This is click-bait: "Regular passenger flight from Paris to Washington DC skims above tree-line in Bonavista!

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

This is click-bait: "Regular passenger flight from Paris to Washington DC skims above tree-line in Bonavista!

Post by ChrisGreaves »

2022_12_20221203_144428.jpg
I am still celebrating my new windows, especially the view from my study where there used to be a solid wall.
I thought that I had captured the screen shot from FlightRadar, apparently not.
Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: This is click-bait: "Regular passenger flight from Paris to Washington DC skims above tree-line in Bonavista!

Post by John Gray »

I'm not quite sure why you are so surprised that planes should be seen above Bonavista, since you are not that far (as the crow flies!) from the historic airport of Gander, well-known refuelling stop for aircraft from Europe decades ago when aircraft range wasn't as great as it is now. St John's international airport is similarly 'close', in the opposite direction.

Rather more interesting is the somewhat further away small airport whose three-letter IATA location identifier is YAY...! :smile:
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: This is click-bait: "Regular passenger flight from Paris to Washington DC skims above tree-line in Bonavista!

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
05 Dec 2022, 08:48
I'm not quite sure why you are so surprised that planes should be seen above Bonavista, since you are not that far (as the crow flies!) from the historic airport of Gander, well-known refueling stop for aircraft from Europe decades ago when aircraft range wasn't as great as it is now.
Hi John.
Well, for one thing "cloud"; clear skies are rare in this neck of the woods until the really cold weather sets in.
Untitled3.png
Of course I had to use Flight Radar to locate YAY and found a flight Dubai-Orlando flying over St Anthony.
If we draw lines enveloping the northern and southern limits of planes-in-the-sky, we see that the traffic stream is some 2,000 Km wide, and later in the day the stream will become much more densely populated; but it is amazing wide.
St John's international airport is similarly 'close', in the opposite direction.
i glanced at St John's before I moved here, noted that it was a "International Airport" and knew that I could continue my annual tradition of studies of European transit systems. Chopping, I reasoned, two hours off each flight (they always seem to come in pairs).
The dust settled and I found that about 80% of the "international flights" are to Montreal and Toronto - genuine international hubs - and the remainder are to Florida (package tours for out-of-work fishermen on unemployment benefits) and Boston (historic link between families from 200+ years ago)
To make matters worse, I have to pay for a two-hour flight to Toronto, opposite my target and then another two hours of flight to arrive back where i started before actually making progress towards Europe.
To rub salt into the wound same double-charges for the trip home.

Since I arrived here i have discovered that the Paris-Toronto flights pass over way to the north of Newfoundland. This was brought home to me back in 2004 when I returned from Manchester. We skirted Greenland, some water, and then were over land. I wiped my face, put the bookmark in my book, and braced for landing. Which event came a full two hours later. Labrador is amazingly large.
Untitled4.png
In this image I have stretched the likely flight path (yellow) because flights appear not to follow fixed channels as much as channels defined by the effects of the jet stream.
I kept looking out of the window for the farming country just north of Toronto, but saw nothing but stunted scrub - looked more like the north of Western Australia than anything else.
Rather more interesting is the somewhat further away small airport whose three-letter IATA location identifier is YAY...! :smile:
Thank you, John. I visited St Anthony Wednesday, October 04, 2017, and that is where I received my first dose of native Newfoundland welcome. Fond Memories. Yay! indeed.

Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I was always much amused by the rather small Buffalo NY airport claiming the attribution "international", since planes flew across the Canadian border near Niagara Falls to Toronto International Airport, a distance of about 70 miles!

And "London Oxford Airport" (formerly known as Kidlington Airport) is actually 60-odd miles from Central London...
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
05 Dec 2022, 11:41
... rather small Buffalo NY airport claiming the attribution "international", ...
Hey John1 Don't knock BUF; my favorite airport in the USA, because while my lady-friend wandered the Walden Galleria Mall on her personal quest to to chat with every shoe salesman and linen salesman in the complex, I could stand outside and almost touch the jets coming in to land. :hello: :hello: :hello:
Cheers, Chris

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

I was raised in Victoria, in Shepparton. They have an airport.

But the airport code for Shepparton Airport is not a polite one.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

GeoffW wrote:
05 Dec 2022, 12:46
I was raised in Victoria, in Shepparton. They have an airport.

:blush: :flee:
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

GeoffW wrote:
05 Dec 2022, 12:46
'Struth, Geoff, always complaining. :grin:
At least its something you can always do in the BUF!
YAY! :clapping:
Cheers, Chris