Replacing a Laptop Keyboard

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Replacing a Laptop Keyboard

Post by BobH »

HansV wrote:
30 May 2022, 22:29
There are horror stories of fraudulent delivery drivers placing the package on the recipient's porch, taking a picture, and then picking up the package again and driving off... :flee:
Which is why I pay my Amazon bill with a credit card that affords me recourse for such situations. All I have to do is to file a cardholder dispute within the card company's rules, and I get my money refunded.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
30 May 2022, 22:49
HansV wrote:
There are horror stories of fraudulent delivery drivers placing the package on the recipient's porch, taking a picture, and then picking up the package again and driving off... :flee:
Which is why I pay my Amazon bill with a credit card that affords me recourse for such situations. All I have to do is to file a cardholder dispute within the card company's rules, and I get my money refunded.
Didn't work for my purchase. I had to negotiate with the supplier company located in god-knows-where. :sad: Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
This I can believe, but one of the Good Things about living in a small and isolated town where every one keeps an eye on everyone else, is that the delivery guy is a local who does the seven hour round trip to St John's five or six days a week.
If he tried that hit-and-run trick he would soon be found out.
Cheers, Chris

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

BobH wrote:
30 May 2022, 22:24
I've never had that problem, Chris. I have had packages delivered to the wrong address. Here Amazon deliverers take photos and send them to HQ. If there is no pic, the package didn't get delivered. When I get an email announcing delivery, I get the pic. It might be different in CA; IDK.
... Or you get the email with the picture, arrive back home the next evening and no package on the porch. :sad:

Usually neighbors beside or across the street will notice a package and, knowing we're away, will take it for safe keeping. This time no one noticed any package. Either a porch thief was following the driver or the driver got a few inexpensive items at the possible cost of his job.

Still working to get replacements.

UPDATE: Found opened box with everything ordered still inside in area behind house. Guess it didn't rise to the thief's level of desire. :aflame:

Chris: For heavens sake get a wireless combo mouse+keyboard (this one, for example) using a single USB dongle and come into the current millennium!!!
Last edited by PJ_in_FL on 13 Jun 2022, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PJ_in_FL wrote:
06 Jun 2022, 20:27
Chris: For heavens sake get a wireless combo mouse+keyboard (this one, for example) using a single USB dongle and come into the current millennium!!!
PJ, I welcome and admire your customary concern for my well-being :grin: and especially your integrity in sourcing this reference.
Untitled.png
i checked it out, and its feature-rich etc. is overkill for me, but this model appears to have neither a <break> key nor a <capslock> light. In short, it strikes me as being ideal for 99% of the consumer population, which is probably why Amazon touts it.

I had a machine without <break> key for a few years and reprogrammed many of my regular aps to use a sentinel file whose presence/absence allowed me to simulate a <break> key; I do not want to go back through that exercise after having deprogrammed them two years ago.

Back in the very early 80s, forty years ago, the PCs and XT chassis machines were bought by programmers, even people who messed around with MSDOS, and those folks found a <break> key indispensable. My guess is that 25% of that population did some form of programming involving loops. Today that proportion has dropped from 25% to around 1%, essentially "who needs a <break> key?", and I represent a worthless market. Rather like a car driver who insists on better control of a car by having a manual gear shift.(ahem!)

I confess to being puzzled at the lack of a <capslock> light given the insistence today on passwords being a mixture of upper- and lower-case letters, and online systems apparent ability to log us out while we grab a fresh coffee.
Untitled2.png
I saw the Logitech reference and this appears to have both a <capslock> light and a <break> key and can be delivered as close to my birthday as doesn't matter,.

I share your frustration. After several dead ends (starting with "reprogram my keyboard") I have spent the past week reprogramming my brain, that delightfully plastic engine in my head, with some success. Not as difficult as it might seem; I have been doing that every time I moved house over many years, learning new locations for light switches etc., with some success.

Bottom Line: The minute someone in this topic confirms that the "Logitech MK120 Wired Keyboard and Mouse Combo for Windows" does indeed have <break> and <capslock> keys, I shall whip out my Mastercard quicker'n'blink and get one. If it is as good as it looks, I shall buy a second one to keep in reserve; that should arrive about the second birthday of this Acer Travelmate which, with its <break> key liberated me from misery almost two years ago.

