BIOS Updates

RonH
SilverLounger

BIOS Updates

Post by RonH »

I have been 'sitting' on a Lenovo BIOS update for some months but should I install :scratch:
There are many articles suggesting 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' and also some that say it is important to update. Our pc's are functioning OK.
The purpose of this specific BIOS is stated to be:
Enhancement to address security vulnerability CVE-2020-10255.
Enhancement to address security vulnerability LEN-48100.

Any thoughts please ... I have no wish to brick the pc but these do appear to be security issues.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: BIOS Updates

Post by stuck »

Make of this what you will..

My work Dell laptop keeps popping up notifications from 'Dell Command Update' telling me there various updates available, NB these are NOT Windows updates, one is a critical BIOS update. I told my IT people about these pop-ups and got zero interest. Consequently I ignore the pop-ups.

Ken

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

:thankyou: My feelings entirely Ken. I cannot imagine the grief I will have should my lady's pc be bricked.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Rightly or wrongly in all the years I've had PCs I think I've only ever updated the BIOS once. It was on an, even then, old Win 98 box, I'd picked up a higher speed Pentium II CPU for not a lot on eBay but to get the mobo to recognise it I had to update the BIOS. I did hold my breath while I did it but it went smoothly enough and I didn't brick the machine.

Fast forward to more recent times (but before working from home was normal) and one of the IT guys at work would quite happily check for and run BIOS updates if he had to visit your desk because a PC was not behaving as expected. No problems / no bricked PCs.

Actually, thinking about it, my Epson photo printer has automatically updated its firmware on more than one occasion. It's not done that for a while now but then my printer, being only a few years old, will be 'obsolete' by now so Epson won't be supporting it any more. That too was always a painless operation. The LCD on the printer would say something like don't turn off the power, display a spinning wheel then it would restart.

Ken

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

I noticed on earlier models eg HP's which I used prior to Lenovo, that BIOS Updates stopped being offered when the pc's aged a few years. Bit like smartphone ... after 2 to 3 years you are on your own (or in supplier speak "time to trash and buy new").
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

20 years ago or so updating the BIOS was routine maintenance. Is there any reason to believe - ie, rumors or news of others' experience - that updating your BIOS will brick the machine? I think a better question is why would you not update the firmware for a security vulnerability? BTW, most newer machines refer to the component as UEFI.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Hei Bob,
I realise that 1000's of Lenovo machines will have been BIOS updated without issues but there is always the unlucky one.
This for example:
https://forums.lenovo.com/topic/view/1092/5063595

Since I have had these machines (not 2 yo) I have installed 3 BIOS updates and figure its time to 'rest easy'. I am guessing that another update will fall shortly and may then take the needed action ... but since my pc is 'ageing' there may not be further BIOS or UEFI as now called. We shall see.

Must say that I do not recall BIOS being commonplace but then I have used home pc's for less than 20 years ... my earlier experiences were rushing down to the local library to send an email. At home we only could get (what was called) Frisurf ... a very s l o w telephone wire connection.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

My :2cents:

I have a Dell desktop and laptop. Both have received multiple BIOS updates without any problem
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

BIOS updates have become much more reliable over the last couple of decades. Just make sure your PC is plugged in, not on battery when you do the update. Like Hans I've updated two Dell laptops with multiple BIOS updates along with other devices over the last 5 years. No problems.
Joe

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks all for advice
Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I regularly update the BIOS on my DELL laptop. I use the DELL Update utility and take its advice on what driver and BIOS updates are needed.
StuartR

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Feeling pressured by so many knowledgeable folk I 'took the bait' and installed (without other than a fast heart rate) the latest Lenovo BIOS. It will be interesting to see if I get any more updates, given that my laptop is now a little over 2 yo.

Oh, on a separate subject, though also to do with 'updates' ... the W10 April update was faithful to my pc but it trashed the printer driver connection on my lady's ... a similar product but without the additional graphics that I use. Reinstalled the printer driver and got it functioning from Office 2010 ... which also had a lot of updates this month. But the TBird email connection to printer remained disconnected which I finally solved after a search for the correct printer and making it the default again.

Enough about pc's and printers ... time to read a book in hard copy :grin:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.