Web Page Age

RonH
SilverLounger

Web Page Age

Post by RonH »

Sometimes it is useful to know when a web page/s was created and/or updated and often this information is not obvious ... to me at least :scratch:
Is there an easy way to determine 'page age'.
Thanks Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Web Page Age

Post by Bigaldoc »

I don't know if mine has been "modified" by any of the Firefox addons I have running, but if you right-click on an empty spot of a page and select "Page Info" you might get something like this. It works here and on my own web page.
2012-12-09_155437.png
EDITED: I don't know how (if) it can be done in IE...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

G'day Al, thanks for input.
With Chrome there do not seem to be any 'Properties' that inform about page dates, nor with IE9 though the latter does show 'Created'. I don't think this is the page creation date but rather related to pc activity. It is useful on occasion to know if the 'facts' you are reading are based upon current knowledge and practices. To try to overcome this lack of information I sometimes include in a search the year eg 2012 but even then its not reliable. I have come across lots of 'information' that is seriously aged but its difficult to tell this without forming an opinion from looking at other data.

Not a big deal but ...
Ron
The modified data from Firefox may be the same as IE9 eg nothing to do with the web page provider?
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I suspect that the Modified date/time in Firefox's Page Info represents the time the page was loaded or last modified on your own PC.
I don't think there is a way to know how old a web page is unless its creator explicitly mentions it either on the page itself, or in a comment in the HTML source code of the page.
You also have to keep in mind that many web pages are generated dynamically each time you view them.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Hei Hans ... I kinda thought that may be the situation. Ah well ...
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.