Windows 11 Update Stopped Blu Ray Burners From Working

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Re: Windows 11 Update Stopped Blu Ray Burners From Working

Post by BobArch2 »

It is Microsoft that controls the driver updates. Even if I was able to send you the driver I would suggest that MS would say that you already have the most current driver for your burner.

On a different note, I suspect that albeit ASUS uses the term “Drivers” on their support web page, the files are really Firmware updates. You stated that the ASUS helpline said their units are “plug-n-play”. Confirmation to me that their web files are really the firmware updates and they rely on MS to control the driver process.
Regards,
Bob

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BobArch2 wrote:
03 Dec 2022, 20:06
It is Microsoft that controls the driver updates. Even if I was able to send you the driver I would suggest that MS would say that you already have the most current driver for your burner.

On a different note, I suspect that albeit ASUS uses the term “Drivers” on their support web page, the files are really Firmware updates. You stated that the ASUS helpline said their units are “plug-n-play”. Confirmation to me that their web files are really the firmware updates and they rely on MS to control the driver process.
I started out looking for firmware updates, even asked Asus for them. Again, I was told there weren't any. I found nothing from Asus to download except that Asus_E-Green_10151.zip file. Again, Asus directed me to it with a link they provided. it did nothing except install an E Green application, which I have since uninstalled. I saw no use for it.

Thank you for your help.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

After reading further, I have come to the conclusion that running a Repair PC is not the way to go. From what I read, it would keep my personal files but delete all my apps. I don't want that.

Is there any way to actually reinstall windows 11 and keep all my apps and data files? Or even run a repair on windows that works. i ran DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth followed by sfc /scannow and it didn't fix anything.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

You can run an in-place upgrade with Windows 11. See How to run an in-place upgrade in Windows 11.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I just had a technician from MS do that. He has been doing a lot of other things on my computer too. Nothing is making these drives, internal or external, play DVDs. They do everything else and they did work perfectly before last week. Strange.
Regards,
hlewton

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

OK, here is a very wild, wild stab at an issue that can affect the playback of DVDs … Region codes. My Pioneer units only allow for media playing using Region codes. The best way to explain it is looking at the following article:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/suppor ... s/00022799

You can view many other articles on the subject of regions by searching for “dvd Region codes” (without the quotes).

If you have media from several regions where you have changed the code in the unit's properties, you can be subjected to a limit of 5 changes. After the fifth change, you could have playback issues.

As stated, it is just a very wild stab at the possible issue.
Regards,
Bob

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BobArch2 wrote:
06 Dec 2022, 14:15
OK, here is a very wild, wild stab at an issue that can affect the playback of DVDs … Region codes. My Pioneer units only allow for media playing using Region codes. The best way to explain it is looking at the following article:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/suppor ... s/00022799

You can view many other articles on the subject of regions by searching for “dvd Region codes” (without the quotes).

If you have media from several regions where you have changed the code in the unit's properties, you can be subjected to a limit of 5 changes. After the fifth change, you could have playback issues.

As stated, it is just a very wild stab at the possible issue.
Thank you so much for the suggestion. I never have any DVDs from anywhere except the USA. however, that is not so say that somehow my computer has gotten the region code messed up. I will look at your link and hopefully find something helpful. Microsoft and Asus didn't find anything. Again thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Yep, I just checked and followed the directions in your link. My devices are set to Region 1, which is what they are supposed to be. It just does not make any sense to me that they will read data CDs, play music CDs, and burn discs using both Nero Burning Ram and its Video DVD burning program. I tested creating a DVD using Nero and some *.mov files I have. Once it was burned, I put it back in the drive and that DVD played. But again, it was created on the same computer as I managed to play it. I even hooked up an external DVD burner and it too would not play a DVD. All three of my burning drives are using the same driver from MS. I managed to ask a question and get an answer on the retailer's site about a driver. I now have a new external burner on order and am told it uses a slightly different MS driver than those I have now. I am holding out hope that it will work but from all I have tried so far, I'm not very optimistic.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well I got the new external drive and it did not load the driver I was told it used. Instead it used the exact same driver as the other drives. Consequentially it too did not work.

Strange thing happened while I was running Ccleaner, adwcleaner, and SuperAntispyweare. the drives started working. However, I shut it down to test if it would continue to work after rebooting and the drives, once again, did not work. I get no error message, the drive just keep trying to play the DVDs. However, when they do not work, there is a distinct clicking from the drives. I'd have thought Asus would have had an idea what was wrong. But they did not.
Regards,
hlewton

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Gotta be frustrating, to put it mildly. You said you ran those three utilities. I have and use CCleaner but not aware of the other two. The last one you mentioned appears to be a “spyware” catcher. Might it be possible that you have some sort of spyware that is interfering with the units? Have you installed any new software or browser extensions since the issue first surfaced?

Rebooting might have caused a wayward piece of software to startup.

Running Defender and maybe Malwarebytes might catch something <shrug>

If something is setting itself back up when the system is restarted it could be difficult to spot in the Task Manager.