Thanks again PJ for your ever-vigilant concern for my well-being! :grin:
Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

My logitech K800 keyboard has a break key, a caps lock light, and an onscreen caps lock on/off indicator that displays for a second or two when you toggle caps lock. It uses the same wireless dongle as my logitech mouse.
Break key.jpg
Caps lock indicator.jpg
On screen caps lock indicator.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 12:26
My logitech K800 keyboard has a break key, a caps lock light,
Thank you, Stuart.
Arriving: June 22; CAD 36.33
Once the keyboard arrives, I can source a standalone monitor, followed by a bigger writing-desk, knock down a wall or two to accommodate the bigger desk, new heavy-duty driveway to carry the construction trucks, back-hoes and other equipment, ... :evilgrin:
Cheers, Chris

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Then get a second external monitor, an even bigger desk, and so on and so on... :devil:
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 10:41
...this model appears to have neither a <break> key nor a <capslock> light.
Isn't this a <capslock> indicator?
x.jpg
Leif

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Leif wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 13:14
Isn't this a <capslock> indicator?
Thank you, Leif. I think that you are right.
I missed that; my eye was drawn to the bigger symbols - in this case the speaker icon.
That said, I didn't see a <break> key.
Cheers, Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
07 Jun 2022, 12:48
Then get a second external monitor, an even bigger desk, and so on and so on... :devil:
But will the WiFi/Bluetooth/Dongle etc signal reach to my second cottage/ :scratch: :hairout:
Cheers, Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
30 May 2022, 22:24
I've never had that problem, Chris. I have had packages delivered to the wrong address. Here Amazon deliverers take photos and send them to HQ. If there is no pic, the package didn't get delivered. When I get an email announcing delivery, I get the pic. It might be different in CA; IDK.
I can't resist a plug here for good old Canadian Tyre, a sports/hardware chain that AFAIK stretches across Canada.
At 10:42 yesterday I printed(PDF) the email confirmation for the order of a bike pump. By 10:30 this morning I was pressing a $5 note into Matthew's hands. The CT store is in Clarenville and so is "local" to us, and we enjoy a courier service that, by the looks of it, collected the parcel late yesterday afternoon but didn't deliver it yesterday (too late at night when he returned?)

The six gooseberry bushes from Veseys in Prince Edward Island will probably arrive by Friday.

Amazon says that they think the $36-worth of keyboard will arrive June 22, but they haven't yet confirmed that the item is shipped.

True it is that Clarenville is but 90 minutes drive from here, whereas Amazon is a behemoth with the nearest warehouse/shipping centre in the Greater Toronto Area, so size and distance count.

But that is a a reason for me to shop online as close as I can get to home.
Too I realize that a small business - private ownership such as Veseys - is keen to provide quality, personalized service, just to stand out from the behemoths.

Cheers, Chris

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

As we Texans are wont to do, I'll boast a bit. :fanfare:

We have one Amazon fulfillment center in Waco, about 45 miles distant to the North, and another in Austin, about 65 miles distant to the South. On occasion I have ordered items after midnight and had them delivered the same day. :fanfare:

But then, even Texas is densely populated when compared to most of :canada: , especially The Maritimes.

:fanfare: :fanfare: :flee:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

BobH wrote:
08 Jun 2022, 17:43
[...] even Texas is densely populated [...]
It could well be argued that Bonavista is densely populated! :rofl: :flee:
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

^^^ :rofl:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
We have one Amazon fulfillment center in Waco, about 45 miles distant to the North, and another in Austin, about 65 miles distant to the South. On occasion I have ordered items after midnight and had them delivered the same day.
Quite so! The logistics here correspond to mine with the Canadian Tyre store just 70 miles away.
Cheers, Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
08 Jun 2022, 18:59
Let me think about that for a day or two while I stockpile my grass clippings. :scratch:

:rofl: :laugh: Chris

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

John Gray wrote:
08 Jun 2022, 18:59
BobH wrote:
[...] even Texas is densely populated [...]
Bazinga!
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
2022_06_20220617_104659.jpg
Chris (at the Post Office) heard me chatting with Corrine, so he slid the parcel across the counter to me. Cognizant of your cautionary tale, I rushed home (in first gear because the keyboard prevented me reaching the gear levers on my handlebars) and took a photograph of the package myself.
You just can't depend on delivery these days. Logitech said it would arrive on or after the 22nd, but here it is five days early, and no serious rain for the next week, so I will have to stay outside fabricating panels for compost bins if I am ever to get on top of the backlog of ten-bag-per-day delivery of grass clippings.
It's enough to make me want to retire ...
Cheers, Chris

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

The MK120 is not the Logitech keyboard that I recommended, and I don't think it has a caps lock light
StuartR