WinXP Pro Doesn't Recognize USB Device

BobH
UraniumLounger

WinXP Pro Doesn't Recognize USB Device

Post by BobH »

First, if I've chosen the wrong board for this post, please excuse me and move where it belongs.

I went to upload some files from my Pentax E60 digicam today and the process wouldn't begin. After futzing around unplugging and re-plugging cables at both ends, the process started but only uploaded 5 of 13 images I had selected to upload.

Let me point out that I have done this dozens of times before using this camera, this USB cable, and this computer. Absolutely nothing has changed to my knowledge.

Here are the variables, though I repeat that they are the some exact parts I've always used:
-WinXP Pro SP-3 updated
-Pentax E60 digital camera
-Sima products universal USB cable - one that has a regular USB at the computer end and then has 5 different USB connectors at the device end; the end in use is the mini B 8 pin flat connector and is the same one that I have used before
-Lexmark Fast Pics software

As I usually do, I created a new subfolder and selected that as the pathname for the software to use; so, technically, I guess it was not EXACTLY like I have always done.

Now, as I'm typing this, the Lexmark software self-loaded again as it does when the USB port detects a photo card in the camera. This time I selected the images to upload and selected the subfolder pathname that I created when it failed before and it uploaded the pics perfectly.

On the first effort, I had selected the images and pathname and started the upload process but when I checked the subfolder it was empty. A search on pic files created or modified today discovered 5 of them on the root directory, but the others did not upload.

I have no idea where to even begin to troubleshoot this. Suggestions will be greatly appreciated and gratefully received.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: WinXP Pro Doesn't Recognize USB Device

Post by DaveA »

I had issues with my camera just a few weeks ago. Found that connection on the camera was not always woking. Went to a carmera shop, a they told me to use a card reader as it will be must faster than the USB cable and it is.

Now that most systems come with a ssd reader the cable is not really needed. My laptop has one and I have been using it since. A lot cheaper than a having a repair on the camera.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Howdy, Dave!

Thanks for the tip.

I have a chip reader right in the front of my computer integrated into a floppy drive.

The problem will be remembering to remove the chip from the camera. At my age, most things are done by habit instead of thinking.

Thanks again!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Bob, I too have had less than satisfactory results with direct camera connect in the past, although I don't know if in your case the Lexmark software could be involved in the "problem." I never did have much confidence in Lexmark's software, sad to say.

I don't have a card reader built-in but I use a USB attached reader, take the card out of my camera and just use Windows Explorer to copy photos. Like Dave, I don't have any problems with that methodology.

Good luck...

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

When I got my digital camera it never entered my head to manage files on it with anything other than a card reader and Explorer, why make life complicated by installing manufacturer software to do what can be done much quicker by an existing Windows utility I thought?

Then my wife got a digital camera and I realised that sometimes the 'simple' way is actually too complicated for the end user. I still didn't install the camera manufacturers software to do the transfer. Instead I showed her how to do it via Google Picasa. It does take a lot longer to get the files across but it is a much less geeky way to do it.

Ken