Windows 10 version 20H2 has been released

HansV
Administrator

Windows 10 version 20H2 has been released

Post by HansV »

The latest version of Windows 10 is available, but Microsoft will roll it out gradually over the coming weeks/months. Unless you're in a hurry, just wait.

If you really want to try it out, Select Start > Settings > Update & Security and click Check for Updates. Or download and run the Windows 10 Update Assistant.

Installation took about 75 minutes on my PC. I could continue using it for most of that time.

Like version 1909, this is a relatively minor update. For example, it doesn't clear your update history the way version 2004 did.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Windows 10 version 20H2 has been released

Post by JoeP »

If you use Windows update and don't get 20H2 offered then your hardware configuration most likely has an installation block associated. You might be better off waiting than using the Upgrade Assistant.
Joe

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

For most users I recommend just waiting until the update is offered.
But the Update Assistant checks your hardware and disk space first. I assume that it'll inform you if your machine doesn't meet the requirements.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I was not sure that it had the same blocking rules as WU.

I agree that for most people that just waiting is the best course.
Joe

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

HansV wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 21:36
The latest version of Windows 10 is available, but Microsoft will roll it out gradually over the coming weeks/months.
[...]
It's running in a VM since Tuesday (and will be on a PC soon).

Among the end-user changes:
Theme-aware tiles in Start – The redesigned Start menu has a more streamlined design that removes the solid color backplates behind the logos in the apps list, and applies a uniform, partially transparent background to the tiles. This design creates a beautiful stage for your icons, especially the Fluent Design icons for Office and Microsoft Edge, as well as the redesigned icons for built-in apps like Calculator, Mail, and Calendar.
Oh.
And how would it be if Microsoft did the same with the so called Apps & features app; the one that's replaced the classic application from the old Control Panel where you uninstall *software* etc. The one that is now full from start with things only known to the Redmond corp; 3D this etc. Maybe they would have to change their minimalistic icons then, to not blend with the background.
:rantoff:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

I installed it in under 15 minutes. Only change I have found is right clicking 'Computer' icon.
If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have NO luck at all.
Windows 11 Home 23H2 Laptop

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Under 15 minutes? That is extremely fast!
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

UPDATED BELOW POST
After viewing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njxrVFS3RwU I conclude that I have installed the version 20H2. I guess that some will love the few gismos ...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you think 15 mins is fast, I reckon mine all up was less than 10 and we use a slow broadband download of only 6Mbps.

As with Ted, I see no difference in the version. On clicking the version update in settings, there was a small download followed by the usual restart etc. After the restart there was the usual notice about 'Lets get started' such as saving on the cloud etc. none of which want so I clicked on the 'remind me in 3 days' because I could not see any alternative.

So ... though the system states I now have 20H2 do I really :scratch:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

CraigS26
2StarLounger

Post by CraigS26 »

Should I decide to (very soon) pursue May 2004 or 20H2... is my Update Page's declaration - "The Windows 10 May 2020 Update is on its way. Once it’s ready for your device, you’ll see the update available on this page." --- STILL subject to yet-to-come MS mods for my machine to accept either Ver Upgrade --- OR could (Feature Update 365 Deferral) setup be the reason I see this now?

Both HP Sppt + Intel "Asst Apps" says my Desktop has no Software to Update (ie) drivers, BIOS, etc.

Posts here match my experience that Ver Upgrades do NOT produce issues for my simple Ethernet desktop, so I'm thinking of using a 2004 ISO (ver 10.0.19041(450) I recently dnloaded via MS Media Creation Tool / Clk setup.exe from the external WD drive it's on, I think is the route.
Any Better method is welcomed.

EDIT: Another Forum post offered another Strategy via Group Pol Edit and making TargetReleaseVersion in Business WU = 2004.
I'll set that up later today, and see what happens.
Win 10 Pro 22H2 | ESET EIS Prem | Mbam Prem | Diskeeper Pro '15 | Macrium Pd v8

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

HansV wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 00:51
Under 15 minutes? That is extremely fast!
Strange world! The lady who I helped with the 2004 update - her computer took 11 hours to complete it and she lost her search option in process - has just phoned me and said her 20H2 update took just 20 minutes, and it has restored her search option!!! :scratch:
Regards,
Keith

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

This evening I decided to upgrade to Win 10 version 20H2 after it was offered through Windows Update a week or so ago. The process took all of 10 minutes to execute, including a restart. To me that is suspiciously brief. WINVER however shows:

winver.jpg

Have I succeeded in applying this update?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Yes, I'm sure you have it. The installation is fast, much like a monthly update. Both of my PC's installed in under 10 mins.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The PC I had in October took quite a long time. I got a new one last week; it came with Windows 10 version 2004 pre-installed. Updating to version 20H2 took only a couple of minutes...
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Thank you for the confirmation!
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

The reason it's so fast, as explained in https://www.techrepublic.com/article/wi ... customers/, is that the 20H2 features were already present in version 2004 but disabled:
Microsoft has promised a "remarkably fast update" from version 2004 to version 2009, delivered via an enablement package that allows customers to update their system with a single restart. Microsoft likened the update package to a "master switch" for activating the new Windows 10 20H2 features.

This is the same delivery mechanism Microsoft used to update devices from Windows 10 version 1903 to version 1909. Similarly, as with versions 1903 and 1909, versions 2004 and 2009 share a common core operating system with an identical set of system files, meaning future updates released for Windows 10 2004 will be automatically compatible with machines on Windows 10 20H2.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

On October 30, 2020 I used the Media Tool to download the ISO file and used it to update Win10 Pro 2004 to 20H2. I started the update process at 12:10 and by 13:29, 79 minutes later, and after 5 restarts the system was running 20H2.

I was not too happy with the results as the update changed the defaults for accessing PDF files (from Foxit to Edge) and the browser Chrome to Edge. In addition, my NAS was no longer accessible in File Explorer. There were also problems accessing the HP printer (Ethernet connection) which I was able to resolve by resetting the IP address. Attempting to scan a document was lost. At that stage I gave up and restored the system drive with a Pre-Install image backup. I then went back to normal activities and changed the Settings to delay any future updates. Problems encountered with the 20H2 update disappeared.

A few days later the problems with the NAS and HP printer reappeared. Research pointed the issues to Malwarebytes and NOT the 20H2 upgrade. I worked with tech support at Malwarebytes and was eventually able the resolve the issues. I did decide to leave the Settings as-is regarding the delayed updates.

Today. November 29th, was a slack day so I created an image of the System drive, reset the Settings and this time elected to use the Check For Updates feature to go hunting for the 20H2 feature upgrade. After creating the pre-install image, I started the Check for Updates Feature at 11:54 and by 12:03. 9 minutes, and ONE restart later, I was operational with 20H2.

No issues with the NAS or HP Printer. The difference to the process was that I used the Check for Updates in Settings vs using the Media Tool. And for "giggles" I turned off Malwarebytes and ESET Internet Security.

All is well in the world! :thumbup:
Regards,
Bob

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

So no wires cut? :grin:
https://xkcd.com/1994/
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Argus wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 19:42
So no wires cut? :grin:
https://xkcd.com/1994/
Sounds about right :hairout:
Regards,
Bob

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:
So no wires cut? :grin:https://xkcd.com/1994/
I have just discovered the end-joke captions that can be viewed by hovering the mouse over parts of the panel.
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 12:55
Argus wrote:
So no wires cut? :grin:https://xkcd.com/1994/
I have just discovered the end-joke captions that can be viewed by hovering the mouse over parts of the panel.
Chris
Now you'll have to spend days going back over all the ones you missed...
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube