Windows Live Mail 2012 updated.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Windows Live Mail 2012 updated.

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Folks,

(Build 16.4.3508.0205)

The installer includes an update for SkyDrive.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows Live Mail 2012 updated.

Post by HansV »

Thanks!
Best wishes,
Hans

Slim
StarLounger

Post by Slim »

I should update my Windows Live Mail but I do not have the web site for accomplishing this.
Can someone please give me the link I need to update my WLM.
Regards,
Slim

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can download the latest version of Windows Essentials (as the whole package is now called) from Windows Essentials.
Best wishes,
Hans

Slim
StarLounger

Post by Slim »

Thanks Hans. I did have to download a whole pile of extra programs but apparently Windows Live Mail got updated. I haven't noticed what the update did but it must have improved or corrercted something. I appreciate your assistance.
Best regards,
Slim

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

I have the stand alone WLM, 2009 version - If I download Windows Essentials (in order to get the 2012 version of WLM), can I uninstall the bits I don't want (ie, can I just end up retaining the WLM component of Essentials)? And do I assume that my address list and saved e-mails will automatically be transferred over to the new version?
Thanks,
Capture.GIF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You should be able to select which components you want. I don't think you can remove components selectively after installing (but I may be mistaken).

All your existing contacts, messages etc. should be untouched.
Best wishes,
Hans

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Thanks Hans.
Regards,
Regards,
Keith

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Download worked fine and I was given option of downloading everything (recommended!) or just selecting what I wanted - all very straight forward -now getting used to the new options/toolbar layouts. Many thanks,
Regards,
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Good to hear that!
Best wishes,
Hans

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

And just to close the circle: Just found these words of wisdom under the help option:

"Windows Live Mail is part of Windows Live Essentials, a suite of free programs for photos, movies, instant messaging, and more. The programs are downloaded together, but can be uninstalled separately." - Under 'uninstall program' option, if you click on WLE and select uninstall you get the option of what bit(s) of WLE you want to get rid of.
Regards,
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Great - that is/was not possible with Windows Live Essentials 2011. Thanks for the update (pun intended).
Best wishes,
Hans

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Bit of a niggle with WLM 2012! Having thought that I'd managed to loose a number of e-mails through updating from 2009 to 2012, I think (think being the operative word!) I've discovered that WLM 2012 seems to concatenate all associated messages as 'conversations' - that is, if I receive an e-mail and click on reply, do the reply and then send, when I subsequently check I find that the original e-mail I was sent is no longer there as a stand alone e-mail but has been 'tagged' on to my response (ie, the original and my response are now just one e-mail). I find this a bit off putting and wonder if anyone else has come across the same problem? I'd like to be able to keep my e-mails, received and sent, as separate e-mails, but so far I haven't found a way to do so. I've looked at the 'sort' options and the only one that keeps everything in date/time order seems to be the 'sort by date (conversations)' option.
I suppose I could just send a new e-mail rather than a 'reply', which would do the trick but that's not really ideal.
Any offers - please!
Regards,
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

On the View tab of the ribbon, click Conversations and select Off.
S0139.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Doh! The option didn't register in my mind as I had my top level 'in box' clicked with nothing in it when I was looking - and, of course, with nothing showing in the 'in box' (everything had been moved to its appropriate folder!) the 'conversations' option was greyed out. Once I'd clicked on a folder with mail in it then the option lit up and smacked me between the eyes!! - And, just clicking 'off' in one folder happily turns 'conversations' off in all my folders. These 'senior' moments (or intellectual interludes as I prefer to think of them) seem to be coming around far too often.
My grateful thanks Hans.
Regards,
Regards,
Keith

Slim
StarLounger

Post by Slim »

Well, I went through the process of updating my Windows Live Mail and of course had to install a bunch of other stuff to do it. Problem now is that I cannot download my e-mail from the server. When I try to download the server timesout. Then the e-mails are downloaded to a previous in-box that was transferred to this computer when the computer was set up. No apparent problem sending messages. I looked at the list of "fixes" that were installed and selected a likely one (KB2600217) that might cause the problem and uninstalled it. No help.
There were about twenty "fixes" in the Windows Update. Should I continue to uninstall them one at a time until the problem is solved even though some of then are Security related?
Any other suggestions on how to approach this problem?
Best regards,
Slim
p.s. I will away for a few days.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I doubt that the updates that you installed cause this problem. By the way, why did you have to install "a bunch of other stuff"? Had your computer not been updated for a long time?
Perhaps you should create a new e-mail profile in the Mail control panel.
Best wishes,
Hans

Slim
StarLounger

Post by Slim »

Hans I appear to be out of touch. What/where is the "Mail control panel"?
Slim

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

In the Windows control panel (Start > Control Panel).
Best wishes,
Hans

Slim
StarLounger

Post by Slim »

Sorry Hans, I cannot find anything in the Control Panel that says "Windows control panel". There is a Windows Update, Windows Firewall, Windows Anytime Upgrade, Windows Defender, and Windows Card Space.
What am I missing?
Slim