WinPatrol 2011: Unreadable Cookies

Gloria E
5StarLounger

WinPatrol 2011: Unreadable Cookies

Post by Gloria E »

I understand that a Microsoft update has changed how they name cookie files. They now use random file names (unencryped text files). The owners of the cookie is no longer identified, all you see are letters & numbers.txt. :scratch:

This from Bits From Bill Pytlovany, author WinPatrol 2011. If you upgrade to 2012, this situation has been fixed. It will provide a fix and provides even better information about your cookies. :cheers:

If this post is posted to the wrong forum, please feel free to move it to where it belongs.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: WinPatrol 2011: Unreadable Cookies

Post by HansV »

Windows itself (at least Windows 7) is still able to display the names of the cookies in a meaningful way:
x914.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Gloria E wrote:I understand that a Microsoft update has changed how they name cookie files. They now use random file names (unencryped text files). The owners of the cookie is no longer identified, all you see are letters & numbers.txt. :scratch:

This from Bits From Bill Pytlovany, author WinPatrol 2011. If you upgrade to 2012, this situation has been fixed. It will provide a fix and provides even better information about your cookies. :cheers:

If this post is posted to the wrong forum, please feel free to move it to where it belongs.

Gloria E
Could you give us a few examples? I've got the latest WIn updates and can read cookies OK.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

See Windows Update Changes IE Cookies Names and WinPatrol 2012 – Long Time Coming. Apparently WinPatrol displayed the actual file names of IE cookies instead of their description, and this has been fixed in the latest release. Windows itself has always displayed the description and still does.
Best wishes,
Hans