Import/Export the Styles Gallery?

Jeff H
4StarLounger

Import/Export the Styles Gallery?

Post by Jeff H »

Well, I finally placed the order for my new laptop and it arrived today. So far so good.

I use Word's styles a lot and I like my custom Styles Gallery. But I can't find a way to export or import it. Can that be done?

(I keep a standard-sheet of all my style formats, so it's easy copy all my styles into the new Normal template using the Organizer. But it would be nice to be able to import the Gallery rather than manually set it up again.)

- Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Re: Import/Export the Styles Gallery?

Post by HansV »

Can't you just transfer Normal.dotm?
Best wishes,
Hans

Jeff H
4StarLounger

Post by Jeff H »

Yes I can! I just didn't know it. That's beautiful. This business of getting a new computer has gotten a lot easier than what I remember.

Thanks Hans!

Charles Kenyon
4StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

Try Quick Style Sets to preserve and transfer your styles in the Quick Styles Gallery.
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/st ... _style_set

Jeff H
4StarLounger

Post by Jeff H »

Thanks Charles. I have quickly scanned that section and I can't say I got a clear picture, but I'm intrigued and will definitely try it out to see how it works. I think the advantage over just copying over the Normal.dotm template would be that I could maintain different sets of styles for different purposes. Is that correct, or there another advantage to using this method instead of the Normal.dotm method?

Charles Kenyon
4StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

That is one advantage. You may run into a point where you cannot simply copy the Normal template. In addition, over the past 20+ years on forums like this, there have been way too many times when things happen to Normal templates or it becomes necessary to recreate the template from scratch.

Jeff H
4StarLounger

Post by Jeff H »

This is very cool, Charles! Thanks for sharing. I use to feel this way when I read Shauna Kelly's website :fanfare: . I can see how this will help me a lot.

- Jeff

Charles Kenyon
4StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

You are welcome. Remember that the Quick Style Sets only deal with the styles in the Quick Styles Gallery. This is a minor subset of all the styles in a document or template but usually will include the ones used.

Keep in mind the relationship between styles and Themes. If you use theme fonts and colors in your styles, you can dramatically change the appearance of a document by applying a different Theme.
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/styles.htm#Themes

Jeff H
4StarLounger

Post by Jeff H »

This is great stuff, Charles. In the past I've read some of your posts here in Eileen's Lounge, but I've finally bookmarked your AddBalance site. I want to spend more time combing through your insights. Thanks!

Charles Kenyon
4StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

Glad you are finding it useful.