Picasa's website for pictures

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Picasa's website for pictures

Post by Skitterbug »

Any Website Picasa users' help will really be appreciated. My goal is sharing my “unlisted gallery” of albums.

And to achieve this I click on “My Photos” and then on View my: “Unlisted Gallery” and select the URL to use it for allowing people to visit and see all my albums. Unfortunately, the people that I’ve sent the link to cannot see the entire gallery. One person could see three albums and two other people could only see my profile pic.

So I followed instructions in Picasa’s help and created a new URL as instructed. This hasn’t helped either.

The current “unlisted gallery” link is:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1087909685 ... 94HPj6viaA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can anyone tell me where I am going astray? And what I should do to correct the problem?

Thanks!
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Picasa's website for pictures

Post by Rudi »

Sorry, I don't use Picasa, but I just want to say "Awhhh, cute"!!!!! The face is adorable with the wet nose and white snout!

BTW: Why not consider Flickr? With a terrabyte of space and no more restrictions its a great way to share pics. And the upload engine is so easy!!
Last edited by Rudi on 30 Jun 2013, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

This is what I see when I follow your link:
S0143.png
To share an album:
- Open the album
- Click Actions > Album properties.
S0144.png
- Select the type of visibility you want from the 'Visibility' dropdown near the bottom of the Album properties 'window'. Make sure that you don't select 'Only you'.
S0145.png
- Click 'Save Changes' when done.
- Click 'Share' on the right hand side to send people a link by e-mail.
S0146.png
- Enter e-mail addresses and a message, then click 'Share via Email'.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

HansV wrote:This is what I see when I follow your link:
S0143.png
To share an album:
- Open the album
- Click Actions > Album properties.
S0144.png
- Select the type of visibility you want from the 'Visibility' dropdown near the bottom of the Album properties 'window'. Make sure that you don't select 'Only you'.
S0145.png
- Click 'Save Changes' when done.
- Click 'Share' on the right hand side to send people a link by e-mail.
S0146.png
- Enter e-mail addresses and a message, then click 'Share via Email'.
All my albums visibilities are "Unlimited, anyone with a link". And If I send a link to a specific album, people can see them but that would mean 8 or more links! I wanted to share the whole gallery and it seems that I haven't been able to accomplish this yet. Picasa's help says:

Public and Unlisted Galleries

Click on Public Gallery or Unlisted Gallery on the My Photos tab to find a single, unchanging URL to share all of your albums with friends and family.

Public Gallery

People who visit your public gallery URL - picasaweb.google.com/username - can view all of your public albums, plus any albums that you've explicitly shared with them.

Unlisted Gallery

People who visit your unlisted gallery URL will see all of your public albums, all albums set to a visibility of 'Limited, anyone with the link,' as well as any albums that you've explicitly shared with them. This gallery includes a unique authorization key in the web address; the key is a combination of letters and numbers that make the address difficult to guess.

Rudi only spotted Max, my Miniature Schnauzer's puppy pic and he should have seen the entire album. And you are only able to see two albums plus Max. I am confused indeed.
Thanks for the feedback though! :yep:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It's probably different for you since you're a member of Google Plus, while I'm not (any more).
Best wishes,
Hans

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

HansV wrote:It's probably different for you since you're a member of Google Plus, while I'm not (any more).
I thought I closed that out too? I only played with that option for a bit and decided I didn't care for it.
I wonder if I try and reset the Gallery email link - one more time - If maybe it would work.
So one more time:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1087909685 ... 5dzAmqLIBg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any luck?
Thanks for trying.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I still see the same as in the screenshot above...
Best wishes,
Hans

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

HansV wrote:I still see the same as in the screenshot above...
I give up! :surrender: I may go see what Flickr is since it is recommended by Rudi. The frustrating part is the time it takes to organize and load "stuff". :uurrrrgggghhhhh:
Or I guess I can simply send out 8 links when I want all the albums seen. :laugh:
Thanks for trying! :yep:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I think you'll have to set the visibility of each album separately. If you then send someone the URL of your public gallery or of your unlisted gallery, the recipient will see your albums according to the rules described in the help page you cited.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I'm a bit late to this party but it's not you Sandy. Google broke the PWA unlisted gallery feature back in January/February. I think it was March when I discovered this change.

Up till then you could set your albums to be limited to anyone with the link and then give just ONE link to people that would take them to an index page to all of your albums. However, following Google's latest steps to integrate Picasa Web Albums into Google Plus that feature died. Now your unlisted gallery link only takes you to anything that's public.

The only way to share albums is to provide people with a link to each album, which is a pain if you have lots of albums. This is called progress.

There are huge numbers of users screaming about this but Google aren't listening:
http://productforums.google.com/forum/# ... keFQMc1Zac

I may be wrong, because I've not tried Flickr but the Googling I did a few months ago implied Flickr was not much better at allowing one link to share multiple albums.

