IE 9 and Windows 7

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

IE 9 and Windows 7

Post by Skitterbug »

I am curious especially since a friend asked me this question - can IE 9 be uninstalled like any other stand alone app or is it still needed in some way by Windows?

Thanks
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: IE 9 and Windows 7

Post by Argus »

Yes, it's possible to uninstall IE9, it will restore IE8.

But since IE is part of the OS, and IE9 is considered to be an update, the uninstall link is found under "installed updates", not together with the other software.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... explorer-9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Argus wrote:Yes, it's possible to uninstall IE9, it will restore IE8.

But since IE is part of the OS, and IE9 is considered to be an update, the uninstall link is found under "installed updates", not together with the other software.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... explorer-9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So a person using MS Windows cannot ever get rid of IE, only upgrading or downgrading the version?
I will pass along the link you provided and thank you for replying to my question!
Happy Easter!

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

With Windows 7 you can turn IE off. Go to Control Panel | Programs | Turn Windows Features on or off. Then uncheck IE. There will still be some components of IE installed that are expected to be there by other applications but the UI part will not be available.

Joe
Joe

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

JoeP wrote:With Windows 7 you can turn IE off. Go to Control Panel | Programs | Turn Windows Features on or off. Then uncheck IE. There will still be some components of IE installed that are expected to be there by other applications but the UI part will not be available.

Joe
Searching for IE stuff brings up lots of info but sometimes the definitive piece of documentation for a problem remains hidden in the vast universe of network material! :grin: In other words - I can't always find what I need when I need it! :laugh:

Thanks Joe and Argus for the information!

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

You're not alone. :smile: I've been known to wade through countless of entries in Firefox’ History to find something when no keyword seems to match the page I once visited and thought wasn’t worthy a bookmark. But sometimes, just sometimes, everything works. (As in when you are not looking for it, and you still remember that you once did. But one can't just pretend not to look, that doesn't work ... :grin:)

I've mentioned it before:
Searchers' Laws
1. You can always find what you're not looking for.
2. If a lost thing is found, something else will disappear.
3. If you file it, you'll know where it is but never need it. If you don't file it, you'll need it but never know where it is.
4. The first place to look for anything is the last place you would expect to find it.
5. You will always find what you have lost in the last place you look for it.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

In short: serendipity... :smile:
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Yes. :smile: But with the small difference that in my case there once was a quest to find that :censored: page, that I had previously visited. :grin: So when/if I find it, it isn't a new find, more like a providential find, someone, something, has decided that something wonderful should happen. :laugh: But as with serendipity the best way is to start a search for something completely different, that also will not be found.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

BTW, you can't always uninstall IE9 and revert to IE8. Some (maybe many by now) OEMs now integrate IE9 into the Windows build for new PCs. If IE9 is installed in that manner you can't revert to IE8.

Joe
Joe