Can’t See Network Computers In Windows File Explorer

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Can’t See Network Computers In Windows File Explorer

Post by hlewton »

I waited until Woody’s newsletter said it was safe to update Windows version 1909 with the September updates. Since updating, I have not been able to see the computers on my network in Windows File Explorer when clicking the Network option. I always have been able before to see them. I do have a program that allows me to send files to all these computers, so I know permissions are set properly. I can also get to them using a shortcut like \\OWNER-PC and access all the folders and files on any computer I make a path to. Any ideas why I can no longer see the computers on my network in Windows File Explorer? By the way, this is the case on all 5 of my computers, so something seems to have made a change somewhere.

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Can’t See Network Computers In Windows File Explorer

Post by StuartR »

Try following these steps
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
17 Oct 2020, 22:08
Try following these steps
Thanks. I tried all that I understood from the above link. All my permissions and shares are set as they should be, as far as I can see.

I decided to bite the bullet and so I installed Windows 10 ver. 2004 on all my machines. All went smoothly and I did have to turn of "Password protected sharing" on all machines. Still I have the same problem in that Windows File explorer does not see the other computers on my network.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Please check that the following services are set to start automatically on every computer in your network.
  • Function Discovery Provider Host
  • Function Discovery Resource Publication
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 13:43
Please check that the following services are set to start automatically on every computer in your network.
  • Function Discovery Provider Host
  • Function Discovery Resource Publication
They were set to Automatic on every machine. Sometime back I had to create a BAT file to first stop Function Discovery Resource Publication and then to restart it. So I ran that BAT file on the other machines in my network and they became visible in Windows File Explorer that was open at the time. I closed that incident of Windows File explorer and opened another and now my other computers are once again not showing up. I checked the services to make sure they were still running and they are. Do you know of a cure for this problem?

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

hlewton wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 14:49
Do you know of a cure for this problem?
Sorry, I have no idea. But at least we are a bit closer to understanding the problem.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 21:46
hlewton wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 14:49
Do you know of a cure for this problem?
Sorry, I have no idea. But at least we are a bit closer to understanding the problem.
Yep, thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

This article suggests setting the following services to start automatically as well...
  • SSDP Discovery
  • UPnP Device Host
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 07:10
This article suggests setting the following services to start automatically as well...
  • SSDP Discovery
  • UPnP Device Host
Thank you. I will check this out and let you know if it works.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 07:10
  • SSDP Discovery
  • UPnP Device Host
Unfortunately they were already set that way except on one machine. But on that one machine the services were running and set to Manual. I changed it to Automatic but it didn't make my other computer show up in Windows File Explorer on any of them.

Thanks again.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

While looking around for you, I have noticed that I have exactly the same problem on my home network. It didn't used to be like this.

It doesn't affect me because I map all my network drives using a BAT file whenever I log in. But even though I have mapped drives to another PC, I still can't see that PC under Network in Windows Explorer.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 13:49
While looking around for you, I have noticed that I have exactly the same problem on my home network. It didn't used to be like this.

It doesn't affect me because I map all my network drives using a BAT file whenever I log in. But even though I have mapped drives to another PC, I still can't see that PC under Network in Windows Explorer.
In my opinion MS did something in there updates. I have a pretty good idea that it was the September updates. That is why I installed Windows ver. 2004 on all my computers hoping it would cure the problem but it didn't. I have looked around a lot for cures and found none. Hopefully you will have more luck than I did. Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

You said you checked the startup condition for the various services. Sometimes an automatically started service can shut down or maybe even crash. Were all the required services running?
Joe

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

They were in my case Joe - on all three computers on this network.
Only one of the three offers file shares, none of them could see any of the others.
All three computers can see my printer and my router under Network, but no other computers.
I have no difficulty mapping network drives, which is done by a BAT file whenever I log in.
StuartR

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

@StuartR

Are all your PCs running the same OS?
Have you tried temporarily disabling the firewalls?
Have you disabled password protected sharing at Control Panel | Network and Internet | Network and Sharing Center | Change advanced sharing settings | All networks?
Joe

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I also saw this as part of the solution - change the Startup type of the Function Discovery Resource Publication service to Automatic Delayed Start.

Also, see methods 4 & 5 at Windows 10 Network Computers Not Showing in Explorer. (Solved)
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 14:19
You said you checked the startup condition for the various services. Sometimes an automatically started service can shut down or maybe even crash. Were all the required services running?
Yes they were. I found out today that at least one of them was supposed to be set to Automatic Delayed Start. I had the fellow who builds my computers here today. He searched the entire NET for solutions, tried many of them, and nothing worked. He went home shaking his head and said he was going to have to research it a lot further. Hopefully he finds something that works. The strangest thing and I have mentioned it before, if I run a bat file that first stops and then restarts the Function Discovery Resource Publication it forces the incident of Windows File Explorer to see these other computers. But once that incident of Windows File Explorer is closed, it is right back to the original problem. Seem with all his searching of the NET today many people are having similar problems. The solutions offered are either things I have already ready or something that doesn't help at all.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 15:11
@StuartR

Are all your PCs running the same OS?
Have you tried temporarily disabling the firewalls?
Have you disabled password protected sharing at Control Panel | Network and Internet | Network and Sharing Center | Change advanced sharing settings | All networks?
The only thing I have not tried is turning off the Firewall. So I just tried it and it still acts the same for me.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 15:18
I also saw this as part of the solution - change the Startup type of the Function Discovery Resource Publication service to Automatic Delayed Start.

Also, see methods 4 & 5 at Windows 10 Network Computers Not Showing in Explorer. (Solved)
That is what I made mention of above it it didn't help either. I know the fellow who was here did something with the SBM in your link mentioned but I am sending him your link to further study to make sure this is what we tried but I do believe it is.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

All my computers run Windows 10 Home Version 2004
I will not enable SMB 1.0 because that is a very risky protocol which allows Wannacry and other viruses free access to the PC.
I have tried all the other suggestions in those links.
StuartR