What happened to Facebook

StuartR
Administrator

What happened to Facebook

Post by StuartR »

Cloudfare posted an interesting explanation of why Facebook was unavailable for a few hours yesterday
https://blog.cloudflare.com/october-202 ... ok-outage/
StuartR

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: What happened to Facebook

Post by John Gray »

That's by far the best account I've seen of the Facebook debacle - thanks, Stuart!
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

A good topic for their blog, with their scale.
(Saw it mentioned at The Register as well, with their usual choice of words. According to them it also caused door keycards to stop working on FB's campus; there are some lessons there I think.)

Saw this one on the net ...
DNSBGPDHCP.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 06:35
Cloudfare posted an interesting explanation of why Facebook was unavailable for a few hours yesterday
https://blog.cloudflare.com/october-202 ... ok-outage/
Great article, thanks Stuart.
Even I could understand it get the gist of it.

I am dreading today with its wave of "The Internet was down!" shrieks from Facebook, Instagram users and junior reporters.

Cheers
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I enjoyed this response to the outage...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

:laugh:
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:
05 Oct 2021, 11:16
I enjoyed this response to the outage...
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I only got the very highest levels of the information - that it had something to do with routing - from that article as to cause. As to effect, I experienced a prolonged period yesterday afternoon (in Texas) where web sites were not responding or responding erratically.

Who knew that even though one doesn't use those platforms that their problems would so affect others?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Possibly just a coincidence, but I experienced from this time errors when visiting some places – refusing to let me go to some web sites saying that it was because my computers time was falsely set, and the false setting made it impossible to check some security certificate.
But all my computers were/ are showing me the correct time, as far as I can tell. :scratch:
( As far as I know, I have never had anything to do with Facebook et al. ( I have never liked any of that social media and short message chit chat stuff - It seems to cause a desease that is spreding - people seem to be losing the ability to read or react to more than the previous last few words. It seems to cause loss in long term concentration and long term memory. It seems to promote short term knee - jerk reactions, and divides the world into small groups all hating eachother. Ist Evil, IMHO ) )

Alan
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Doc.AElstein wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 06:56
( As far as I know, I have never had anything to do with Facebook et al. ( I have never liked any of that social media and short message chit chat stuff - It seems to cause a desease that is spreding - people seem to be losing the ability to read or react to more than the previous last few words. It seems to cause loss in long term concentration and long term memory. It seems to promote short term knee - jerk reactions, and divides the world into small groups all hating eachother. Ist Evil, IMHO ) )
I get a lot of value from Facebook, I have a diverse group of 'friends', who have many different views from marxists to very right wing Americans, but we all get on well by respecting each other and interacting constructively. I have only ever had to block two people.
StuartR