Documents & settings folder

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Documents & settings folder

Post by Dave Davison »

Just tried to copy a DVD and got the message "There is not enough disc space available" so looked at "C" drive and discovered that it is in fact nearly full. I therefore conclude that (because the the main drive is partitioned) this accumulating of data must be in the D & S folder seeing the only other folders in the C drive are :- Intel; Program Files & Windows. Can I drag /transfer the said folder to either the "D" or "F" drives (which latter is [500GB] that has just recently been installed for extra capacity? :thankyou: again Dave.
C drive 36.GB....D 258GB F 465 GB...

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Documents & settings folder

Post by StuartR »

I don't think you can move the whole "Documents and Settings" folder this way.

You can move the individual My Documents folders of users, I haven't got a copy of XP here to check, but I think you will find a Move Folder option somewhere in the folder properties.

Alternatively you could move all the content of the My Documents folders, and replace it with a shortcut to the new location.
StuartR

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

..thanks Stuart......as I guessed it is not as simple as it seems & I need more assurance before attempting this task but really must attend to it one way ot another to free up space on the "C" drive. Seems that (as I hinted originally) by default, saved data seems to be directed into the "My Documents" folder. Thanks for the reply, Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Dave,

From previous posts by you, I know that you download a lot of videos, and video files tend to be large. So your "My Videos" folder might well be very large. It might be worthwhile to create a folder for videos on one of the new disks, and to move some or all of the videos from your "My Videos" folder to the new folder.
Please note that if you drag a file from one disk to another, Windows creates a copy by default.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

As Stuart said, it is easy to move your My Documents folder to a new location:
1) right click on the My Documents icon
2) click 'Properties'
you'll get the attached dialog (with your name in place of the red bordered box)
3) click on the 'Move...' button
4) browse to where ever you wish to move it to, (your new F: drive sounds like a good destination) and OK out of the dialogs

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks again for each response, I must apologies for crossing my wires somewhat in post 52905 when I used the term "My Documents" instead of "Documents & Settings". That folder, I have just discovered, was the cause of the lack of free space on the "C" drive as it includes the contents of the desktop where (rather ineptly) I had rather big folders that should not have been there. Having cut and pasted them to drive "F" I now have ample free space on drive "C". Thanks heaps gents for the assistance. Dave.

ChrisJakarta
StarLounger

Post by ChrisJakarta »

Although you have solved your problem, it sounds like you might perhaps have identified the problem more swiftly with TreeSize Free, a :free: utility that is launched via the right-click contect menu for any folder. I have found it invaluable when I run out of disk space.

Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Dave Davison wrote:... contents of the desktop ...
Another great reason for storing nothing, not even shortcuts, on the desktop ...(grin)
1.png
Well, OK.
Maybe an oil-tanker or two.
But only if you own a car ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace