Error: the process cannot access the file because another...

jmt356
SilverLounger

Error: the process cannot access the file because another...

Post by jmt356 »

This week and last week, I shut down Outlook before running a full system scan with Avast. Nonetheless, Avast returned the following message:
"Error: the process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file (33)."

How could another process have locked a portion of the file if the file was closed? What process could be locking a portion a file?

I have already visited an Avast thread on this topic here, but despite two pages of posts, no solution is found. Posters who used Unlocker to unlock Outlook, upgraded to the most recent version of Avast and shut down Outlook were getting the error message.

One poster says: "It is also a dangerous file to scan. There are many that warn against it, can't recall the references ... if an infected email is found inside many AVs (not necessarily avast!) will delete the complete .pst file not try to extract the infected email with the resultant loss of your emails." I'm not sure if that is true, but given the importance of my .pst files, I want to make sure they are virus-free.
Regards,

JMT

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Re: Error: the process cannot access the file because anothe

Post by Roderunner »

Hi JMT,
have you tried a boot time scan with Avast ?
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Outlook can keep on running in the background after being 'shut down' - check in TaskManager to see if it is still listed as a running process.

Do you still get the message after a reboot?
Leif

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I just shut down Outlook and then opened up the Task Manager. Outlook does not appear under Applications but it is displayed as OUTLOOK.EXE *32 under Processes. I will select it and End Process and retry. If the problem persists, I will repost.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Don't click End Process immediately after quitting Outlook. Outlook.exe often remains active as a process for a while; this is "normal". But if it is still running say, two or three minutes after you closed Outlook, you may end its process.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I closed Outlook and Outlook.exe *32 was still an active process. I then hibernated my computer and 9 hours later turned it back on. Outlook.exe #32 remains an active process. I then waited 5 minutes and it was still active. No Outlook reminders or Outlook windows were open.
I then tried to end the process and received the following Windows Task Manager message:
Do you want to end ‘OUTLOOK.EXE *32’?
If an open program is associated with this process, it will close and you will lose any unsaved data. If you end a system process, it might result in an unstable system. Are you sure you want to continue?”
Should I?

On another note, OUTLOOK.EXE *32 is not active after I restart my computer.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If Outlook.exe *32 remains active more than, say, 5 minutes after you closed all Outlook windows, you may assume that it's not really doing anything any more, so you can safely end the process.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I ended the process, ran Avast and did not receive the error message about the process being unable to be accessed. After the scan, I launched Outlook and did not perceive any instability / problems arising out of ending the process.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

OK, good to hear that.
Best wishes,
Hans