Automatic System Restore

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Automatic System Restore

Post by Bigaldoc »

I realize XP is almost as old as I am, but I'm new at this topic. I've never used system restore and had it turned off since day 1 because I backup every night and have always used images when needed.

But a few recent events have caused me to turn it on, plus I have a much bigger drive than I used to a few years ago.

I turned it on Saturday and looked everything over to see if there's any info I need to supply. My understanding is that it will do an automatic creation of a restore point when you install compliant software, but it seems to be erratic.

Yesterday I installed an update to free Macrium Reflect which I keep on hand to advise friends. SR did create a restore point without intervention from me. Cool, except today I installed an update to Companion Link, the software I use to synch Outlook to my Android. Afterward I see no restore point for today. I will assume Companion Link must NOT be compliant.

From now on I will manually create a restore point before any software installation. Is that experience similar to any others?

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Automatic System Restore

Post by viking33 »

Pretty much as I do, Al. I still have a copy of XP on another partition and don't recall the last time I used XP. Still I follow the procedure on Win 7.

If I think there has been a major change made or possible system changes being made, I do a manual SR point and don't rely on an automatic one taking place. Peace of mind and all that.
Last edited by viking33 on 04 Mar 2013, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Thanks, Bob. The only thing I could find in Googling is that the SERVICES for system restore and task scheduler have to be set to automatic and mine are.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Well, auto-creation works on Windows generated stuff. From both Event Viewer and the MSE GUI, this entry was prior to an update of MSE's definitions. OK...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I think that non-Microsoft installers may not use the SR mechanism. That may be either that it is an installer which does not know about SR or the person who put together the install package did not invoke SR.

Joe
Joe