KB2686509 Failure In XP

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

KB2686509 Failure In XP

Post by Bigaldoc »

I'm having a lot of trouble with this one. I've tried multiple times to install it, failing each time.

A Google produces quite a number of hits from people ALSO having the problem. One of those hits was advice from our old buddy Woody that essentially says the update is crap and MS needs to fix it.

My initial effort was to do what one poster suggested and read the KB completely: MS12-034: Description of the security update for CVE-2012-0181 in Windows XP: May 8, 2012

One of my attempts was to follow the registry hacks down at the bottom, concerning keyboard layouts. Still wouldn't install the update, so I've hidden it and just thought I'd mention it here, after restoring my registry!

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: KB2686509 Failure In XP

Post by DaveA »

Al,
Don't you use a key mapping program?

This may be a issue as the KB is related to keyboard mapping.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

DaveA wrote:Don't you use a key mapping program?

Wow, great memory, Dave!!! Yes, I DID (past tense) run a little utility called mapkeyboard.exe to change the caps lock key to a space since I hit it so often by mistake. It's been since I've had the machine and I'd completely forgotten about it. I wonder why deleting the keyboard layout registry keys didn't get it out of the way?

I wonder where all that is stored since the program does not show up in Autoruns as active. It must be stored in the registry somewhere. I'll try reset of the keyboard and re-boot to try the KB again.

Thanks for the memory, to paraphrase Bob Hope!!!

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Bigaldoc wrote:I'm having a lot of trouble with this one. I've tried multiple times to install it, failing each time.

A Google produces quite a number of hits from people ALSO having the problem.
My initial effort was to do what one poster suggested and read the KB completely: MS12-034: Description of the security update for CVE-2012-0181 in Windows XP: May 8, 2012

One of my attempts was to follow the registry hacks down at the bottom, concerning keyboard layouts. Still wouldn't install the update, so I've hidden it and just thought I'd mention it here, after restoring my registry!
Can't help you there, Al. :groan:
Last edited by viking33 on 22 May 2012, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

And you have successfully installed 2676562?
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Argus wrote:And you have successfully installed 2676562?
Not sure why you asked that question, Argus, but YES that KB was installed on May 10, 2012.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

DaveA wrote:Al,
Don't you use a key mapping program?

From one "old soldier" to another, I owe you a BEER, Dave!!!

Reset my keyboard, rebooted as instructed by the Mapkeyboard.Exe program and tried again.

This time the KB installed without a hitch! Thank you for your "long-term" memory my friend!!! :clapping: :thankyou:

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Bigaldoc wrote:
Argus wrote:And you have successfully installed 2676562?
Not sure why you asked that question, Argus, but YES that KB was installed on May 10, 2012.
From your link for the KB2686509:
You must install this update and security update 2676562 to protect the system against vulnerabilities that could arise from loading keyboard layout files from untrusted locations.
I guess I was lucky with the May batch of updates, I had no problems with them; though indeed, I noticed there were a couple of complex updates this month, linked together, and several for the same vulnerability in Windows and Office, I think.

That got me wondering about the installation order, sequence, as I downloaded the updates, but that shouldn't matter nowadays, and the FAQ in MS12-034 says that:
There is more than one update listed for the software installed on my system. Do I need to install all of the updates?
Yes. Customers should apply all updates offered for the software installed on their systems.

Do I need to install these security updates in a particular sequence?
No. Multiple updates for one version of software can be applied in any sequence.
When I did the update I installed the 2676562 just before the 2686509, using the downloaded updates. As mentioned, it shouldn't matter; I was just thinking if there was something else going on, apart from what was mentioned in your link.

In the FAQ they also describe how it is supposed to work:
Are there special requirements related to applying the security update packages that address CVE-2012-0181?

Yes. The detection logic for the security update package identified as KB2686509 performs an eligibility check of the system in order to verify whether the system meets the requirements to activate the fix applied by KB2676562, which addresses CVE-2012-0181. If the system meets the requirements, both KB2686509 and KB2676562 will be successfully installed on the system and the vulnerability described in CVE-2012-0181 will be addressed. Otherwise, KB2686509 will be re-offered until the system does meet the requirements. Successful installation of both the KB2686509 and KB2676562 update packages are necessary to be protected against CVE-2012-0181 on Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 systems. If your system does not meet the requirements to install the update, please follow the guidance documented in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 2686509.
So, as it says you might be "re-offered until the system does meet the requirements"; then it links to the KB article you have already read etc.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Thanks, Argus! Whew, lots of reading necessary isn't that so?

It's SO EASY to miss a little something, somewhere, that might give one a problem...

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Yes; sorry for the lengthy quotes.
I often take a look at the bulletins before installing, and many times it seems like the FAQs cover more or less similar issues every time, i.e. "there is more than one, should I install all" etc. But sometimes there is a little bit of vital info there as well.

As Dave said it is related to the loading of keyboard layout files, so he was spot on; when he mentioned it I did remember that you were among some Loungers that had used keyboard software. Good to hear it is solved!

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I sure am impressed with the way loungers look after one another!

Kudos to you all!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

BobH wrote:... I sure am impressed with the way loungers look after one another!
Amen, Bob! Probably MY single-most reason for sticking with THIS crew for oh so many years!

THIS is the place...