Capturing Screen Shots

BobH
UraniumLounger

Capturing Screen Shots

Post by BobH »

Does anyone know of free software that will capture and save a selected portion of a window? I've been using ScreenShot Pilot but lately it started saving images without color - only gray scale. I cannot find an option that will change that effect. Also, I've always accepted its limitation of capturing the entire window and cropped images afterwards. SSP got on my last nerve today; so I'm shopping for its replacement.

Thank you!

rh
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Capturing Screen Shots

Post by stuck »

The two usual :free: suspects are:
Faststone http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
and IrfanView http://www.irfanview.com/

Although both are primarily image viewers they include screen capture abilities.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Another free utility that was mentioned recently is PicPick.
My favorite is FastStone Capture. The current version is not free, but well worth the modest price. The last freeware version (5.3, which has fewer features than the current version) is still available from for example Last Freeware.
Best wishes,
Hans

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Bob, any open item that's still active can easily be 'captured. Hold the Alt key and press PrtSc (print screen). Open 'Paint' click paste then save how you want. If you intend editing it use JPEG.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, all!

I purchased, dl'd and installed FastStone Capture. It looks like it will be a big improvement over my old techniques.

Thanks again!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Got the registration details in an email this morning and took FastStone for a test drive.

I LIKE IT!

It does all the things I wanted. I can grab just the portion of a screen I want (or the whole screen); I can add a caption; I can save it or put it in another document or email; and I can resize it . . . all without having to save a file, load another program -- or more -- before having the resulting graphic.

Thank you, Hans!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, it's a great little program!
Best wishes,
Hans

stuckling1
2StarLounger

Post by stuckling1 »

So it's just me that likes the Snipping Tool ?

Ships with Vista & 7 but I believe some people have used the XP tablet version on normal XP.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

The faststone capture capability that I really like is the ability to capture a scrolling window.
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Uh oh!

I was remiss in thank Ken as well for the FastStone recommendation.

Sorry, my friend. I'll try to do better, I promise!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

stuckling1 wrote:So it's just me that likes the Snipping Tool ?
Wrong, I use it or my print screen method all the time as in my post above. Its free, easy & fast.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:Uh oh!

I was remiss in thank Ken as well for the FastStone recommendation.

Sorry, my friend. I'll try to do better, I promise!
My suggestion was for the more general Fastsone Image viewer, which despite its name includes screen capture features. it has the advantage of being free but as it is not a dedicated screen capture tool so is probably more cumbersome to use that the product you bought.

Ken

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Ships with Vista & 7 but I believe some people have used the XP tablet version on normal XP.
No, I'm on your side also.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

viking33 wrote:

No, I'm on your side also.
Me too (or should that be me also, or me as well)
Jeff

geecee
3StarLounger
Location: Australia - SOUTH MORANG - A northern suburb of the city of MELBOURNE in the state of Victoria

Post by geecee »

BobH wrote:Does anyone know of free software that will capture and save a selected portion of a window? I've been using ScreenShot Pilot but lately it started saving images without color - only gray scale. I cannot find an option that will change that effect. Also, I've always accepted its limitation of capturing the entire window and cropped images afterwards. SSP got on my last nerve today; so I'm shopping for its replacement.

Thank you!

rh
Sorry to "bump up", but if only I had been a member then perhaps I could have helped. I have used the free version of Gadwin PrintScreen for many years - well at least ten - and believe it to be one of the better ones, though I must admit I haven't tried many. I think it can do most, if not all, of what you were looking for but not a scrolling window as StuartR mentioned about the Faststone capture. I know it's a bit late now since you have purchased an alternative but maybe you'd like to download from http://www.gadwin.com/download/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and install the programme, test it, and see what you think. Maybe, if someone else is looking for such a programme, this can help.
George

When we're gaun up the hill o’ fortune, may we ne'er meet a frien' comin' doun!
(When we are going up the hill of fortune, may we never meet a friend coming down!)

:smile: Don't cry because it's over...Smile because it happened.l :smile:

:note: At the end of the day it's midnight. :note:

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

In my job I do screen captures every day. I used to use Faststone for a while but ever since I discovered Screenpresso, I've never looked back. The editor of Screenpresso has some amazing tools to illustrate the capture and the scrolling screen capture process is the easiest I have ever come across. It is outright the best capture program IMHO, and I have test driven many in the process. Oh, and I should mention that the FREE version is more than capable to handle the tasks one needs, however there is a paid for version with extra options available. :)
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

geecee
3StarLounger
Location: Australia - SOUTH MORANG - A northern suburb of the city of MELBOURNE in the state of Victoria

Post by geecee »

Great site is Eileen's Lounge. A lot to look through but somewhere in there might just be something you've been looking for or maybe it will come along later, as happened here. I came across this topic, put in my tuppence worth, even though it was of no help to BobH, and then along comes Rudi with the programme he uses for screenshots.

Rudi, I downloaded the free version of Screenpresso and chose the portable option rather than the installation option and must say it is indeed a great programme. My only dislike is the crosshairs used when selecting a part screen but I don't think it's enough to put me off changing over from Gadwin PrintScreen.

:cheers: Thanks.
George

When we're gaun up the hill o’ fortune, may we ne'er meet a frien' comin' doun!
(When we are going up the hill of fortune, may we never meet a friend coming down!)

:smile: Don't cry because it's over...Smile because it happened.l :smile:

:note: At the end of the day it's midnight. :note:

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hey Geecee, we all have our like and dislikes :smile: Thats what makes the world a special place. I know the thread was an old one, but like you, thought to add my 2 cents worth to it. I mentioned that i am enjoying Screenpresso but i'll also try out your recommendation of Gadwin since out of all the various screen capture apps i've used, i dont recall this one, so its worth some investigation on my behalf.

Cheers, and BTW, I agree that Eileens is a great site!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Such a long time since this subject was on the boil but it might just be worth reviving for someone who - like myself- appreciates simpicity but with reliability. That for many years I enjoyed with FastStone Capture but then came the magnification issue when one tried to use it. Then along comes W11 with the Snipping took as standard which worked ok for a while then began failing to isolate the section selected for saving. So, I did a bit of searching and found "DuckLink Screen Capture" which is dead easy to use and free. It has the same features as Faststone Capture including scrolling so for basic capturing of all the screen or desired sections it is highly recommended. Cheers Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

DuckLink was last updated in 2011, and the developer's website doesn't exist anymore...
Best wishes,
Hans