Backing up one screen

Slim
StarLounger

Backing up one screen

Post by Slim »

My previous keyboard had a button at the top left marked "Back". When operating on the net I could return to the previously displayed screen simply by pressing this button. To return to the screen I just left I could press a button marked "forward". I found this very handy in many circumstances. Now, the new keyboard does not have these buttons.
My question is this. Is there a keyboard shortcut that I can use to do what the "back" button did? And is there a keyboard shortcut that will do what the "forward" button did?
Best regards,
Slim

HansV
Administrator

Re: Backing up one screen

Post by HansV »

You can use Alt+Left arrow to go back, and Alt+Right arrow to go forward.
Backspace also takes you back to the previous page.
Best wishes,
Hans

Slim
StarLounger

Post by Slim »

Many thanks Hans. You have saved me much frustration and time with this solution.
With best regards,
Slim

stuckling1
2StarLounger

Post by stuckling1 »

HansV wrote: Backspace also takes you back to the previous page.
Shift+Backspace takes you forward too

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I had never tried that one - thanks!
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

stuckling1 wrote:Shift+Backspace takes you forward too
HansV wrote:I had never tried that one - thanks!
:fanfare: :clapping: Have a :chocciebar: for knowing something that Hans didn't!

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I have noticed a small discrepancy when selecting the History menu in Firefox with the mouse or via the keyboard; if using the latter, the keyboard, there will be menu entries for moving backward or forward, showing the old familiar keyboard shortcuts, Alt-Left arrow and Alt-Right arrow. Obviously very handy if you don't have a mouse and don't know the shortcuts.

In Internet Explorer these are always present on the View menu; but once one knows the shortcuts there's of course no need to access the menu.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

stuckling1
2StarLounger

Post by stuckling1 »

Argus wrote:I have noticed a small discrepancy when selecting the History menu in Firefox with the mouse or via the keyboard; if using the latter, the keyboard, there will be menu entries for moving backward or forward, showing the old familiar keyboard shortcuts
Sharp eyes, Argus!
I doubt I'd ever have noticed this - interestingly there is a similar job on the File menu:
There are three new menu items that appear if you open it with the keyboard [alt+f] which aren't there with mouse: Open Location; Close Tab; Close Window. All have keyboard shortcuts associated.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Yep (I try to have an eye open... whether it's a weather eye or not I don't know :laugh: ), there's a similar thing there; but a comment about the File menu (in English versions) would have brought me even further off-topic, talking about Fx was bad already. :grin: Hence I added a little about IE's View menu, and that one can find shortcuts via menus. :smile:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.