File Explorer Problem

BobH
UraniumLounger

File Explorer Problem

Post by BobH »

Something has happened - translation: I have done something - to cause File Explorer to stop working.

I have the quick start icon in the system tray. Clicking or double clicking it does nothing; however, I can right click it, and a pop-up list of actions is displayed including File Explorer. The problem is that clicking any of the options doesn't work. Clicking the Start button and choosing File Explorer does nothing.

How does one recover?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: File Explorer Problem

Post by stuck »

Have you rebooted?

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Have you tried running it from the start menu? Or by opening a command prompt and typing Explorer?
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Yes, yes, and yes.

I found 2 instances of Windows Explorer - not File Explorer - processes running in Task Manager. I ended those processes with the result being that I lost my system tray and all means of navigating; so I resorted to rebooting. The problem is now resolved. My guess is that there was some corruption in the running processes.

Thanks for the help!!!!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

You keep talking about the System Tray but I think you mean the Task Bar. The Task Bar is the bit between the Start button on the left hand end and bit on the right hand end, where the clock and a few other icons live. Only that bit on the right hand end is the System Tray.

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Ken!

I thought I was referring to it correctly. I learned something today!!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 17:32
How does one recover?
Hi Bob. I am glad to hear that you have recovered.

Since you are now "into" shortcuts I will demonstrate a potential failure of Windows Explorer.

My Windows Explorer shortcut (right-click) Properties reads:-

Code: Select all

C:\Windows\explorer.exe /e,T:\maint\
which assumes of course that the folder T:\maint exists, which presupposes that my encrypted data partition has been unlocked and assigned as drive T:
If drive T: does not exist, then clicking on the shortcut will result in unexpected behaviour from Explorer.

Likewise my MSWord shortcut is

Code: Select all

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c T:\BATLap\WORD2003.BAT
so again, if my drive T: does not exist then the file T:\BATLap\WORD2003.BAT will not exist, and clicking on the shortcut will result in no action taking place.

Cheers
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace