What's going on?

silverback
5StarLounger

What's going on?

Post by silverback »

I do not have a Facebook or Twitter account and have no intention of getting one.
But I'm getting a lot of emails from LinkedIn and Google+ saying
"I'd like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn."
and
"***** added you to his circles and invited you to join Google+."

Obviously people who've got my email address have initiated these invitations.
What am I supposed to do? I have no interest in either thing (don't know what they are, don't really want to) but these organisations (?) must now have my email address in order to send me the invite. So I'm now part of their information DB I suppose.

I'm really peeved about this; should I be? And what are the implications of accepting the invites?

Thanks
Silverback :mad:

StuartR
Administrator

Re: What's going on?

Post by StuartR »

There is very little you can do if people who know your email address send you emails that you don't want.

These sites do encourage people to send you these emails, but you need to contact your friends if you want this to stop. Your only other options are to accept the requests, but you will find that you then get emails from Facebook and Twitter, or to change your email address and only give the new address to friends that agree not to use it for this kind of purpose.
StuartR

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

On the subject of LinkedIn, although it has been a LONG time, it seems to me that you can tell LinkedIn NOT to send you requests. Years ago I got a few and when I didn't respond, they would send "reminders." I finally got it to stop and "I think" it was something I told their site. You need to browse around there.

I use Facebook heavily and have a "throw away" address just for Facebook. In 4-5 years I haven't had to throw it away yet...

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I think you can only tell LinkedIn not to send you requests if you have a LinkedIn account
StuartR

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Maybe I don't get any more because no one likes me ... :innocent:

Digging through my YEARS OLD emails, here's a clip from one. Maybe I used the unsubscribe link, but I can say two things: I don't get any more of them and I DID used to get a fair number, including reminders. I don't have a LinkedIn account.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Bigaldoc wrote:Maybe I don't get any more because no one likes me ... :innocent:
Hey, Pal. I likes ya!
Thanks for the tip. I have unsubscribed to LinkedIn. Now to see what happens. Probably emails asking if I'm sure I want to unsubscribe! :laugh:

Cheers
Silverback