Spell Checker For IE 9

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Spell Checker For IE 9

Post by hlewton »

Does anyone know of a spell checker for use in IE 9? It seems ieSpell checker does not work in the 64 Bit version of IE 9. I saw one that is called Speckie but there seems to be conflicting opinions about if it works in IE 9 or not.

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Spell Checker For IE 9

Post by JoeP »

It works in IE9.

Joe
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well I installed it and it does not always highlight mistakes. Is there some setting I am missing?
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

hlewton wrote:...ieSpell checker does not work in the 64 Bit version of IE 9...
I have never come across a need to use the 64 bit version of IE 9. The 32 bit version works perfectly well, even if you are running a 64 bit version of Windows. There are many other addons that won't work in 64 bit IE9 too, just stick with the 32 bit version and you should be fine.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I just tried to check to see which version was installed and can't tell it does not say when I do the about IE. How would I know which I have? I'm assuming it is the 32 bit version because once I installed somehow magically ieSpell appeared where it wasn't there before.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If you are running the 64-bit IE, when you do About IE it will say 64-bit version. Otherwise you are running the 32-bit version. If you have a 64-bit Windows you have both 32-bit & 64-bit IE.

If you display the Menu Bar (either press the Alt key or right click in the IE title area and click "Menu Bar") then go to Tools | Speckie Settings you can change settings and download other dictionaries.

Joe
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:If you are running the 64-bit IE, when you do About IE it will say 64-bit version. Otherwise you are running the 32-bit version. If you have a 64-bit Windows you have both 32-bit & 64-bit IE.

If you display the Menu Bar (either press the Alt key or right click in the IE title area and click "Menu Bar") then go to Tools | Speckie Settings you can change settings and download other dictionaries.

Joe
Joe thanks for the information. I do not see where it says 64-bit version when I do that About IE so I guess it is the 32-bit version. However, I do have a 64-bit version of Windows 7 so I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you say I have "both 32-bit & 64-bit IE." How or when would the 64-bit version come into play?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

When you install Internet Explorer 9 on a PC with 64-bit Windows 7, both the 32-bit and the 64-bit version of Internet Explorer are installed.
Here is part of my Start > All Programs menu:
x1025.png
The one at the top is 64-bit IE9, and the one below that 32-bit IE9.
There is currently no compelling reason to use the 64-bit version - its performance is not better than that of the 32-bit version, and there are some compatibility problems. So you should stay with the 32-bit version.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks. I see it on mine too. To be honest I may never have noticed it though.
Regards,
hlewton