Replacing Internet Explorer 9 with Internet Explorer 8

jmt356
SilverLounger

Replacing Internet Explorer 9 with Internet Explorer 8

Post by jmt356 »

I recently upgraded to a new computer that had IE 9 installed on it by default. However, IE 9 is not compatible with a program I had running on the old computer that I have installed on the new computer. Would I be able to download an installed IE 8 from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... x?id=16599" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; without any problems? The new computer runs Windows 7 Home Premium (the old computer ran Windows 7 Home Basic)? If so, do I first need to uninstall IE 9?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Replacing Internet Explorer 9 with Internet Explorer 8

Post by HansV »

How does the program interact with Internet Explorer? Can you turn on compatibility mode?
x974.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I don't believe it has compatibility mode. It is a dictionary that produces the definition of any word on the screen that is right-clicked. I believe the software engineers design the program so that every time a new version of IE comes out, the user needs to upgrade the software (or downgrade IE). I already upgraded once and don't want to upgrade again.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The link that you posted only provides "a list of sites that are most likely to be displayed better in Compatibility View in Windows Internet Explorer 8".
If you really want to go back to Internet Explorer 8, simply uninstall Internet Explorer 9. You should then automatically revert to Internet Explorer 8 (which is built into Windows 7).
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

jmt356 wrote:I don't believe it has compatibility mode. It is a dictionary that produces the definition of any word on the screen that is right-clicked. I believe the software engineers design the program so that every time a new version of IE comes out, the user needs to upgrade the software (or downgrade IE). I already upgraded once and don't want to upgrade again.
I don't think Hans was asking you to turn on 'compatibility mode' in your program. Compatibly mode is a feature of IE 9. In other words if you set IE9 to use 'compatibility mode' it will behave like IE8 when it has to, which would be when you run your non-IE9 compatible program.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Normally, you turn compatibility mode "on" for specific sites only, if they don't run correctly in IE9 mode.
It is possible to turn on compatibity mode globally:
- Select Tools | Compatibility View settings.
- Tick the check box "Display all websites in Compatibility View".
- Click Close.
x975.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Enabling compatibility view does not cause the program to work.

Hans, are you sure that uninstalling IE 9 is all I need to do? I only see IE 9 installed on my computer. I would be surprised to find IE 8 on there.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Internet Explorer 8 isn't listed, but it should become available automatically when you uninstall Internet Explorer 9. As I mentioned, Internet Explorer 8 is part of Windows 7.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

To be on the safe side, create a system restore point before uninstalling IE9. That way, you can easily go back if it doesn't work out the way you want.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Hans, you were right, by uninstalling IE 9, IE 8 was automatically restored. The program now works as it did before I upgraded computers.

A few questions:

- Do you think there will be a point where I am forced to upgrade to IE 9 and will no longer be able to find the IE 8 installation file? If so, would it make sense to download the IE 8 installation file now?

- Do you think this company deliberately programs their software to be incompatible with future versions of IE? I have another dictionary called WordWeb that works by right clicking any word in any program, including IE, and that program has been able to work through many diverse upgrades of IE without needing to buy an upgrade.

By the way, IE 9 is quite complicated to uninstall. You have to go through cmd.exe rather than through Add/Remove Programs.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

jmt356 wrote:- Do you think there will be a point where I am forced to upgrade to IE 9 and will no longer be able to find the IE 8 installation file? If so, would it make sense to download the IE 8 installation file now?
For the third time now: Internet Explorer 8 is built into Windows 7. When you uninstall a later version of Internet Explorer, Windows 7 automatically reverts to Internet Explorer 8. As far as I know, there is no separate installation file for Internet Explorer 8 on Windows 7.
jmt356 wrote:- Do you think this company deliberately programs their software to be incompatible with future versions of IE?
I'm sorry, I can't answer that. There is no way for me to know how the developer of your utility operates. I don't even know the name of the program! And if I did, I still wouldn't know. Why don't you ask them?
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

jmt356 wrote:By the way, IE 9 is quite complicated to uninstall. You have to go through cmd.exe rather than through Add/Remove Programs.
Internet Explorer is a Windows component, so you have to click "Turn Windows features on or off" in the Programs and Features control panel:
S00041.png
You can clear the check box for Internet Explorer 9 here:
S00042.png
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

HansV wrote:
jmt356 wrote:- Do you think there will be a point where I am forced to upgrade to IE 9 and will no longer be able to find the IE 8 installation file? If so, would it make sense to download the IE 8 installation file now?
For the third time now: Internet Explorer 8 is built into Windows 7. When you uninstall a later version of Internet Explorer, Windows 7 automatically reverts to Internet Explorer 8. As far as I know, there is no separate installation file for Internet Explorer 8 on Windows 7.
I believe my question was misunderstood. Let me try to clarify:
Do you believe that at some point in the future, IE 8 will no longer be available (i.e., by simply rolling back to as you indicate below via Programs and Features on Windows 7 or by downloading online)? The reason I ask is I don't want to be stuck with a future version of IE that is not compatible with the program that is giving me difficulty with IE 9, and in future versions of Windows, rolling back may not be so easy.

Are the IE 8 installation files that are available for download on several web sites (e.g., http://www.filehippo.com/download_internet_explorer_xp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) compatible only with Windows XP?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

For the fourth time: Internet Explorer 8 is built into Windows 7. As long as you have Windows 7, Internet Explorer 8 should be available.
However, if you upgrade to Windows 8 when it is officially released, it will come with Internet Explorer 10, and I don't think there will be a way to install Internet Explorer 8.

The downloads of Internet Explorer 8 are indeed for Windows XP, they are NOT intended for Windows 7.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Here is a clip from a Microsoft site, regarding IE 8 on Windows 7.
IE 8.txt
I reiterates what Hans has told you these many times. However, if you wish to read it right from MS, go here.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5715404_uninsta ... ows-7.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I understood what Hans said the first time. I was trying to identify whether IE8 would not be available in the future "by simply rolling back to as [Hans] indicate via Programs and Features," etc.
Regards,

JMT

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

jmt356 wrote:I understood what Hans said the first time. I was trying to identify whether IE8 would not be available in the future "by simply rolling back to as [Hans] indicate via Programs and Features," etc.
Will it help if we say that:
1) because IE 8 is built into / part of Window 7 when you 'remove' it via Programs & Feature you are not actually deleting it.
2) this means that as long as you have Windows 7 on your computer you can turn on and turn off IE 8 via Programs & Features until you are blue in the face, it will always be there.
3) it also means that IE 8 for Windows 7 is not available as a standalone download, since this would be a redundant piece of software.

Ken