As stated, FRUSTRATING :sad:
Regards,
Bob

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BobArch2 wrote:
06 Dec 2022, 22:40
Gotta be frustrating, to put it mildly. You said you ran those three utilities. I have and use CCleaner but not aware of the other two. The last one you mentioned appears to be a “spyware” catcher. Might it be possible that you have some sort of spyware that is interfering with the units? Have you installed any new software or browser extensions since the issue first surfaced?

Rebooting might have caused a wayward piece of software to startup.

Running Defender and maybe Malwarebytes might catch something <shrug>

If something is setting itself back up when the system is restarted it could be difficult to spot in the Task Manager.

As stated, FRUSTRATING :sad:
No I have not installed anything since the problem started except Windows 11 updates. I am going to try to run a program I have used over the years called Vipre Rescue if it has kept up to date and can be run on a Windows 11 machine. It searches deep and, in my opinion, fully for any hidden viruses. But on the size of disk I have, it will probably take 5 to 8 hours to run.

DVD-Cloner is still trying to work with me. So my question doesn't get lost, I am going to make a separate post following this one. Please look at it and if you or anyone else can tell me what to do, I'd appreciate it. Thanks for your help.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

DVD-Cloner has asked me to, "check with system settings and authorize DVD-Cloner with full disc access," and I have no idea how to do that. I have tried to find a way in System's Privacy & Security tab but come up empty. Can anyone tell me how to give BDV-Cloner or any other program full disc access?

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

hlewton wrote:
07 Dec 2022, 15:27
DVD-Cloner has asked me to, "check with system settings and authorize DVD-Cloner with full disc access," and I have no idea how to do that. I have tried to find a way in System's Privacy & Security tab but come up empty. Can anyone tell me how to give BDV-Cloner or any other program full disc access?

Thanks
Research shows that DVD-Cloner is software that removes copyright protection from media. I don't think discussing support for that tool is allowed in the Lounge's rules. I might suggest you contact the authors of DVD-Cloner to get assistance with system settings.
Regards,
Bob

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BobArch2 wrote:
07 Dec 2022, 15:53
hlewton wrote:
07 Dec 2022, 15:27

Thanks
Research shows that DVD-Cloner is software that removes copyright protection from media. I don't think discussing support for that tool is allowed in the Lounge's rules. I might suggest you contact the authors of DVD-Cloner to get assistance with system settings.
OK how about how can I give Leawo Blu-Ray player full disc access? That is a free program that will no longer play my DVDs either. Along with Nero video, which I also on a valid license to, will no longer play DVDs.

By the way the cloner program, at least by me, is only used to create a backup copies of DVDs I have purchased. My understanding is that is perfectly legal, as far as I have read in the past.
Regards,
hlewton

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

hlewton wrote:
07 Dec 2022, 16:02
OK how about how can I give Leawo Blu-Ray player full disc access? That is a free program that will no longer play my DVDs either. Along with Nero video, which I also on a valid license to, will no longer play DVDs.

By the way the cloner program, at least by me, is only used to create a backup copies of DVDs I have purchased. My understanding is that is perfectly legal, as far as I have read in the past.
First off, let me say I was not implying any wrong doing. I have seen in past postings in The Lounge that discussions on getting around copy protection is not allowed. Having said that I am still stymied as to how to help you resolve the issue.

I just did a search for how to give software full access to a dvd and found many articles. Too much to quote here. Perhaps you could undertake a search with the phrase I used and it might help in providing some answers.
Regards,
Bob

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BobArch2 wrote:
07 Dec 2022, 16:52

I just did a search for how to give software full access to a dvd and found many articles. Too much to quote here. Perhaps you could undertake a search with the phrase I used and it might help in providing some answers.
Actually I did and that is how I ended up on the System>Privacy & security tab. However, once there I found no way to give any particular software or hardware full disk access. I am not even sure such a thing exists. I was hoping it did though.

I am still waiting on a reply from another tech site, where I downloaded Vipre Rescue, to let me know if it works on Windows 11. I searched that, as well, and only found that its antivirus program's definitions will work on Win 11 but no mention of the rescue program. Too bad because I have used that a few times in the past on my machines and on my friends machines to correct some problems we were having.

Thanks for your help and input.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OH, I forgot to mention, in trying to give programs or hardware full disk access, I ended up in the Group Policy Editor and didn't find anything there that I understood or wanted to make any change to.
Regards,
hlewton

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

One thing I did see in my search that might work was running a program with Administrator's Rights. Try that to see if it might work. Just a shot in the dark! :scratch:
Regards,
Bob

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BobArch2 wrote:
07 Dec 2022, 17:21
One thing I did see in my search that might work was running a program with Administrator's Rights. Try that to see if it might work. Just a shot in the dark! :scratch:
Thank you. I did try that but will give it another shot. I have sent a message off with the attachment you can see below. That is from the properties of one of the programs that will not play DVDs any longer. I'm not sure if that is what is meant by giving the program full disk access or not, but it is the closest I have found so far.
Access1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I guess I was mistaken. I just went back and tried to run the programs as the administrator and neither program offers that choice, at least not from the shortcut on the desktop. I thought I had tried that but apparently I haven't.
Regards,
hlewton