Recycle bin not working

Diana van den Berg
4StarLounger

Recycle bin not working

Post by Diana van den Berg »

I had my computer at a computer company and they cleaned up 24 viruses off it. However, in the process, my Recycle Bin:
1. doesn’t show the files that have been put into it
2. but the icon showed that it had something in it
3. and when I went in, and selected “Empty Recycle Bin” it said “Do you want to delete Security Centre?” – obviously I didn’t (and fortunately there was only 1 file, otherwise I wouldn’t have known what had been deleted and I would have deleted it)
4. I then deleted 2 files that I really wanted deleted, but didn’t mind restoring temporarily and
5. I selected “Restore all items” and the computer made a dull noise denoting that it hadn’t done it, but nevertheless, hoping that it had,
6. I then selected “Empty Recycle Bin” which showed that none of the files were restored

Therefore the 2 problems are:
1. The files are invisible
2. Restore all items (for which one shouldn’t need to have selected any) doesn’t work.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this (besides contact the company but I did and the IT guy doesn’t seem to know what is causing this)?

Thank you for any help.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Recycle bin not working

Post by HansV »

Go to Windows XP Tweaks and Fixes.
Click on 'Replace/Repair the Recycle Bin in Windows XP' (line 64, right hand side) and allow the .reg file to be imported.
If that doesn't solve all problems, also click on 'Recover and Restore Deleted Files' (line 36, left hand side).
Best wishes,
Hans

Diana van den Berg
4StarLounger

Thanks, Hans. I will try that.

Diana van den Berg
4StarLounger

I tried that. The first didn't work. The second came up with 35960 files, none of which were Security Centre which I need to restore. I couldn't follow the options and so exited from there without doing anything. Some of them were in the virus vault, so I was afraid that whatever I did could restore them. Also, I didn't want to restore 35960 files, many of which I would presume were ones that the IT guy had deleted because they were either viruses or junk. There were some that I had deleted a long time ago. I went into the folder again, to see if I could find dates of deletion or modification and there were none there. So it looks as though I have restored all 35960 files! What do I do now?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You could try the free utility Recuva.

But to restore the Security Center, perhaps you only need to repair Windows.
Best wishes,
Hans

Diana van den Berg
4StarLounger

I tried Recuva and 20 files came up with unidentifiable names, none of which was Security Centre.

How would I repair Windows?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

A first step you can try is to perform a system restore to a point before the problems occurred. This will only affect Windows and programs, not your personal settings, nor your data files.
See How to restore Windows XP to a previous state.
Best wishes,
Hans

Diana van den Berg
4StarLounger

Hans, the problem with that is that:
1. there has been a problem with my computer for some time and I had been trying to fix it without taking it to a company and I don't know when it was working properly so I wouldn't know to what date I would need to restore it
2. the IT guy removed 24 viruses and I don't know how long they were on the computer and I don't want to restore the viruses.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Another option is to reinstall Windows in place. Do you have the Windows XP CD-ROM and the 25-character installation key?
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

A little off subject but how did you come down with 24 viruses?
Don't you have an anti-virus program and firewall and anti-malware program?
Yet you say something about a virus vault?
I'm just trying to understand how your system got to be in such a state.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Diana van den Berg
4StarLounger

No, Hans, I don't have the Windows XP CD-ROM and the 25-character installation key. The computer came with Windows preloaded.

Diana van den Berg
4StarLounger

Yes, Bob, I do have an Anti-Virus program. However, a while ago - maybe a week or 2 ago - when I uninstalled Windows Internet Explorer and reinstalled it to try to solve my problems without taking the computer to an IT company, and on the advice of an IT guy, I VERY unfortunately thought that something was part of the Window Internet Explorer system, but it turned out to be PC Utility Kit which, I since discovered was a malware program. I subsequently got rid of some malware first with MalwareBytes and then more with Spybot, but the cleanup from the IT company yesterday and today, didn't get rid of Claro or worse still, Blekko. Nothing seems to get rid of either - and whether they are malware programs or not I want them gone. They crept in very sneakily, and no matter what I try, I haven't yet managed to get rid of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I can think of one other option:
- Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
- Enter the following line, then press Enter:

sfc /scannow

See Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe).
Best wishes,
Hans

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Diana, this will clear your system:-
-
IMPORTANT: The following procedure permanently deletes all files and folders which are already in the Recycle Bin (from all user accounts in the system) and cannot be recovered.

1. Open an elevated Command Prompt window. To open an elevated Command Prompt, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

2. Type the following command and press ENTER: rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin

This clears out the $Recycle.bin folder for the C:\ drive. You may have to do this for each hard disk partition in your system.

3. Type exit to close the Command Prompt window.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Diana van den Berg
4StarLounger

Glasgie (from where my late mother came - I am a South African)? Edinburgh? Good to see your Rabbie Burrrrrrns quote!

Thank you so much for this. I am going to keep it in case I need it in the future.

Miracle of miracles, it got sorted out a short while ago this morning. The IT guy who worked on my computer replied to my email and said I could delete Security Centre in the Recycle Bin. I thought to myself that that only solves some problems, but I followed his instruction and in fear and trembling, I selected Empty Recycle Bin and it cleared everything and not only was my Security Centre still on my computer, but the shortcut to it too (another copy of which that possibly was in the Recycle Bin), BBBBBBBBBBBBBUT, also suddenly the next file I deleted SHOWED in the Recycle Bin; I could SELECT it and RESTORE it and delete it again and SEE it again in the Recycle Bin and I could SEE what files I was emptying from the Recycle Bin.

I have no idea what cause the problem - but all I know is that I am SMILING again because it is fixed.
Last edited by Diana van den Berg on 21 Dec 2012, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.

Diana van den Berg
4StarLounger

Oh, I have just seen your reply too, Hans. Thank you for that. I will keep it in case I need it in the future.

Please read my reply to Roderunner where I describe how it got itself fixed.

To think of the hours we all spent trying to solve this, and if I had simply chosen to delete Security Centre (which was probably only a shortcut anyway), I would have saved us all this time and effort. Anyway, thanks again. :fanfare:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm glad it's fixed now - that's what counts!
Best wishes,
Hans