Ken
edited to add, as far as I know the help pages about the unlisted gallery are wrong, they've not been updated to reflect the loss of the functionality.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

stuck wrote:I'm a bit late to this party but it's not you Sandy. Google broke the PWA unlisted gallery feature back in January/February. I think it was March when I discovered this change.

Up till then you could set your albums to be limited to anyone with the link and then give just ONE link to people that would take them to an index page to all of your albums. However, following Google's latest steps to integrate Picasa Web Albums into Google Plus that feature died. Now your unlisted gallery link only takes you to anything that's public.

The only way to share albums is to provide people with a link to each album, which is a pain if you have lots of albums. This is called progress.

There are huge numbers of users screaming about this but Google aren't listening:
http://productforums.google.com/forum/# ... keFQMc1Zac

I may be wrong, because I've not tried Flickr but the Googling I did a few months ago implied Flickr was not much better at allowing one link to share multiple albums.

Ken
edited to add, as far as I know the help pages about the unlisted gallery are wrong, they've not been updated to reflect the loss of the functionality.
Whew! Thanks for the clarification Ken! I was really beginning to think I'd lost my mind - well.... there are those who still would think so! :laugh: Here's hoping Google wakes up and fixes the problem. But for now, since I know there is a problem, I could combine the pics I want to share into one album and then send that one link.

I'm thinking on paper wondering how much trouble doing it this way would be. It may be easier to use this technique than to try using Flickr. I did set up an account there but it has strikes against it too and I really wasn't too impressed yet. However, I'll keep the account open in Flickr for now and maybe fiddle with it a little bit more, but I don't see it ever becoming my primary place for pics.

Thanks for joining the party! :smile:

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Skitterbug wrote:Here's hoping Google wakes up and fixes the problem
Although Google have not said one way or the other I will be very surprised if it does get fixed because it is highly likely that the architecture of Google Plus does not allow this feature and Google are not going to re-engineer Google Plus to fix PWA are they?

PWA is a legacy system in their eyes. Especially since they will have many more users using 'G+ Photos' than PWA. It's just the way Google (or any business works), if there's no profit in it, there's no point in it.

Ken

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

stuck wrote:
Skitterbug wrote:Here's hoping Google wakes up and fixes the problem
Although Google have not said one way or the other I will be very surprised if it does get fixed because it is highly likely that the architecture of Google Plus does not allow this feature and Google are not going to re-engineer Google Plus to fix PWA are they?

PWA is a legacy system in their eyes. Especially since they will have many more users using 'G+ Photos' than PWA. It's just the way Google (or any business works), if there's no profit in it, there's no point in it.

Ken
I was part of Google+ for awhile but closed the account because it was too messy trying to upload pics then. I liked the simplified way of using Picasa as an independent website and sharing from there. I'm still not sold on Google+ but maybe I ought to explore it again. WSS

BTW as a follower of my Picasa (welcome!) can you see all the albums that are shared?

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Skitterbug wrote:BTW as a follower of my Picasa (welcome!) can you see all the albums that are shared?
Not sure, I'm at work at the moment but (unless my better half objects) I'll look into this more later this evening. It's interesting that Hans (as a non G+ user) was able to see your other albums. My G+ account still exists but it's been a loooong time since I used it.

Ken

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I have G+ account but it's dormant (my last post was in 2011) and several albums but they were created via Picasa Web albums, not G+. I 'follow' Sandy's albums.

Given that, it doesn't matter whether or not I'm logged in to my G+ account, either way both Sandy's original link to her unlisted gallery and the link she gives after she reset the URL only let me see her profile picture of Max the dog, nothing else. From this is I deduce none of Sandy's pictures are public, they are all limited to only those with the link. This state of affairs, where I know the link to her gallery but I can't see the albums (even though I am a follower), is the 'improvement' Google brought to PWA back in Jan/Feb.

I also 'follow' Hans photos but in this case regardless of whether or not I'm logged in I can get to his gallery. This is because Hans albums are public (though you'd never guess the URL).

Life's too short to try and work out how it all works from the G+ perspective.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I wonder why I can see two of Skitter's albums (plus her profile picture) while I'm not on Google+ and I don't 'follow' her...
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:I wonder why I can see two of Skitter's albums (plus her profile picture) while I'm not on Google+ and I don't 'follow' her...
Something to do do with the fact that neither you nor her have G+ accounts any more? Does seem odd though.

Ken

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

stuck wrote:
HansV wrote:I wonder why I can see two of Skitter's albums (plus her profile picture) while I'm not on Google+ and I don't 'follow' her...
Something to do do with the fact that neither you nor her have G+ accounts any more? Does seem odd though.

Ken
Ken: I wonder if it would be easier to simply make them available to all except perhaps picture of our kids/grandkids. Either that or move them into one album and share that as a link? I don't really like doing it this way since the categories are distinct - frogs, landscape, etc. I wish Google wouldn't have mess things up! Thank you for taking time to work this out. It is better knowing that the feature is broken. I can deal with it by sending links directly to the albums instead of trying to share the gallery.

Hans: Thanks for looking too! I spotted both your comments and appreciate them! :yep: