Thunderbird - spam, junk, filters

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Thunderbird - spam, junk, filters

Post by ChrisGreaves »

TB 78.0.3 32-bit on Win10-2004

I am back to using Thunderbird (I see a new release is out)

I have played with the "Junk settings" over the past month or two and find that TBird is occasionally sending to the Spam folder emails from regular (daily) and trusted clients.

I'd love to obtain a set of settings from someone who feels that they have successfully navigated Junk Settings.

Two days ago I unchecked "Enable Active Controls". I have previously enabled SpamAssasin". FWIW I have been tagging individual messages as "Junk" and "Not Junk" as I go, which I supposed fine-tuned my Junk Settings. That does not seem to be effective.

Given a choice I'd rather see Junk in my Inbox and delete/move it manually than wonder why an Insurance Agent hasn't replied to my email (because it went to Spam folder) or have a friend ask me why I didn't respond to their email.

I have attached two PrtScr images. Junk001.png is from the cprGreaves@GMail.com "Junk Settings" panel, and Junk002.png is from the Local Folders "Junk Settings" panel.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 28 Nov 2020, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Thunderbird - spam, junk, filters

Post by BobH »

I haven't tried Junk settings. When I get mail repetitively I set up a filter. The filter usually selects on the From field value. I then have the filter mark it as Read and move it to a folder previously set up if I want to read them, or I have the filter just delete them. If it is only a random, 1-time email, I just delete it.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 18:54
I haven't tried Junk settings. When I get mail repetitively I set up a filter. The filter usually selects on the From field value. I then have the filter mark it as Read and move it to a folder previously set up if I want to read them, or I have the filter just delete them. If it is only a random, 1-time email, I just delete it.
Thanks Bob.
Perhaps my reliance on Thunderbird to "filter automatically" is not such a good choice.
I have set up a single filter which looks for one email address (attached).

Have you set up a collection of filters for each spam email, or do you just shovel more email addresses into the one filter?
I would imagine that you end up getting spam of the same content as a spammer moves around using different email addresses.

I am considering filtering (and move to Trash) any emails that contain "Fwd" in the subject line, as they are almost always from well-meaning friends with yet-another-cute-kitten video to amuse my mind.

Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 28 Nov 2020, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

For each email address, I set up one message filter. In that filter I add each source of messages I don't want into that single filter for that email address. Each identified message is then treated according to what I want to do with it. For example, I move all email from Eileen's Lounge into a folder without marking it as read. Others that I don't intend to read immediately but want to keep stored locally, I mark as read and move them to a specific folder or just mark them read.

The filter is set to run on receiving messages and before analyzing for Junk status, and every 10 minutes. I set the option to 'Match any of the following'.

In the main Thunderbird panel under View I use Unread so that I don't see mail I've already dealt with. Of course, I change this when searching for mail. This applies to all my mailboxes - I think I have 9 at present.

Hope this helps.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Chris, first of all set all your contacts as in image T1 (I use Gmail)
Export your contacts as image T2
In T'Bird set both junk options as image T3
Image T4 is how I changed my Address book after importing my contacts.
I use POP3 for my T'Bird and set Gmail to archive mail accessed by POP. I can delete anything in TB knowing its safely in Gmail Folders.
-
A.png
-
B.png
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Roderunner wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 14:34
Hi Chris, first of all set all your contacts as in image T1 (I use Gmail) ...
Thanks George (also for the B image!!!).
I will give this a try and see what happens.

I understand the Thunderbird end to be "Always allow anyone in my contacts list".
And then "Use adaptive junk mail controls" to mean that only if ***I*** click on the "Junk" button will Thunderbird start to think about doing something with it.

" ... use POP3 for my T'Bird and set Gmail to archive mail accessed by POP." means I have to delve into my Gmail settings, correct?

Thanks again.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Roderunner wrote:
19 Nov 2020, 14:34
... I use POP3 for my T'Bird and set Gmail to archive mail accessed by POP. I can delete anything in TB knowing its safely in Gmail Folders.
GmailPOP.png
... and now with trembling fingers full of fear, I have made one change to my Gmail account.
@Hans: Thanks Hans.
Cheers
Chris

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Chris, this is an update of my image T3
-
RR.PNG
-
You will get this in some emails
-
RR1.PNG
I don't use Barclays so there is no need to remove it
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Roderunner wrote:
21 Nov 2020, 11:33
Hi Chris, this is an update of my image T3
Thanks George; mine looks like yours.
This morning I deleted the contents of my "spam" folder; I will monitor it daily for a while to see what accumulates in there.
Chris

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

AFAIK I don't have a junk folder in TB as Google filters my mail by putting it into 'Spam' This is my TB setting.
-
RR.PNG
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

A week has passed.
I have checked my SPAM folder each morning and found, typically, four or five emails, all of which can be deleted. (Who, in their right mind, would accept a $2,500,000 mansion in Oakville with its attendant maintenance costs?)

I know that I cannot let down my guard in inspecting the SPAM folder, but will probably drop to twice a week. After all, if I am expecting an email reply from the insurance company, I will have my eyes peeled.

Thanks y'all for your help.
:thankyou:
Chris

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Well, I would start by not posting my email address.
If you will look, your email address is in the upper left corner of your TB email setting screen shots.
You may want to edit and repost them?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DaveA wrote:
28 Nov 2020, 15:58
You may want to edit and repost them?
Thank you, Dave. I have edited and re-uploaded three images. In one of them I left a spammer's email address un-blocked - we can but hope!

I was not too worried about an email address in an image, as distinct from an email address in text format.
Do you think spammers are eyeballing images as a means of collecting emails?
Cheers
Chris

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

O'h YES, any thing to make a buck or two!
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living