Windows 10 Ver. 2004 Update

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: Windows 10 Ver. 2004 Update

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 20:54
It looks like the "major" update in the second half of 2020 will actually be a rather small one, like the one in the second half of 2019 (version 1909). It will not completely replace the Windows folder; instead it will act as a larger than usual cumulative update.
If this continues, we'll have only one real "major" update per year.
Hans does this mean we could by-pass version 2004 and only install this next version you mention?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The not-so-major update for the second half of 2020 is based on version 2004 (the major update for the first half of 2020), so installing it would include 2004.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 11:37
The not-so-major update for the second half of 2020 is based on version 2004 (the major update for the first half of 2020), so installing it would include 2004.
Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

hlewton wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 11:26
I have a couple older printers that I don't want to lose the use of and not sure any drivers could be found if the ones I have not would no longer function.
Have you looked for any of these drivers? :scratch:
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Rebel wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 16:14
hlewton wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 11:26
I have a couple older printers that I don't want to lose the use of and not sure any drivers could be found if the ones I have not would no longer function.
Have you looked for any of these drivers? :scratch:
Because I am not all that versed at installing drivers, the fellow who builds my computer does this kind of stuff for me. I know he has searched many times for drivers for my 15 year old Ricoh. So far he has been able to get their latest driver, which was designed for Windows 7, working for me. I also have a Brother, probably at least 8 years old, and and I suppose that driver could be found.
Regards,
hlewton

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

My installation took over 5 hours, John's took in excess of 7 hours! I've just got off the phone with a lady friend who I've been assisting with her installation of 2004. It went okay, but took her (or rather took her old laptop computer) 11 hours from start to finish (in light of my recent experience I had asked her to keep a note of the timing)! I hope this sort of timescale isn't going to become the norm for those of us with older equipment.
Regards,
Keith

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Is most of the delay in download speed or is it in the installation process?
Regards,
hlewton

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Installation. Download for me was around 50 mins and less for friend who has fast connection
Regards,
Keith

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

aekyall wrote:
17 Aug 2020, 17:52
Installation. Download for me was around 50 mins and less for friend who has fast connection
Thanks. I was curious because I have a pretty fast download speed.
Regards,
hlewton

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Not sure if I should start a new thread or not - please move if necessary.

The lady I helped update to 2004, whose computer took 11 hours to complete the process, has hit an unusual problem - or she did when I was helping her with something - I asked her to click on the search box and type something in. Unfortunately, she cannot access search; nothing comes up when she clicks on the magnifying glass (or on the full search box when she changes to that) and she is unable to enter any text - it just doesn't work/isn't there! I've tried guiding her through the troubleshooter options, under 'additional troubleshooters', but all she seems to get to is a suggestion that she tries running it as an administrator - I can't find a way to get her to accomplish that.
Seems likely that somehow, in the process of installing 2004, the search facility either didn't get installed or has been installed corruptly. Any ideas please on what I could do get her to try to resolve this issue? :scratch: As far as I can tell, apart from 'search', everything else seems to be functioning as it should.
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Have you tried the other steps in Fix problems in Windows Search?
Best wishes,
Hans

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Thanks Hans: Already tried to get her through the "Run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter", that didn't seem to get her anywhere other than suggestion to try running as administrator. Will get her to try the Restart Search option but, as to the Reset Search option, well - I really don't think I could get her through that process, she really doesn't comprehend much about computer functioning (neither do I for that matter!!). Getting her to work through powershell is probably going to be a multiple number of steps too far for her! Anyway, I'll see how we get on. Appreciate the pointers.
Regards,
Keith

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

aekyall wrote:
19 Aug 2020, 16:12
Thanks Hans: Already tried to get her through the "Run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter", that didn't seem to get her anywhere other than suggestion to try running as administrator. Will get her to try the Restart Search option but, as to the Reset Search option, well - I really don't think I could get her through that process, she really doesn't comprehend much about computer functioning (neither do I for that matter!!). Getting her to work through powershell is probably going to be a multiple number of steps too far for her! Anyway, I'll see how we get on. Appreciate the pointers.
I know many don't like to hear this but, and I am not saying they solve everything, Microsoft offers support for a fee. I believe you can purchase an incident or a time frame of support. The Internet gives this number 1 (800) 642-7676 to reach them. They will use remote access to try and fix her problem.
Regards,
hlewton

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Thanks, but given the distance/cost of call, plus the time zone differential, I think that might be a difficult option for us to progress from the UK - but it is, nevertheless, useful info for those living States-side. Many thanks anyway. Appreciate the proffered help and suggestion. :cheers:
Regards,
Keith

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Keith, MS might be able to schedule their support around your time zone. IDKFS
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Keith, I had no idea where you lived but perhaps a search will come up with a number for support in the UK.
Regards,
hlewton

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Missing search function:

Just to tidy this part of the thread up: It would appear that my friend is not the only one to have encountered a problem with the search option on upgrading to 2004! I have pasted the following, dated today, taken from the Ask Woody website:

Quote:

After updating to version 2004, I found Windows search had stopped working. Pressing the WIN key and typing did nothing. In File Explorer search, it was not possible to enter or paste any text. Same for the search icon or search box in the Taskbar. I tried all the fixes recommended by Microsoft but none worked. After a day’s trial and error, I figured out a fix…..

Try creating a new user account and see if search works. It worked for my admin account but not for my standard user account. But it did work when I created a new, local account.

So I migrated my original profile to the new account with ForensiT User Profile Wizard Personal Edition (free). Then I deleted the original user account and used Control Panel to rename the new account to the name I had been using before.

All my apps work and all the documents, desktop and personal files are all as they were. The only thing that wasn’t perfect in the migration was all the default apps reverted to the original so web browser went back to Edge, pictures defaulted to Photos, music to Grove etc. But it was easy to set them back to my personal preferences.

Unquote.

Haven't yet had opportunity to discuss with my friend to see if she's happy to try similar. At least she's not alone and perhaps if there are a few more out there, MS might just do something to rectify the situation! (one can but hope).
Regards,
Keith

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

aekyall wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 15:23
Missing search function:

Haven't yet had opportunity to discuss with my friend to see if she's happy to try similar. At least she's not alone and perhaps if there are a few more out there, MS might just do something to rectify the situation! (one can but hope).
I would sure hope so but I am not holding my breathe in anticipation of it actually happening.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

In a similar thread at askwoody.com, someone said that a simple password change on the affected account fixed it for them.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 17:14
In a similar thread at askwoody.com, someone said that a simple password change on the affected account fixed it for them.
I wonder if that is good news, as far as I am concerned, because I do not use passwords. There is only 1 account on each machine and both my wife and I can use any of them, the way it is now.
Regards,
hlewton