how to restore sound

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

how to restore sound

Post by Dave Davison »

Hope this is the correct forum; as the screenshot shows there are no question marks showing in the Device manager settings nor are there any options muted so might this suggest there is a problem with the sound card please? Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: how to restore sound

Post by HansV »

I have moved this thread from the 'Other Applications' forum to the 'Windows XP' forum as this appears to be a Windows problem.

To start with the obvious: have you made sure that the speakers are plugged in correctly and turned on?
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

This tells me that you have it "Muted" some where, as there are on some systems about 4 different ways this can be done.
Or the speakers are unplugged, or power to them has been turned off.

I do NOT think it is a driver issue.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

And after Hans good question (and along the same lines as Dave); what do you see on the Volume tab when you click on the Sound application in the Control Panel?

(I.e. main Device volume and the Mute check box. There is no muting occurring in the Device Manager, so no need to look there.)

(Also sound where? Cable to the monitor, cable to the speakers, head phones to the back of the computer, head phones to the CD/DVD drive etc.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

I predominantly use earphones & only the monitor speakers when I wish for others to hear what is being played and what puzzled me was the sound - for no apparent reason- just went mute. Though convinced I had already checked the Master Volume setting in the control panel I looked again just now and to my amazement saw that the volume draw bar in the "Wave" option was set very low so increased it to the half way mark and that rectified the issue. Beats me as to how this setting got to that position as I am the only user who ever ventures into the settings features. Anyway, thanks for the tips as to where to look should this ever occur again. :thankyou: :cheers: Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Timelord
4StarLounger

Post by Timelord »

I have recently run into an issue with Itunes and a game I like to play. If I have Itunes playing music and then start the game then Itunes gets it's volume dropped way down. I am using Windows 7. Thought that this might lead you to the culprit.
Who will you Inspire today?

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi..........seeing I never play games on my computer, [too busy watching guys like the late Dave Hunt; Alex Jones; John McArthur, Prof Walter Vieth] to name but a few so the issue you encountered is unlikely to come my way. Cheers Dave.

Timelord
4StarLounger

Post by Timelord »

I did not mean to imply that it could only be games that does this. It could be any software that you use.
Who will you Inspire today?

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi again..........will bear that in mind should I lose the sound again suddenly. Cheers Dave.