forums exactly due to this.
I do understand the need to moderate, but 90% of it is WAY overboard.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.