Building an XML site map

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Building an XML site map

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Is there an easy way to generate an XML sitemap offline?

I have heard that an XML sitemap is the way to go, and a Google Search returns a bewildering array of online forms to fill in.
I can easily generate for myself a list of all the URLs I'd like spiders to index.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

jscher2000
2StarLounger

Re: Building an XML site map

Post by jscher2000 »

ChrisGreaves wrote:Is there an easy way to generate an XML sitemap offline?
Yes, if you have a list of URLs and a good find & replace engine (e.g., MS Word), it's simple. Looking at this old one, it looks as though that's how I threw it together: http://www.jeffersonscher.com/jefferson ... itemap.xml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (right-click and save to view it in text editor).

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

jscher2000 wrote:... and a good find & replace engine (e.g., MS Word), it's simple. ...
Thanks Jefferson.
I half-hoped that I wouldn't have to be all GUI/online, and the ability to re-generate the site map automatically - or to have the web compiler update the sitemap automatically and FTP it when changed - each month is good news.

Sam1085
3StarLounger

Post by Sam1085 »

You can just try it by using XML site map generator plugin (For WordPress, Joomla...etc users). Otherwise you used basic HTML to build your site, then you can generate site map easily by using this type of website.

https://www.xml-sitemaps.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Above mentioned two options will be allowed to change indexing frequency & priority. So, no need to re-create and re-submit XML site map to google console.
-Sampath-

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Sam1085 wrote:You can just try it by using XML site map generator plugin (For WordPress, Joomla...etc users). Otherwise you used basic HTML to build your site, then you can generate site map easily by using this type of website.
Hello Sam,
in the end I think I went with a Robots.txt file:-
ChrisGreaves.com

Although my web site has changed drastically since I retired four years ago.
cheers
Chris