user A can access user B folders but not vice versa

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

user A can access user B folders but not vice versa

Post by stuck »

What I mean is I have an XP Home Ed fully patched laptop with two users on it. Both are 'Computer administrator' but while User A can browse the folders and files in User B's profile the reverse is not true. So clearly User A is more of an admin than User B.

Can I raise the admin level of User B so that they can browse user A's profile?

Ken

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: user A can access user B folders but not vice versa

Post by Bigaldoc »

Do both User A and B have the files (or the whole drive) shared? I would think that would be more of an issue than admin level.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I don't know. I suppose it might be a sharing thing but my experience in a domain environment at work (which this is NOT, it's XP Home Prem) is that if you are a local admin on a PC then you can browse all the folders under C:\Documents and Settings. I expected things to be similar on a stand alone laptop, if you are logged into an account that XP Home Premium deems to be a 'Computer administrator' then I thought you would be able to see everything under C\Documents and Settings. This is true for User A but not User B.
:shrug:

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I usually solve problems like this by moving all the user files away from the Documents and Settings folder into a data partition.

This is almost certainly an issue with the permissions on the folders. I think that the default behaviour is that each users folders are protected from other users and I suspect that someone must have changed the protection on the folders that can be accessed to make this easier.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Further consultation with User A reveals that it probably is a sharing thing and that something somewhere was ticked to stop folders being visible to others. I will look into this more when I'm next at the laptop.

Thanks for the help so far.

Ken

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Found the answer. Log in as User A, right click on their root profile folder C\docs & settings\user a click properties and on the sharing tab their is a make this folder private tick box.

It's not ticked by default on any profiles on my main XPMCE box nor for User B on XP Home Prem. User A is clearly a bit paranoid.

Thanks everyone.

Ken

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

More interesting is that I don't even have such a tick box on my XP MCE... Hmmm. Mebbe it's because I have the whole drive shared.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

:confused: You mean on your XPMCE system if in Explorer you find:
C:\Documents and Settings\username
and right click and select properties and then select the Sharing tab you don't see this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Not nearly like that. The only thing I can think of is the fact that I've shared the whole drive. I'm lost...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

My curiosity about this is getting me. I tried un-sharing my drive but the properties window didn't change, Ken.

Here's a shot of my XP MCE properties screen. Is it possible there's more than one "version?"

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

It was an idea Al but my Sys Props box is almost identical to yours - even down to the CPU!