Microsoft One Drive

RonH
SilverLounger

Microsoft One Drive

Post by RonH »

I am not signed in, preferring to use Ext HD's for local copies of my files etc.

Someone has sent me some images to look at but to see them I have to 'sign in' to my One Drive, which I am guessing the sender has somehow linked to theirs via the code that they sent to me on email. If I do, will Microsoft decide to copy my files whatever or do I always maintain control? And I do not want to be 'nagged' to buy the online Office365 ... happy with Office 2010 for the time being.

Any issues I should consider?
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Microsoft One Drive

Post by HansV »

You shouldn't need to sign in to OneDrive. I'd ask the sender to either send the images as attachments, or use a different method such as Box, Dropbox or WeTransfer.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Agreed. Thanks Hans.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Another easy method to send images (if using Google Photos) is to use the Share feature of the Photos app.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

RonH wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 12:24
Someone has sent me some images to look at but to see them I have to 'sign in' to my One Drive…
I am running Windows 10 and do not have One Drive installed. My brother does and sent me a link yesterday to his One Drive with photos. Using his link brought up the browser displaying all the photos and there was a menu item to Sign In. But I didn't need to … I just downloaded the files … no issues (as Hans also indicated that it is not necessary).

Were you actually prevented from viewing or downloading the files?
Regards,
Bob

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Hei Bob

The link I received led me to a sign in so I am sure the sender made a mistake in the set up.
Problem was solved using Google Photos sharing which works really well though I am a bit old-fashioned and find email attachments a simple solution. :clapping:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Sending photos as attachment usually works fine, but videos can easily be too large to send as attachments (most, if not all providers impose a limit on the size of attachments). So sharing a link is the best way to send someone a video.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Good point Hans.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Gentleman, it seems to have been my error regards One Drive. I originally only tried the link sent using my Android WiFi tablet. But following your post today, Bob, I tried the link on my Android phone and Windows 10 pc. In both cases the link directly opened the images posted for me to see.

Haven't yet determined why only the tablet goes to the One Drive sign-in page. I guess that it must be something in my settings ... all three devices are active with the email addresses that I use.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

RonH wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 13:39
Gentleman, it seems to have been my error regards One Drive…
Not necessarily Ron. My experience quoted above was while on my PC. Yesterday and this morning I used the link while on my iPad. I was able to view the photos but when I attempted other available functions like “Rotate” it asked me to sign in. With the download function, it did nothing … no download. The thinking is that perhaps accessing OneDrive on different devices might have glitches that we cannot correct.

And, in being truly open, as a subscriber to MS 365, the full package is on my iPad, including OneDrive. As I write this, I can not recall if I was automatically signed in via my MS account. I will recheck later and report back. (Notwithstanding I was asked to sign in when trying the Rotate function mentioned above)
Regards,
Bob

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Hi Ron, I checked my settings on the iPad for MS 365 and OneDrive and can confirm I am not automatically signed in. If I need to perform any functions (other than viewing or downloading files provided by friends/family links) then I do have to sign in.
Regards,
Bob

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks for the info Bob.
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

This ink will help sending large files. https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/9308878?hl=en
If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have NO luck at all.
Windows 11 Home 23H2 Laptop

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

That's a handy link for Google.
Thanks Ted.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.