*Windows* Explorer Favorites?

ladybugblue
Lounger

*Windows* Explorer Favorites?

Post by ladybugblue »

My Windows Explorer Favorites menu is gone (along with My Documents mapping, the ability to customize my Start Menu, and a few other things).

I think I was part of a pilot group at work and they tweaked our settings & aren't sure how to get them back.

I've browsed around the Microsoft site, but any time I look for "Favorites" it assumes I mean IE Favorites, and not Windows Explorer.

Anyone know where I can find the documentation (or know how to directly) tweak the registry so I can get this stuff back?

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Re: *Windows* Explorer Favorites?

Post by jonwallace »

Strangely enough, when we run Malwarebytes on a PC here (locked down with active directory "enhancements"), it happily identifies the registry entries such as NoChangingWallpaper as Hijacks. and reverses them.

(Unfortunately the customisability thus gained doesn't survive a login :sad:) So (and the moral is...) try a malwarebytes scan and see what happens.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

Take a look at this article to see if it offers any helpful suggestions.
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

Cyberdance
NewLounger

Post by Cyberdance »

Thanks so much for this article Doc, it is excellent :-)
Cyberdance

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

Hi Cyber !! Glad to see you made the move to the "new" Lounge.
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

ladybugblue wrote:I think I was part of a pilot group at work and they tweaked our settings & aren't sure how to get them back.
Anyone know where I can find the documentation (or know how to directly) tweak the registry so I can get this stuff back?
If those settings are being controlled by Group Policy at work even if you knew the registry settings to change the changes would not surivive a re-boot. Also, you may not be able to use regedit anymore either.

Joe
Joe

ladybugblue
Lounger

Post by ladybugblue »

Agree with Cyber - thanks so much - good article!

And thanks Joe - yeah, I got myself pulled from the lock-down "container" ;) so now it's a matter of restoring things!