How change "open with" shell option for a specific file type

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

How change "open with" shell option for a specific file type

Post by Pilgrim »

Here's the situation. I am trying to change the default program to open .eps files. Currently, I have them set to open in CS5. However, I recently installed CS6 and tried to make it the default program but no can do. I've tried using the "Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program" but no go. Adobe Photoshop CS6 does not appear in the recommended programs nor other programs. When I use the "Browse" and click on "Photoshop.exe" it isn't displayed. I can go through this same process with every other graphic file type, e.g., .jpg, .gif, .tiff, .efs, etc. and they all work both by double-clicking on them or using the "Open with" shell item which displays Photoshop CS6. It is just with this one file type; .eps that is having the problem. I even tried renaming CS5's Photoshop.exe file to see if that would remove it from the list and allow me to choose the same relevant file in CS6, but that didn't work either.

I can open CS6 and then use the "File/Open" method to open any .eps file without any problem.

Sooooo, I'm guessing that I'm going to have to do a manual Registry change. The question is WHERE would this function be in the Registry? and what do I enter in the necessary place(s)? IF the key, or whatever, that has the current default program, CS5, entered as a path, then that would be a simple fix, hehe.

Any takers?
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

HansV
Administrator

Re: How change "open with" shell option for a specific file

Post by HansV »

Start Regedit and expand HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.
Scroll down the left hand pane, locate the .eps extension and click on it.
Look at the (Default) entry in the right hand pane. You'll see a short descriptive name, e.g. "epsfile".
Scroll down the left hand pane, locate the name you found (epsfile in my example). You can also search for it (Ctrl+F).
Expand this item, expand shell, then expand open, and select command.
Do you see a reference to CS5 in the right hand pane? If so, change it to refer to CS6.
Best wishes,
Hans

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Re: How change "open with" shell option for a specific file

Post by Pilgrim »

Thanks, Hans. That was easy enough and it did the trick.

Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!