Windows/Microsoft Update 52f Error

stuckling1
2StarLounger

Windows/Microsoft Update 52f Error

Post by stuckling1 »

Hi all

I have Microsoft Office 2010, and occasionally it gets security updates and the like, these come via Windows update and install themselves at shutdown, as they should.

However recently some of my the updates have failed, giving Windows Update Error code 52f.

Googling this error code I found the following infomation:
Windows Update error 52F

If you receive Windows Update error 52F while trying to install updates, the Local Installation Source (LIS) for Microsoft Office 2003 products is corrupted. LIS is the software that Office 2003 products use to install programs and updates for Office programs.

Follow the steps in this article to fix error 52F : http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=903776" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Access the link below

Windows Update error 52F
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... -error-52F" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In my case, a possible cause of the LIS becoming corrupted might be that I resized my C: and D: partitions.

The information on the KB page 903776 re fixing the LIS requires the use of LIStool.exe , from here http://www.microsoft.com/office/orkarchive/2003ddl.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - however this appears to be for Office 2003, not 2010 . I have never had 2003 installed on this PC.

So my question is, should I follow the instructions on the KB , which include running a tool which appears to be designed for Office 2003, on my 2010 system?

Thanks in advance

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows/Microsoft Update 52f Error

Post by HansV »

I can't find anything about error 52f related to Office 2010.

If can make an image backup, you could do that, then give the Office 2003 tool a try. Otherwise, I wouldn't risk it.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

(Microsoft Update, I presume. :smile:)

I have previously used the LIStool from the Office Resource Kit to move the Local Installation Source for Office 2003 from one partition to another, but since it isn't supported for Office 2010 I had to use another tactic when moving the LIS for Office 2010. But as you mention, the KB you refer to, it can also be used to disable, remove, and enable the LIS for Office 2003 etc.

From Office 2007 and on there is no such tool.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924616" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I can't check now on a Windows 7 computer with 2007, but as it says, it seems one can't use the clean up tool, as was possible with 2003 (one shouldn't remove it with Windows Explorer).

You are sure the updates are for Office 2010? Could you mention any update and error? They don't seem to be related.

With network deployment of Office 2007, 2010, there seems to be a possibility to cache and remove the LIS, editing the Config.xml file's "LIS element".

I guess the most straightforward process would be to try a repair of the Office installation, I think I've read somewhere that it should recreate the LIS.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

stuckling1
2StarLounger

Post by stuckling1 »

HansV wrote:I can't find anything about error 52f related to Office 2010.
Neither could I...
Argus wrote:You are sure the updates are for Office 2010? Could you mention any update and error?
Yep, pretty sure as Office 2010 is the only version of Office that has ever been on this machine. Prior to 2010 I used Openoffice.
The updates in question, the ones that fail, are:
msupdtates.PNG
Argus wrote:I guess the most straightforward process would be to try a repair of the Office installation, I think I've read somewhere that it should recreate the LIS.
HansV wrote:If you can make an image backup, you could do that, then give the Office 2003 tool a try.
So I think my plan of action will be:
- backup everything first
- try to repair the installation using the Office 2010 DVD
- If that doesn't work, try the LIStool
- If that doesn't work or goes wrong, Restore the backed up version and think again

Thanks for advice :grin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

There are many changes between Office 2003 and 2010, also when it comes to the setup process. Here is one quote I had read earlier about the LIS; although it mentions when a source is required, as when adding or removing Office components, I assume. :crossfingers: a repair will fix the LIS.

Setup architecture overview for the 2007 Office system
Creating a local installation source on users' computers
When users install Office from the CD or from a network installation point, Setup creates the local installation source by using a program called the Office Source Engine (Ose.exe) to copy required installation files to a hidden folder on the local computer. The default location is \MSOCache\All Users at the root of the drive on which Office is installed.
[...]
Users cannot inadvertently delete the local installation source or remove it by using the Setup user interface or the Windows Disk Cleanup Wizard. If the MSOCache folder is deleted or corrupted, Setup automatically re-creates or repairs the folder the next time a source is required. If users do not have sufficient disk space, they are prompted to free some space. You can rely on the fact that every user has access to a source when you distribute new updates or customizations.
(I guess another experiment could be to try one of the updates that fail with the Office DVD in the drive.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.