Windows 11 Update Stopped Blu Ray Burners From Working

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Windows 11 Update Stopped Blu Ray Burners From Working

Post by hlewton »

I have 2 BD-RE Asus BW-16D1HT Blu Ray burners that worked fine until the last Windows 11 updates. I have tried installing what Asus considers its latest drivers but they are from 2016 and did not make the drivers work. I tried searching for firmware updates and found none. Any idea how to get my burners to work again?

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: Windows 11 Update Stopped Blu Ray Burners From Working

Post by hlewton »

I probably should have said that I am very sure that a Windows 11 update caused this problem because they worked perfectly last week before I allowed updates to continue. Also, I can still burn to these devices using my Nero Burning Rom program and they will read those disks after they are burned but they will not play or read DVDs any longer. I have a DVD cloner program and it will not allow me to copy my DVDs anymore.
Regards,
hlewton

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

hlewton wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 20:51
I have 2 BD-RE Asus BW-16D1HT Blu Ray burners that worked fine until the last Windows 11 updates...
Have you contacted the manufactuer for support?

hlewton wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 11:56
I have a DVD cloner program and it will not allow me to copy my DVDs anymore.
Perhaps it is a (new) security feature to prevent copying - are the DVDs you are trying to clone protected from copying?
Leif

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Leif wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 12:11
hlewton wrote:
I have 2 BD-RE Asus BW-16D1HT Blu Ray burners that worked fine until the last Windows 11 updates...
Have you contacted the manufactuer for support?

hlewton wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 11:56
I have a DVD cloner program and it will not allow me to copy my DVDs anymore.
Perhaps it is a (new) security feature to prevent copying - are the DVDs you are trying to clone protected from copying?
I did contact the person who built my computer and he did a search for new firmware for these drives. He didn't find anything. So he told me to contact Asus and gave me a phone number. My case was escalated and I am supposed to hear from Asus within 48 hours, hopefully with a solution. I did this contact after posting here. I was hoping someone could point me to a firmware update. Also these drives both worked perfectly last week before win 11's latest updates. In addition, I have the exact same drives on another computer running win 11 and they work as they should. Something needs tweaked on this computer.

No the DVDs don't have any new security on them preventing me from making a duplicate for safe keeping. These drives will no longer even play the DVDs let alone reading them in order for me to make a copy. The exact same DVD works as it should on my other computers. if the DVD would play my cloner program would work, as well.

I hope Asus has new firmware if that is what I need.

I have been looking to purchase new internal Blu Ray burners to replace these, which I have only had for about 6 months. I cannot find one burner that lists it is compatible with Windows 11, Windows 10, yes but not 11. That's a shame in view of how long Win 11 has been out. I asked the question on Amazon about a burner whose brand name I had not heard of, if it would work with Windows 11. The answer I got said it would but, good luck in getting the key to play a Blu Ray disk. I don't even know what that, "key," means. I have always been able to play the Blu Ray disks before this current problem. Not to be confusing, my current problem is not with a Blu Ray, just a regular DVD.
Regards,
hlewton

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

hlewton wrote:
I have 2 BD-RE Asus BW-16D1HT Blu Ray burners that worked fine until the last Windows 11 updates. I have tried installing what Asus considers its latest drivers but they are from 2016 and did not make the drivers work. I tried searching for firmware updates and found none. Any idea how to get my burners to work again?

Thanks
According to the ASUS web site, your burners are Windows 11 ready… https://www.asus.com/motherboards-compo ... /bw16d1ht/

But, as your mention the drivers listed are dated 2016. Have you tried to reinstall those drivers? If an update balks, you could try uninstalling the current drivers and install a fresh copy downloaded from the ASUS web site.
Regards,
Bob

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BobArch2 wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 14:06
hlewton wrote:

Thanks
According to the ASUS web site, your burners are Windows 11 ready… https://www.asus.com/motherboards-compo ... /bw16d1ht/

But, as your mention the drivers listed are dated 2016. Have you tried to reinstall those drivers? If an update balks, you could try uninstalling the current drivers and install a fresh copy downloaded from the ASUS web site.
The fellow who builds my computers remotely attached and did both of what you suggested. On my first contact with Asus support he had me download those drivers and in both instances they did not take the place or install themselves as the drivers for those optical drives. The drivers still in use are Microsoft dated 6/21/2006 version 10.0.22621.1. I have no idea why this is happening and I hope Asus can fix it.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BobArch2 wrote:

Well it looks like Asus is not keeping their word and contacting me. I have had 3 scheduled callbacks and none of them materialized. So I have to ask this. They had me download a file called Ausu_E-Green_10151.zip that is supposed to have the driver in it. That is the one with the 2016 date. After unzipping it, there is an exe file that I have run but it does not install itself as the driver for these optical drives, as I was told it was supposed to do. I have tried to "update" the driver under its Properties, Drivers Tab in the Device Manager. I directed it to the exe file but got a message saying Windows has determined that I have the latest driver installed. That can't be true since, as I mentioned above, the driver is from 2006 and it's one of Microsoft's, not Asus'. How can I make these drives install the driver that is the exe file in the unzipped folder?
Regards,
hlewton

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

hlewton wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 18:36
BobArch2 wrote:

Well it looks like Asus is not keeping their word and contacting me. I have had 3 scheduled callbacks and none of them materialized. So I have to ask this. They had me download a file called Ausu_E-Green_10151.zip that is supposed to have the driver in it. That is the one with the 2016 date. After unzipping it, there is an exe file that I have run but it does not install itself as the driver for these optical drives, as I was told it was supposed to do. I have tried to "update" the driver under its Properties, Drivers Tab in the Device Manager. I directed it to the exe file but got a message saying Windows has determined that I have the latest driver installed. That can't be true since, as I mentioned above, the driver is from 2006 and it's one of Microsoft's, not Asus'. How can I make these drives install the driver that is the exe file in the unzipped folder?
Research finds that Microsoft does update the drivers, leaves the date intact (June 21, 2006) but updates the version number.

https://superuser.com/questions/1723502 ... -from-2006

The version number according to your findings appears to be MS's most current driver … forget about the recorded date.

If you, or your builder uninstalled the MS provided driver and then tried to install the ASUS version it is always possible that MS might subsequently override that process with its own current version.

Not sure where to go from here :sad:
Regards,
Bob

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

The driver they sent me, appears to not be a driver at all. I cannot get anything to install.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Asus has promised, once again, to give me a callback. i don't believe them so I ordered a new LG Blu Ray burner. I have a machine that is working fine and it has the same Asus burner as D: and an LG as E: drive. So I checked the drivers installed in those drives. They are both using the very same driver from MS. It, again, is dayed 6/21/2006 and version 10.0.22621.1. Does that make any sense that they would both be using the same driver? I hope this LG comes with a disk with its own driver.
Regards,
hlewton

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

hlewton wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 19:47
Asus has promised, once again, to give me a callback. i don't believe them so I ordered a new LG Blu Ray burner. I have a machine that is working fine and it has the same Asus burner as D: and an LG as E: drive. So I checked the drivers installed in those drives. They are both using the very same driver from MS. It, again, is dayed 6/21/2006 and version 10.0.22621.1. Does that make any sense that they would both be using the same driver? I hope this LG comes with a disk with its own driver.
Both devices could very well use the same MS driver with the timestamp June 21, 2006 version 10.0.22621.1.

Were you able to use the link I showed above which describes MS's naming convention?
Last edited by BobArch2 on 02 Dec 2022, 20:08, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Bob

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

hlewton wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 19:47
Does that make any sense that they would both be using the same driver?
It does if they have the same controller chip.
Leif

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

hlewton wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 19:04
The driver they sent me, appears to not be a driver at all. I cannot get anything to install.
I went to the Asus Support site and they show different drivers for the same model of burner depending on the O/S. The one for Win11 makes reference to the burner as "E-Green" while the driver for the Win10 is different as noted in the snapshot. The one for Win10 also includes a few lines describing the install process.

AsusDriversA.jpg
AsusBR Green.jpg
I took a look at the properties of my unit. As you can see it use the MS driver but with a different version suitable to the Pioneer. I thought there was a way to uninstall the driver, but I was wrong as can be seen in the snapshot below. If you check the properties of your burner what do you see?
MyBR Prop.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Bob

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you for all the replies. Asus finally called, and believe this or not, I was told that Asus does not have drivers for their optical drives. They said they were Plug and Play. I asked what that meant and they said that it meant that the drives would use drivers supplied by Microsoft. Of course tyhey wanted me to pull out the drives and try them in other computers. I refused because I knew they worked before the last Windows 11 updates were installed. they said then the only other option was to reinstall Windows 11. I gave up on them and called my builder again. He had me uninstall the update I had installed on Nov. 22, 2022 and my drives once again started to work. Now I have to find which update that was and permanently block it if I can. Any advice on how to find that update without installing it again? And then, can I permanently block it so it never installs again.
Regards,
hlewton

