System restore points in Windows 10

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

System restore points in Windows 10

Post by hlewton »

Is there any way to configure Windows 10 System protection to create more restore points automatically? I seems it goes weeks and has not created any of them. It didn't create one when I just installed a rather larger program and I sure could have used it. I neglected to do it manually so I was wondering if there is an automatic option. Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: System restore points in Windows 10

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you. Not sure how you found that since I used very similar search criteria and came up empty. Any idea why if using the Registry to enable the automatic system restore the key is named DisableRestorePoint? Just curious.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The point is that the value of DisableRestorePoint is set to 0.
If you set it to 1, you will actually disable creation of restore points.
Apart from that: who knows how Microsoft chooses their naming conventions... :shrug:
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK, thanks again.
Regards,
hlewton

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Hans,
Disregard below ... since I only use Windows 10 Home I do not feel confident enough to modify the registry.

This appears to be worth setting ... I have had a few occasions to 'restore' and had forgotten to create a recent point. Which of the two specified options would you recommend?
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The registry edit is only a last-resort option anyway; it should be possible to activate creation of restore points in the interface.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 10:48
The registry edit is only a last-resort option anyway; it should be possible to activate creation of restore points in the interface.
I found it very easy to make the change using the Local Group Policy Editor. I hope it works and will see as soon as Windows Defender makes it next scan. For those with Windows 10 Home edition you can install the Group Policy Editor following the instructions here:https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page ... ition.html
The only thing that took me a moment was following the path in step #3 and looking for "Windows Defender." It was not there but "Microsoft Defender Antivirus" was. So I tried it and from there on all the rest of the images matched.
Regards,
hlewton

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks for assistance
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK I guess I may need a little more advice. I am going to attach 2 screenshots showing, what I believe is, the correct settings. Two things to note are that, as mentioned above, there is no Windows Defender Antivirus to open as you're drilling down to where the instructions want you to be. I used Microsoft Defender Antivirus and followed the instructions from there. The sencon thing to note is that once you click on the Scan it opens a window in the right pane that has two tabs and I believe you need to be on the Standard tab even though it opens to the Extended tab. As you can see in the second screenshot I created a restore point. My understanding is it should create a restore point prior to a daily malware scan. Not knowing if that meant Microsoft Defender Antivirus' scan or my Malwarebytes daily scan, I waited until both had completed. Even after creating the restore point using Group Editor there was no restore point created.

I hate to use the registry hack so asking for any ideas why what I did did not work of if you see an obvious mistake I may had made in trying to create these restore points.
GroupPolicy.jpg
Systemrestore.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK this gets even stranger. I just checked to see if I had to use the registry hack if the Windows Defender key, the one that needs editing, was there. It was not only there but it already had the hack installed. Please see attachment.

So now I am really confused as to why my daily restore points were not being created all along. How can I fix this now to make them create on a daily basis.
Registry.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Maybe these daily settings only function on the W10 Pro? I think the article would have specified a possible hack if it were possible on Window 10 Home rather than just settings in the registry.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

RonH wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 17:41
Maybe these daily settings only function on the W10 Pro? I think the article would have specified a possible hack if it were possible on Window 10 Home rather than just settings in the registry.
This is on my Windows 10 Pro machine running ver 20H2.
Regards,
hlewton

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Oops, missed that. :sad:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

In the original implementation of restore points in XP there was more user control over restore point creation. In some past version of Windows, perhaps Vista or 7, the frequency of automatic time-based restore point creation was changed to weekly. That only happens if a restore point was not created within a week of the last automatic one. Normally, when a Windows patch is installed a restore point is created. Also, when a program that updates monitored file types and locations is installed a restore point is created.

If you search for restore point information now most results talk about manually creating restore points or scheduling restore point creation.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 22:22
In the original implementation of restore points in XP there was more user control over restore point creation. In some past version of Windows, perhaps Vista or 7, the frequency of automatic time-based restore point creation was changed to weekly. That only happens if a restore point was not created within a week of the last automatic one. Normally, when a Windows patch is installed a restore point is created. Also, when a program that updates monitored file types and locations is installed a restore point is created.

If you search for restore point information now most results talk about manually creating restore points or scheduling restore point creation.
Thank you Joe. If I am understanding you correctly no matter how I have the options set I will not get any automatic restore points created unless the circumstances meet what you described. The previous restore point I had was created 9 days ago when I uninstalled Gforce Experience. In the meantime I installed Nero 21 Platinum and because Nero had their links totally messed up I ended up with a subscription version which I have never wanted. A more recent restore point would have been of great help. I am just going to have to remember to manually create restore point at every turn.

However, since the most resent restore point I have is over 9 days old, even a weekly restore point was not created. That seems a shame MS would do this.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

You should have gotten an automatic restore point created if the last one is over 9 days old. I think Microsoft has neglected the restore point technology to the point the automatic creation is now unreliable.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
22 Mar 2021, 20:24
You should have gotten an automatic restore point created if the last one is over 9 days old. I think Microsoft has neglected the restore point technology to the point the automatic creation is now unreliable.
I have no automatic restore points at all even though I have now asked Windows 10 to make them. The last restore point I had was 2 weeks before I needed a current one. I didn't want to use that one because I had purchased, whatever it is called, that will open iPhone videos sent to me in a message. Also, with the warning about not installing March's Windows updates I didn't want to take a chance on them by-passing my pause option and installing them.
Regards,
hlewton