Search Index rebuilt after each Windows 10 update

jmt356
SilverLounger

Re: Search Index rebuilt after each Windows 10 update

Post by jmt356 »

Hans: What does pausing updates for 7 days do? Does it just prevent my computer from restarting after updates are downloading or does it prevent them from downloading to begin with?

StuartR: The main disruption for me is not restarting my computer per se, but having to rebuild my index each time. It normally takes days to rebuild.

Ken: I never click "check for updates." I would like to avoid as much as possible downloading or installing updates, which create a major disruption.
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Update:

After having just installed two Windows updates yesterday, Windows Update has now downloaded yet another update. Windows Update states that 2020-09 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 2004 for x64 (KB4576945) is pending Restart.

That is a total of 5 Updates that were downloaded requiring restart, over the past 15 days:
- 20 Sept.
- 29 Sept.
- 4 Oct. (first update)
- 4 Oct. (second update)
- 5 Oct.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

jmt356 wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 23:28
Hans: What does pausing updates for 7 days do? Does it just prevent my computer from restarting after updates are downloading or does it prevent them from downloading to begin with?
The latter - updates aren't downloaded, nor installed during the pause.
Best wishes,
Hans

CraigS26
2StarLounger

Post by CraigS26 »

https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/2 ... st-2286499

Above is Not a quick Fix BUT, when you're willing to turn your brain to mush before it becomes educated, read the above extensive Primer on W10 Update Settings and "control".
The 1909 Pro section will help understand some of your Now (involuntary) 2004 Pro WU setup (changes made from 1909) in Section 5.
I'm surviving with an IT expertise rating that has a (-) B4 the #, but it takes repeated reading of it and Posts about it to finally absorb this stuff.
Should you try the Group Policy Editor ( RUN: gpedit.msc) the Windows Update section in the Primer is via Computer Config group/Admin Templates/ Windows Components -- AND the Win Updates for Business is a drop-dn arrow choice of the Win Updates member.

Good luck.
Win 10 Pro 22H2 | ESET EIS Prem | Mbam Prem | Diskeeper Pro '15 | Macrium Pd v8

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

:eyeout: Really? Such complexity was not my experience. When I took delivery of my Win 10 Pro PC a few years ago now (think it was 1709) one of the first things I did was use the Group Policy Editor to defer updates. It took only a few clicks and a few minutes so set a deferral to hold back updates until the end of month rather than the instant MS releases them. Having done that, I've never touched the 'check for updates' button and here I am now on 1909 and it's been pain free updating all the way.

Please note, setting a deferral using the GPE works for ME / MY PC USEAGE but wouldn't be sensible if my home PC was the life blood of my err... life, and business. You must make your own risk assessment about the wisdom, or otherwise, of deferring updates.

Ken

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If you have a preview update pending a restart you probably told Windows to install it. Preview updates are optional and not installed automatically. If you avoid the "Check for updates" button you should see update much less update activity.

Many people, including Microsoft, call pressing the "Check for updates" button seeking updates. Seekers by-pass the usual timing and get whatever is currently available for their PC.
Joe