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

hlewton wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 23:33
. …He had me uninstall the update I had installed on Nov. 22, 2022 and my drives once again started to work. Now I have to find which update that was and permanently block it if I can. Any advice on how to find that update without installing it again? And then, can I permanently block it so it never installs again.
Might I suggest you go to the Device Manager and check the Properties of your burner to see what is shown as the version number of the driver … for future reference. If it is the same as the version number of the previous issue then you will know it is not the driver but something else in the update you rolled back that caused the problem.
Regards,
Bob

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BobArch2 wrote:
03 Dec 2022, 02:53
hlewton wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 23:33
. …He had me uninstall the update I had installed on Nov. 22, 2022 and my drives once again started to work. Now I have to find which update that was and permanently block it if I can. Any advice on how to find that update without installing it again? And then, can I permanently block it so it never installs again.
Might I suggest you go to the Device Manager and check the Properties of your burner to see what is shown as the version number of the driver … for future reference. If it is the same as the version number of the previous issue then you will know it is not the driver but something else in the update you rolled back that caused the problem.
It remained the same exact driver. However, it is no longer working even though that update was uninstalled. So I need some advice here. First let me tell you what happened since I posted and thought all was well. Later in the night that drive would, once again, not play DVDs so I checked Windows Updates again. Even though I have these updates paused for 5 weeks, something installed itself. Please see attachment and take note of yesterday's date which was after the 5 week pause was set. I uninstalled that and once more the DVDs would play. This morning, again, they would not play so I checked Windows Updates again and that same update had reinstalled itself. I uninstalled it again but now there is no way I can get the DVDs to play.

I then tried repairing Windows using the command prompt and first ran DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and then SFC /scannow. That to did not help in getting the DVDs to play. I am at the point of trying to Reset the PC. I have found instructions and am wondering a couple things.

It says I can reset the PC and not lose apps or personal files but then it says, "But does this mean it won’t delete any data of yours? Not exactly. Reset this PC will keep your files in user folders and the programs installed by manufacturer. But the changes you made to settings, the apps and drivers you installed won't be retained.

Therefore, if you want to make sure all your data and apps stay 100% safe, please make a backup before resetting."
If I make a backup, should I choose only The Backup Files option the red arrow points to in the second attachment? I'm thinking I do not want to create an image since it would copy the problems I have now, I think.

Second question is, I do not have a Windows 11 Pro disk, I do have a valid license. I don't know how the fellow who builds these loads the OS. So, can I run a Start > Settings > System > Recovery > Reset this PC > Reset PC safely without a disk? Also, are there any precautions I need to be made aware of before attempting this?
Uninstall.jpg
Backup.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Based on your comments it certainly appears that it is the update and not the driver that is causing your issue. I would suggest that selecting Backup Files in MR would only backup personal files and not reset Window updates. I am not sure how you can overcome the reinstall of Window updates because you appear to be taking the appropriate procedure to delay the install(s).

At this point I am at a loss as to what to try.
Regards,
Bob

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BobArch2 wrote:
03 Dec 2022, 17:03
Based on your comments it certainly appears that it is the update and not the driver that is causing your issue. I would suggest that selecting Backup Files in MR would only backup personal files and not reset Window updates. I am not sure how you can overcome the reinstall of Window updates because you appear to be taking the appropriate procedure to delay the install(s).

At this point I am at a loss as to what to try.
I am really sick of Windows updates causing problems. A month or so ago they stopped all my printers from working. maybe I should contact Microsoft and open a case with them. Asus, sure wasn't any help and because they and LG use the same drivers, I am afraid to try to switch to LG.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Can I run a Reset PC without having a Windows 11 Pro disk?
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BobArch2 wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 20:33
hlewton wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 19:04
I went to the Asus Support site and they show different drivers for the same model of burner depending on the O/S. The one for Win11 makes reference to the burner as "E-Green" while the driver for the Win10 is different as noted in the snapshot. The one for Win10 also includes a few lines describing the install process.

AsusDriversA.jpg

AsusBR Green.jpg

I took a look at the properties of my unit. As you can see it use the MS driver but with a different version suitable to the Pioneer. I thought there was a way to uninstall the driver, but I was wrong as can be seen in the snapshot below. If you check the properties of your burner what do you see?

MyBR Prop.jpg
I did not mean to ignore this. I will attach what I see on the driver's tab of the devices properties.

Also I see those drivers you listed but I cannot find them to download and Asus couldn't or wouldn't direct me to a site where I could.
Driver.jpg
My drives look exactly the same as the one you attached. Do you have any idea how I could install the Pioneer driver you are using for my Asus drive? I am will to try about anything.
Regards,
hlewton