Webcams And Facebook

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Webcams And Facebook

Post by Bigaldoc »

Some may remember that I acquired an HP laptop in early November and it has a built-in webcam which I had no experience with up until this time.

Not long after getting the laptop I had a webcam chat with a fellow Lounger in England that was very lovely, and was motivational to me to continue this pursuit.

Today, on Facebook, I had another short webcam video meeting with another fellow Lounger, Hey Jude, and it also was very pleasant, crystal clear in both image and audio.

I am (knowing I'm old and somewhat out of touch) quite pleased with both of these experiences and hope to continue the experience with others in the future, especially my family, many of whom I've not seen face-to-face for many years.

Between Facebook's interface and modern webcam software, the two experiences were outstanding!!!

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Re: Webcams And Facebook

Post by PJ_in_FL »

My Dear One and I have Win 7 loaded laptops, both with the webcams, and I've been too lazy to learn how to connect them for video chats. I would greatly appreciate knowing what webcam software did you use and how easy it was?

By the way --- GO WILDCATS!!!!!!
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Skype is the usual video chat mechanism. It has the overarching advantage of requiring no connection whatever with Facebook!

PS I believe the wild-cats have already gone from most areas of the world.
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

PJ_in_FL wrote:My Dear One and I have Win 7 loaded laptops, both with the webcams, and I've been too lazy to learn how to connect them for video chats. I would greatly appreciate knowing what webcam software did you use and how easy it was?

By the way --- GO WILDCATS!!!!!!
The webcam in my laptop is built in but since I used Facebook, I didn't need to run the software that came with the webcam. Facebook, during your first call, will install something called "Facebook Video Calling 1.1.1.1" on your system. When I Googled that, it seems to have been supplied to Facebook by the folks at Skype.

I have since downloaded and installed the free Skype as recommended by others here in The Lounge but have not used it yet since all my contacts are using Facebook anyway.

PS: Our Cats play their next game on Saturday evening in Iowa. Go Big Blue !!!

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

I'll look into installing Skype tonight.

Anyone have experience with Microsoft Live Messenger or Yahoo Messenger for video chat? I saw some (possibly biased) reports that these were both relatively easy, with Yahoo having the advantage of allowing linking to a mobile device.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

DaveInPitt
StarLounger

Post by DaveInPitt »

John Gray wrote:Skype is the usual video chat mechanism. It has the overarching advantage of requiring no connection whatever with Facebook!

Yes, I use Skype when video chatting and would recommend it to everyone.
DaveInPitt
Pittsburgh, PA

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I have nothing against Skype, Dave, and as I mentioned I have it installed but have not had to use it.

All of the people in my "circle of friends" are Facebook users and that requires NO additional software like Skype and is terribly easy to use. After a minute or two of initial setup, it seems to work flawlessly.

If you're a Facebook user, I'd give it a try, in addition to Skype.

DaveInPitt
StarLounger

Post by DaveInPitt »

Thanks Al - I'll check it out!
DaveInPitt
Pittsburgh, PA

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

John Gray wrote: . . .
Wishing not to be overly pedantic, but I must object to your postscript. Here in the Western US there are plenty of wildcats. The largest of the breed are known variously as cougars, pumas, and mountain lions. I believe the terms catamount and panther have also been used to describe them. Consider resting comfortably in your rear garden next to the pool and hearing one of these roar and growl about 40 yards away. Click 7 Cougar We have been privy to that demonstration. It seems that a resurgence in the population of deer in suburbia has drawn reproducing pairs of the beasts to our back doors.

Yes, indeed, there are plenty of wildcats here, but I shan't go into the other breeds one might encounter.

Cougar
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

BobH wrote:... Yes, indeed, there are plenty of wildcats here ...
And, in Kentucky, there are Wildcats EVERYWHERE... :clapping: :innocent:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.