How Do I Determine What Ethernet Controller I Have?

BobH
UraniumLounger

How Do I Determine What Ethernet Controller I Have?

Post by BobH »

In the continuing saga of my computer recovery miseries, I've reached the point with my Dell Dim4700 desktop running WinXP Pro SP3 that I want to connect to the Internet and run all the updates to my Microsoft products. In setting up the Internet connection, all went well until I tried to connect when I got the old 769 error message, which was a forehead slapping moment (as you can imagine), and I realized that I needed to check my devices. Sure enough my ethernet controller has the yellow question mark.

I have no idea what product is installed in the machine. A check of the Dell support site for the service tag number gave me much information but I could not pick the ethernet controller information - including the appropriate drive - from the things I found. It seems that there is Conexant information and Intel information in the Communications section of the drivers download pages.

Looking at Device Manager only reveals the yellow question mark but no hints as to the controller manufacturer or driver needed. I have purchased a number of Dell machines over time; and, being the pack rat that I am, have numerous Dell CDs but I was not smart enough to identify the CDs with the machines. Dell's drivers web pages do not have a search function so I can't enter "Ethernet controller driver for 'service tag'" and arrive at the desired destination.

Suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

aekyall
4StarLounger

Re: How Do I Determine What Ethernet Controller I Have?

Post by aekyall »

Would the SIW program by Gabriel topala http://www.gtopala.com provide you with the info you need? - It certainly gives me some ethernet info but not sure if that's exactly what you're looking for.

Regards
Regards,
Keith

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

BobH wrote:I have no idea what product is installed in the machine. A check of the Dell support site for the service tag number gave me much information but I could not pick the ethernet controller information - including the appropriate drive - from the things I found. It seems that there is Conexant information and Intel information in the Communications section of the drivers download pages.
At the Dell support site look for the Warranty Information link. Click it even if your warranty is expired. There should be tab called "Original configuration" or something similar.

Joe
Joe

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

BobH

Belarc Adviser - Free Personal PC Audit amongst many other items of detailed information about my computer tells me I have a VIA Rhine III Fast Ethernet Adapter. I have used this programme for a few years and I'm impressed by its usefulness.

You can download the programme from: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A similar programme is Everest by Lavasys (who provide the Ad-Aware software) at: http://www.lavalys.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

A similar programme is Everest by Lavasys (who provide the Ad-Aware software) at: http://www.lavalys.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't see an edit button - please ignore the above as I am wrong about Ad-Aware which is supplied by Lavasoft not Lavalsys

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, all, for the responses and suggestions.

The Dell website finally offered up the name of the driver that I need; however, they are holding it hostage until I make the proper blood offerings to ransom it. I cannot get past their download manager software and I cannot get that software ported to the desktop system which is without Internet connection until the network controller driver is installed. When I download and copy the file from them to my flash drive and transport it to the desktop, the desktop doesn't recognize and associate the file with any software on that machine and, so, cannot open it.

I'm allowing my blood pressure medicine to do its work for awhile before trying again. I have discovered that it is virtually impossible to contact Dell without first renewing a long-expired warranty or paying ransom or offering up a first-born son.

Again, thanks for the help. The drive I need is from Intel. Maybe I can find it via their web presence. Sigh !
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote: Sure enough my ethernet controller has the yellow question mark.
You could also try to right click the device marked with the exclamation point and uniinstall it.
The reboot and see if the system "finds" the proper driver again.

Also if you are sure that it's an Intel device and have a name for it , Intel.com would probably be able to give you a download for it.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

BobH wrote:Thank you, all, for the responses and suggestions.
Again, thanks for the help. The drive I need is from Intel. Maybe I can find it via their web presence. Sigh !
For updating drivers download and install DriverMax http://download.cnet.com/DriverMax/3000 ... tag=button" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I found this for you
Dimension 4700 Ethernet Controller

I too use Belarc Advisor. I just read this thread and have a Dell Dimension 3000 which I will check to see which drivers that uses and check my Belarc file. I'll post back.

My 3000 uses the same ethernet controller Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection which can be d/l from that site I posted
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

BobH wrote:In the continuing saga of my computer recovery miseries, I've reached the point with my Dell Dim4700 desktop running WinXP Pro SP3 that I want to connect to the Internet and run all the updates to my Microsoft products. In setting up the Internet connection, all went well until I tried to connect when I got the old 769 error message, which was a forehead slapping moment (as you can imagine), and I realized that I needed to check my devices. Sure enough my ethernet controller has the yellow question mark.
Bob,
With many Dell machines, drivers must be installed in a particular order (see here). You must install the Desktop System Software first, and then the chipset software before you install the other drivers. If you don't follow this order, other drivers may not be recognized.

If you are lucky, the installation of these two drivers may allow the other drivers to be installed and recognized. If not, you may have to start from scratch and reinstall XP again and then install the drivers in the recommended order.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Here are some other steps to correct the 769 error once you have your ethernet controller installed:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892889
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image