Power Options: Hibernation No Longer Works

BobH
UraniumLounger

Power Options: Hibernation No Longer Works

Post by BobH »

After working on this desktop and getting the mobo power back on, I find that the CP|Power Options no longer seem to work. I've searched here and found a super-abundance of information but couldn't find the nugget I need. Had the same problem searching the Web.

Before giving the inside a general housecleaning and redoing all the cable connections, I found that the mobo power cord was not secure. I fixed that and I thought all was well, but now I've noticed that the power options that I've always used no longer do. The system power stays on unless I kill power with the I/O button. Once again I think I'm too close to the problem to see it. If anyone can suggest things to check, I would be much obliged.

Here are screenshots of my Power Options:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Power Options: Hibernation No Longer Works

Post by John Gray »

It might be worth you looking into the mysteries of the PowerCfg utility.

In a Command Prompt window, do powercfg /?
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks for the suggestion, John!

In trying to run powercfg, I ran into problems. I can type the program name and switches into the RUN command line and the program appears to execute; however, it opens and closes the DOS window so fast that I can perceive no results.

I checked to be certain that powercfg.exe is, in fact, installed and found the program in the /WINDOWS/System32 directory where it is supposed to be. I then tried to open the RUN window and type in 'cmd powercfg -list' and received a program not found message.

Meanwhile, the computer continues to ignore the power settings established.

Anyone have any suggestions for how to recover the use of powercfg.exe? I suspect that for some reason it is not running and therefore the chosen options are never checked by the program.

???
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Select Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | Command Prompt.
In the Command Prompt window, you can type commands such as

powercfg /?
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Hello, Hans!

Here is the result I get following your instructions. (I get the same anytime I run from the CMD line.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Powercfg was included in Windows XP SP2 and later - I do hope your XP has been updated to at least SP2?
And you need to have administrator permissions to run it.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Hans!

Yes, I'm running XP SP-3 and have applied updates. Powercfg.exe is installed in C:\Windows\System32\

Checking Belarc Advisor results, I see that I never set up an Administrator account. Do you think I need to do so in order to run powercfg.exe? I've never had to do so in the years that I've run XP.

Thank you, again, for the help.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You'll either have to give your regular account administrator permissions, or create a separate account with administrator permissions for this purpose.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Doesn't this show that my regular account has admin privileges?

Clip from Belarc results:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yep. In that case, I don't understand why you can't run powercfg. C:\Windows\System32 should always be in the "path" for Windows.
Perhaps someone who still has Windows XP will be able to help you.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Longshot try: In a command prompt window, type Path and press enter. See if the System32 directory is shown as in:

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, BigAl,

How's this:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

How did you draw the box around the text in your post, Al?

I use FastStone Image Capture to grab what I want then go to the Draw window where I select the transparent box to drag around the text, but I could find no way to say that image. There are no file commands (that I could find) and closing the Draw window does away with the highlighting.

What am I missing?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

After clicking Draw and drawing a rectangle around some text, you must click OK. If you merely close the FastStone Draw window, changes (such as the rectangle) will not be saved.
Clicking OK will return you to the FastStone Editor window. This has a toolbar with a Save As button.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

HansV wrote:After clicking Draw and drawing a rectangle around some text, you must click OK. If you merely close the FastStone Draw window, changes (such as the rectangle) will not be saved.
Clicking OK will return you to the FastStone Editor window. This has a toolbar with a Save As button.
Thank you - yet again - Hans!

I had not noticed the OK and CANCEL buttons in the Draw window.
(Wonder how long it will be before I forget where they are? Anybody want to start a pool? :innocent: )
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I've attached a BATch file which I use at work for lots of PCs. You can probably pick the bones out of it!
pwrcfg.txt
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, John!

I'll see what I can do with it.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)