Windows Live Mail 2012 updated.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows Live Mail 2012 updated.

Post by HansV »

Click the Start button in the lower left corner of the screen.
Select Control Panel.
Type mail in the search box in the upper right corner of Control Panel.
You should see either 'Mail' or 'Mail (32-bit)' depending your Windows version.
Click this.
The Mail control panel has 4 buttons:
- E-mail Accounts...
- Data Files...
- Show Profiles...
- Close
Click 'Show Profiles...'.
Click 'Add...' to create a new profile.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

You're looking too closely.

If you've found your way to the Control Panel then the next thing top look for is an applet called 'Mail'.

Ken

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

I've been following this exchange so that I can learn more about WLM 2012. Have to say that I'm as confused as Slim on this one - I cannot find anything about a 'mail control panel'. I cannot find any 'mail' applet either under category view or icon view. When I go to 'control panel' and type in 'mail' in the search box I get:-
Capture.GIF
Confused!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Some articles I found in Google led me to believe that the Mail control panel would always be availabe, but it looks like the Mail control panel is only available if you have Outlook installed. So creating a mail profile is not possible.
Could there be a rule that redirects the messages to the older inbox?
Best wishes,
Hans

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Thanks for info. I don't have Outlook so will be interesting to see whether Slim has it or not.
Regards,
Regards,
Keith

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Slim wrote: What am I missing?
Slim
I think your account settings are wrong, check with your mail provider for the correct settings. Click 'Accounts' then 'Properties' on WLM ribbon.
These are my Gmail settings:-
RR.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Slim
StarLounger

Post by Slim »

Hans,
I did as you suggested and entered "Mail" in the search box on Control Panel.
I got "No Items match your search".
"Search Windows Help and Support for "mail" ".
I did go Frontier Technical Support for help and after running a gauntlet the tech I spoke with gave up. He told me the trouble was with the mail program and not with the Frontier server. I was left just as I am now. I cannot download my e-mail.
I have gone to Windows Live Mail, Accounts, Properties and could not see any problem with the settings. I must be missing something.
Do you have any further suggestions? I do appreciate your help.
Best regards,
Slim

Slim
StarLounger

Post by Slim »

Roderunner,
Many thanks for providing your account settings. I did review them carefully and though mine differ slightly I could not pick up a discrepancy that would prevent me from downloading my e-mail. It is probably just a nit somewhere that occurred when I upgraded WLM. It seems that is when the problem started.
Best regards,
Slim

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You might try a system restore to a date before you updated Windows Live Mail.
Best wishes,
Hans

Slim
StarLounger

Post by Slim »

Thanks Hans for the suggestion to "restore". That would of course negate the Windows Live Mail update. It would appear that something is amiss in the account settings that has not yet been detected. I will keep trying and as a last resort will turn to "restore".
Best regards,
Slim

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Slim, check your account properties on the 'Servers' tab, making sure you have not entered a 'comma' instead of a 'dot'
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Slim
StarLounger

Post by Slim »

Dear all,
I was fortunate to acquire the services of a Microsoft Tech who came out to the house to see about the problem. He went through all that I had done but again without a solution to the problem. He contacted Frontier (the server) tech service and went through all they had to offer with no solution to the problem. So we started again from zero and set up the account just as we had before, same settings, same everything. Then he rebooted and lo and behold it all worked.
I wish I could report just what the source of the problem was but I cannot. With luck everything should hold up just fine.
He did suggest as he left that I reboot at least every week or so as a matter of practice. He said the RAM could get clogged up through ordinary usage and a reboot would clear that up. I guess I learned something there.
Many thanks to all for your assistance. It is appreciated.
Best regards,
Slim

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Phew, I'm glad it has finally been solved.
Best wishes,
Hans

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Just had another 'little' hiccup with WLM; contacts list this time! - now resolved: Just for interest - When I updated, WLM2012 retained all my e-mail contacts no problem. However, I've just discovered that although it retained the names of a number of multiple address lists that I had set up, when I came to use them WLM2012 wouldn't play ball. When I checked in the contacts list, all seemed okay and the correct e-mail addresses were there, grouped under the correct address list. However, when I selected the address lists for a new message, they were all blank! (clicking on the '+' usually listed out the full list of addressees - but in this instance, clicking on the '+' just removed the address list from the message!

In the end I resolved the issue by deleting all my multiple address lists and rebuilding them (select 'contacts', then 'home' and finally 'category' - thereafter it was quite straightforward.
Capture.GIF
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks for sharing.
Best wishes,
Hans