What is OfficeGuardian.exe?

BobH
UraniumLounger

What is OfficeGuardian.exe?

Post by BobH »

Hello! It's me, again! (Yes, I know one should use "I" in this sentence because the verb 'to be' does not take an object; but it sounds silly to me to say "It's I, again!")

Can anyone tell me what OfficeGuardian.exe is?
I searched my system and found a file installed in the WIndows subdirectory of my recent installation of WinXP Pro SP3 (fully updated) and found at C:\Windows\Prefetch\OFFICEGUARDIAN.exe-0493010C.pf on a search of that drive.

This application is causing problems when I try to use the Clickfree Transformer backup dongle and software. I need to use the Clickfree software and USB device to restore files that I backed up to the external HDD before replacing a failing HDD. When I try to use it, the Clickfree splash screen displays then almost immediately I get an error screen from Windows asking if I want to send a report to Microsoft. The windows error panel shows ClickfreeBackup in the blue title bar at the top; yet, running Task Manager via CTL/ALT/DEL shows nothing that I can identify as the officeguardian.exe app. I believe that it is not running but is somehow referenced and causing the problem.

On the first step of the drill down, I find:
Error Signature
EventType:BEX P1OfficeGuardian.exe P2:3.0.78.0 P3:4b674d19
P4:OfficeGuardian.exe P5:3.9.78.0 P6:4b674d19 P7:000e645c
P8:c0000409 P9:00000000

(there is other data on this screen; this is just the first listed0

In drilling all the way down to the details of the error report I find:
C:\DOCUME~1\Dad\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER292e.dir00\OfficeGuardian.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Dad\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER292e.dir00\appcompat.txtp

The Clickfree device works on 2 other systems with 2 other external hard drives. I am using it on a Dell Dim4700 desktop with XPPro SP3 recently installed. Plug and Play recognizes the USB connection and goes into Autoplay where I see directories and filenames from the external hard drive appearing briefly in that panel. The system also recognizes and attempts to run the Clickfree software from the dongle because I see the Clickfree splash screen. I have checked Device Manager and it shows no yellow question marks and shows all the USB details working correctly. Just for grins, I updated the USB driver from the Internet and restarted. I'm getting the same result. Other USB ports work properly and this port allows me to see the files on the external HDD. When I try moving the dongle and external drive to other USB ports, including those on a self-powered hub I have attached, the problem persists. Clickfree support gave up and diagnosed the problem as a problem with the USB devices on this system after we had gone through using the device correctly on a laptop and another desktop.

I apologize for the verbosity and such a long post. I tried to take screenshots but was unsuccessful at capturing messages displayed onscreen by WIndows. Also, I wanted to give you as much information about my diagnostic efforts and results as possible. If you have suggestions for providing the question more succinctly, please advise. Also, if you have suggestions for ways to make screenshots of windows error panels and the Task Manager screens, I would like to have them.

As usual, I shall greatly appreciate and gratefully receive all assistance.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: What is OfficeGuardian.exe?

Post by viking33 »

You could try deleting the contents of the Prefetch folder. It will be recreated on reboot but it also may just be replaced by whatever is starting it in the first place.
Some mentions are made that this could be malware so if you don't already have it, download and run the free and excellent Malwarebytes detection tool.
One source is http://www.malwarebytes.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

BobH wrote:Hello! It's me, again! (Yes, I know one should use "I" in this sentence because the verb 'to be' does not take an object; but it sounds silly to me to say "It's I, again!") [...]
As usual, I shall greatly appreciate and gratefully receive all assistance.
See Wikipedia's article on Subject Complement.
I would tend to use "It's me".
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

Your post Bob ??
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.ph ... ntry206076

There doesn't seem to be much help on this one out there. :shrug:
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

Rummaging through the HijackThis log posted here http://myantispyware.com/forum/post13987.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; seems to suggest that a folder called Officeguardian eventually leads to an application called SacReminder.exe, which a Google search reveals to be a reminder program that ClickFree drives use to remind you to backup (here, we wait until a harddisk drive dies (like one did yesterday) and say "that'll remind you to keep backups")

Maybe there is a setting in the clickfree software to turn off reminders? (cause you will remember by yourself, won't you?) Or maybe an updated version of the software is required.

HTH
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, folks!

To John Gray I am indebted for the support in ignoring the strict rules of my grammar-conscious teachers. Sometimes we just have to flaunt the rules and the authorities! :thankyou:

Yes, Doc Watson, you have found me out. Seems one must be more devious to hide under a rock these days. I doubt I'm up to it. :hairout:

Jon Wallace, I have updated the software in the Clickfree dongle until it says that I have the most recent version. The device works correctly on the other 2 systems, but I can't get the software to load on my desktop to even get to the reminder options. That is a good lead, though. I will pursue it with searches and with Clickfree support. Thanks! :chocciebar:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Doc Watson wrote:Your post Bob ??

I just pointed him to Malwarebytes because there was mention of it being malware.
Maybe it didn't help that particular person but it's sure worth a try to make sure nothing was picked up.
Clickfree was also mentioned a few times as being the culprit, so perhaps pursuing it with them might turn something up?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: What is OfficeGuardian.exe? UPDATE

Post by BobH »

No resolution yet, but I'm confident now that OfficeGuardian.exe is an app installed with the Clickfree Transformer system. I discovered this by searching for it on all my computers. On the 2 that are running without known problems, a file search reveals that the file resides in Application Data in a folder created by and for Clickfree.

I fired off an email to Clickfree support today describing the problem and berating them for the paucity of their telephone support. No response yet, but I will let you know what happens - or that nothing has, after waiting an appropriate interval, of course.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

viking33 wrote:
Doc Watson wrote:Your post Bob ??

I just pointed him to Malwarebytes because there was mention of it being malware.
Maybe it didn't help that particular person but it's sure worth a try to make sure nothing was picked up.
Clickfree was also mentioned a few times as being the culprit, so perhaps pursuing it with them might turn something up?
I'm not being critical Bob, just thinkin' out loud. :laugh: That was turned up on a Google search and just seemed too coincidental to ignore. :evilgrin:

My point was that there was precious little info on the problem out there, to the point that his post was turned up by Google. All the other hits indicated that this was a problem unique to ClickFree. Something I probably should have mentioned. My bad. :groan:

BobH might want to try uninstalling ClickFree and then do a reinstall to see if that clears the issue. I would also suggest getting a program like Total Uninstall to monitor the installation and then review the log of the installation to see where OfficeGuardian.exe is installed and if there are any registry entries associated with it.

There is also the possibility that renaming that file may "correct" the problem as a workaround.
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Just and update, FWIW.

Received an email response from Clickfree support today. They stated that the program, OfficeGuardian.exe, is indeed their code. They also stated that the reported problem is unique and that they can't explain it. They have offered to replace the device if it is within warranty. That issue is still being pursued.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)