Executing Startup Delay

jmt356
SilverLounger

Executing Startup Delay

Post by jmt356 »

I have a laptop that states "Executing Startup Delay" when I start it up. According to https://www.onmsft.com/how-to/how-to-re ... r-computer, removing Startup Delay will speed up booting up the laptop. This makes little since, since Startup Delay delays starting up certain apps that load at startup to let the desktop and Windows services finish loading. Shouldn't Startup Delay speed up startup, since it allows Windows to use all of the resources to startup rather than allow other startup programs to use some or all of the resources?
Regards,

JMT

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Re: Executing Startup Delay

Post by Jay Freedman »

When your boot drive is an SSD, all of Windows will load in 2 to 3 seconds. Letting apps twiddle their thumbs for another 7 or 8 seconds without doing anything isn't going to speed up the process, in fact it's the opposite.

If you don't feel like messing with the registry editor, the article https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/696 ... -10-a.html links to .reg files that will do it for you, including one to return the system to the default if you don't like the result.

Something most of these articles don't mention is that the setting isn't all-or-nothing. The value in the registry is the number of milliseconds of delay. For instance, if you want a 5-second delay, enter the decimal value 5000.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Jay Freedman:
Are you saying that disabling Startup Delay will speed up the startup process? It seems articles online are stating that Startup Delay speeds up startup by delaying the startup of programs that otherwise would slow down startup.
I would rather avoid the registry editor. Isn't there a way to turn off Startup Delay in BIOS, or at least reduce the number of seconds of the delay?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It is a Windows setting, not a BIOS setting.
You don't have to edit the registry yourself. Downloading, then double-clicking a .reg file from the page Jay Freedman linked to will do all the work for you.
You can try out disabling the startup delay. If you don't like the outcome, you can restore the original setting by downloading and double-clicking another .reg file (as mentioned by Jay).
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I just saw there is an option to change the Startup Delay in BIOS computer settings that came preloaded on the HP laptop and are that accessible by pressing Esc during startup. The setting is in Boot Options | Advanced | Startup Menu Delay.

[I believe Startup Menu Delay is the same as Startup Delay.] My setting was set to 5 seconds. I changed it to 0.
Regards,

JMT

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

I might be wrong, but is the BIOS setting not to do with the period during which you can hit DEL (or whatever) to enter BIOS or choose a boot drive, rather than anything to do with Windows. If this is the case (and I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong), then I would leave the delay alone, to allow for troubleshooting stuff.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

jonwallace wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 17:10
I might be wrong, but is the BIOS setting not to do with the period during which you can hit DEL (or whatever) to enter BIOS or choose a boot drive, rather than anything to do with Windows. If this is the case (and I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong), then I would leave the delay alone, to allow for troubleshooting stuff.
This was what I understood too.
StuartR

CraigS26
2StarLounger

Post by CraigS26 »

My Startup Screen shows Win 10, Macrium Reflect, and a 3rd link: Change Defaults or Choose Other Options.
I have a 15-second (amateur's delay) set per: Control Panel/System & Security/System/Advanced Sys Settings/Startup & Recovery (Settings).
I clk W10 immediately but the delay is for choices I'd be crazy not to have.

Is MY Setting there part of this issue? Look at that path and I'm wondering what you'll see.
Win 10 Pro 22H2 | ESET EIS Prem | Mbam Prem | Diskeeper Pro '15 | Macrium Pd v8

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

jonwallace wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 17:10
Why would I want a delay before I could press Esc so that I could enter BIOS?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As JonWallace wrote, it's not a delay BEFORE you can press Esc, but a delay DURING WHICH you can press Esc to enter the BIOS.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

HansV wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 00:06
As JonWallace wrote, it's not a delay BEFORE you can press Esc, but a delay DURING WHICH you can press Esc to enter the BIOS.
If it is a delay during which I need to press esc to enter BIOS, then wouldn't it mean that I would not be able to press esc to enter BIOS if I set the startup delay to 0?

However, I set the startup delay to 0 and can enter BIOS if I continually press esc when booting up.
Regards,

JMT

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Under your scenario of a 0 delay, you could never get into the BIOS. I'm sure that the PC makers never intended that to happen. There will always be a way to access the BIOS. That is what you are observing.
Joe

Laira
NewLounger

Post by Laira »

Cool