Change a file's attributes

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Change a file's attributes

Post by Ted Myers »

Hello Ken, is it possible to change the date modified from 06/04/2021 to 04/04/2021. If I can't, my TV USB MP3 list will place it in last place instead of alphabetically. Forgot my image last time.
-
TM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Leif on 06 Apr 2021, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To change the subject of the thread to something appropriate.
If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have NO luck at all.
Windows 11 Home 23H2 Laptop

HansV
Administrator

Re: Change a file's attributes

Post by HansV »

For the future: you don't need to delete a thread when you have forgotten to attach images and start a new one. You can edit your own posts (click the pencil button).
Best wishes,
Hans

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

I know about that feature, I just was'nt happy wth how I worded my post. P.S. I nearly forgot my image again.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can edit the text too...
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

See How to Change File Date or Timestamp in Windows for multiple methods to change dates on files.

Also, there is ATTRIBUTE CHANGER which has been around for a long time. It is free.
Joe

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Ted Myers wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 14:52
...is it possible to change the date modified from 06/04/2021 to 04/04/2021...
Yes, as I explained previously, all you need is Attribute Changer. I always though that utility was self-explanatory but I'm not sure if you ever managed to get it installed.

If you did then when you right click on a file in Explorer you will see an option to 'Change Attributes'. Using that option gives you a dialog box the bottom half of which gives you the Created, Modified and Access dates and times. By default these options are greyed out but they become active when you tick the 'Modify date and time stamps' box that's just above them. Set the dates to what ever you want, ensure the 'Simulation mode' box in the bottom left is UNticked then click OK. Job done.

Ken

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

JoeP wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 16:04
See How to Change File Date or Timestamp in Windows for multiple methods to change dates on files.

Also, there is ATTRIBUTE CHANGER which has been around for a long time. It is free.
Hello JoeP, I already have Attribute Changer but following the pdf user guide, I can't get it to do what I need. As for your other link, it looks too complicated and MP3 files are not mentioned.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

The simple explanation supplied by Ken in the last paragraph of the post previous to your last one is how I remember Attribute Changer working. It should be very easy.

When you right click on a file do you see "Change Attributes" in the context menu?
Joe

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I will try one last time to explain how to use Attribute Changer. What follows assumes you have downloaded and installed Attribute Changer, i.e.:
a) that you have download it from here: https://www.petges.lu/download/
b) that you have used Explorer to locate the file that was downloaded, double clicked on the file and stepped through the installation process by
- clicking OK to accept English as the language
- clicking OK to restart your computer now

In Explorer find the file you are interested in and select it in the RIGHT hand pane:
Clipboard01.jpg
NB the black lines in the left hand pane of the above screen shot are because I've redacted a couple of folders
Now RIGHT click on the file, a context menu will appear:
Clipboard02.jpg
Next, (left) click on the option for Attribute Changer, a dialog box will appear:
Clipboard03.jpg
Next, in that dialog tick the box that says 'Modify date and time stamps'.

When you do that the greyed out fields for Created, Modified and Accessed become editable, set them to the date and time you want.

Next, ensure the box in the bottom left corner labelled 'Simulation mode' is UNticked.

Lastly, click OK.

Having done that, the dates and times you set will be applied to the file.

If you still can't get it to work then I'm very sorry but :igiveup:

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

Hello All, I apologise for using this method to reply, it has too many images, but its only 187KB in size
-
Lounge.docx

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

As I said at the end of my previous message, If you still can't get it to work then I'm very sorry but :igiveup:

Having said that, I will add one more thing. Don't just change one timestamp, change them all. Windows is not actually very good at reporting these timestamps. It has a habit of mixing then up so when it's saying Modified it might be telling you Created.

OK, I really am done with this now.

Ken

Percy Vere
2StarLounger

Post by Percy Vere »

I have been interested in the outcome regarding Ted's problem. I tried the info from stuck and its all wrong. The only way to change a music file is to move or copy it from an hdd to a flashdrive or vice versus, it might take longer but at least it works.
Regards
Percy
Windows 10 Home 21H2

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge, but... Ken (stuck) is a very experienced user of Attribute Changer and a longtime member of our forum...
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

AND attribute changer is a simple and effective tool
StuartR