Placing a key on a laptop keyboard

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Placing a key on a laptop keyboard

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I'm embarrassed to say how the letter "A" became removed from the keyboard, but it did, and is.
The Good Old Big Beige Keyboards, you just push the key back and it snaps into place.
The laptop is a different kettle of fish.

The underside of the key has a scissor-like assembly;
At the foot of each leg are two pins, about 1 mm diameter and about 1 mm long, extending outwards, just begging to be snapped off.
The four pins want to be squeezed inwards, to fit inside a fixed assembly, a pair of holes, on the keyboard proper.

Problem is, by the time the key is close enough to the keyboard for the pins to slip in, the key is practically ON the keyboard, and the space is too narrow for my clumsy fingers, even, I think, for my clumsy fingers holding my tweezers.

P.S. I have an excellent service center (Look for March 5th) downtown Toronto if I have to take it in for a quickie, and they are right next door to a superb Subway sandwich shop where I could be persuaded to wait for 20 minutes.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Placing a key on a laptop keyboard

Post by StuartR »

When I had to do this recently I took the coward's way out. I found a keyboard on eBay and replaced the whole thing.
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Placing a key on a laptop keyboard

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:When I had to do this recently I took the coward's way out. I found a keyboard on eBay and replaced the whole thing.
yeah.
Word on the street is that you do this with posts, too! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace